Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Kernel Upgrade?  (Read 4077 times)

STiAT

[EN] Kernel Upgrade?
« on: 2012/11/03, 18:13:32 »
Hi guys,

is there a way to get this thing running with a different kernel? Anything special about the siduction kernel (aufs or similar patches) which I should take into account?

The reason is that my notebook I wanted to try siduction on has problems with the graphics driver in the 3.4.4 kernel release (was fixed in 3.5-rc4, best known kernel version was 3.5.3 for me).
This has to do with a lvds display which can do 1600x900, which keeps making problems with lower kernel versions (no desktop, only black with white stripes) which can happen on resolution changes (either kms, x-startup and going to desktop).

Are there any "custom" kernels around? Will there be an upgrade, maybe with the next razor-qt desktop?

Offline michaa7

• User
Kernel Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/11/03, 19:03:55 »
Did you ever dist-upgrade with your installation? Current *siduction* kernel is 3.6.5 .
Code: [Select]
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -d

With the "-d" (=download only) option you will download the needed new packages and you will see which changes will happen if you really start the dist-upgrade (which you should do later outside "X" in runlevel 3 (init 3))
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

STiAT

Kernel Upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: 2012/11/03, 20:13:55 »
Thanks, I just did a full distupgrade. Had to force it, but works :).

Finally proper resolutions and no crashes... just wondering if I can get the fonts to be properly displayed (AA).

Offline michaa7

• User
Kernel Upgrade?
« Reply #3 on: 2012/11/03, 21:42:38 »
Quote from: "STiAT"
... a full distupgrade. Had to force it...

What you mean by "force it"?
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake