Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80050 times)

Offline jaegermeister

• User
But digikam is not installable so if you lose that it is gone for awhile.  I also lost hplip and some other items that I had to reinstall.  As of now the only two packages that I wish I had, which do not work with kf5, are skype and radiotray.  They both need a systemtray on the panel and kf5 does not have that capability (yet).

Thank for this very important information!

Not only I use gimp and digikam but also Skype and radiotray, so it would be great to know, from some of you who have already crossed the river of KDE5, when a systemtray will emerge out of this situation.
THX
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM

Ercolinux

Now skype-unofficial-client exists to use Skype via Web also in linux :

https://github.com/haskellcamargo/skype-unofficial-client

I do  not know the real-usage, because I do not use it. But it could be can help You in these transition days while official Skype package cannot install or work

Santa

Well, after your spies and whatever/whoever gave you the logs to what was said, (I know, you do ask for logs cause your not allowed there and I have witnessed you asking for logs, and i have years of logs myself)  then you know, full stop,   your full of shit then right, when you going to admit it (suck it up)  and apologise to the forum for spreading fud, yes, true fud,  that this can only work with kdenext and that we are all morans that build, install, use, kde/debian sid or in a nice tone,  USE WHAT WE WANT, WITHOUT YOU DICTATED WHAT WE DO, and if us morans choose to do things differntly than you KEEP YOUR SHIT to yourself

How many people running kde/debian sid without kdenext have a working system  ....

Nothing you do, say, or whatever else kind of manipulnation you do, will ever work with me and possibly others

"Manipulation" - is a way to covertly influence someone with indirect, deceptive, or abusive tactics. 

I enjoyed your work before, but the shit you just pulled with me and *possibly* our users, will never get me to use kde-next again, nor will I make a build with it included,  just your attitude alone is disturbing,  you remind me of microsoft and what it tried to do to linux in the early years.

You are Steve Ballmer and I am the cancer (linux)  You are not what I call open source friendly.

I think 100% that you can run and dist-upgrade siduction/debian without kde-next, there is no fud about it. It just works.

Thats it people, shows over, my last post in this thread period.   

TAKE IT AWAY SANTA  .......

Probably soon you won't have to worry about my "abusive tactics". I have been yesterday seriously considering to drop siduction both for development and for my own use. And probably I will go ahead with this decision.

So if you love the debian packages so much, congratulations, because if I finally leave, you will swallow them in all their greateness

It's not a single event what triggered this, but various things in the latest months/year.

tux

Dear Santa, you should keep kde-next up-to-date and working condition. Siduction is rolling release distro and you should keep this on your mind when you doing KDE Next packaging tasks.

plandream

So, considering I do have kdenext in my apt config, should I do a d-u? rip it off and go d-u?

Santa

Dear Santa, you should keep kde-next up-to-date and working condition. Siduction is rolling release distro and you should keep this on your mind when you doing KDE Next packaging tasks.

And that's how it normally works. I already pointed out than the transition of GCC 5 was an exception to this because it was so big that it was impossible to keep it rolling. At the same time dist-upgrading with plain debian sid isn't still safe so we are not providing something worse than debian sid.

And no, it's not as simple as "being aware that siduction is a rolling release and that I should keep that in mind". If you think it's so easy, provide something better instead of saying how people (in this case me) should do their job.

Santa

So, considering I do have kdenext in my apt config, should I do a d-u? rip it off and go d-u?

No, as I pointed out several times, the best option is waiting a few days.

plandream

No, as I pointed out several times, the best option is waiting a few days.

Thanks, I was not entirely sure about it.I will leave it be.

Offline ayla

• User

I did this today, and with some dpkg --purge and force-overwrite and a lot of apt-get -f install at the end I have a running system again, as piper said above...
But on my main system I would prefer it much when Santa would  think it over again and deliver us a smooth d-u with kde-next when the progress of the gcc-transition allows it to do so.

I, for myself, can wait another few weeks/month if I do not have to run after the pieces of my config after.

And, without intention to blame anyone or take a side or whatever, I wish to say this:
I wish for siduction that people concentrate on the jobs they are doing and letting personal stories out of here.

greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2015/09/19, 20:06:39 by ayla »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye

I have been yesterday seriously considering to drop siduction both for development and for my own use. And probably I will go ahead with this decision.

Speaking only for myself, that is unfortunate.  I have enjoyed your KDE contributions.  I have been a sidux/aptosid/siduction user for 8 years or so now, and once in awhile sid users go through a special kind of Hell while major transitions happen.  Good luck with your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline cas

• User
there seem to be two ways to handle the transition
1) follow santa's advice
2) not to  follow santa's advice

both seems viable. I didn't see any need to get emotional about this. Maybe another thread reserved for those  prefering not to follow santa's advice might help to reduce the confusion.

I have been yesterday seriously considering to drop siduction both for development and for my own use. And probably I will go ahead with this decision.
If you leave, which I dont hope, I'd like to say thanks for your work.

Christian

tmhind2

I have to agree with cas on splitting this thread for one important reason. It would cut down on all the confusion between kde-sid and kdenext for those that are just trying to get and keep kde running on their system. I don't know how many times I have had to pick-up the pieces as melmarker say's would happen trying either the sid or the kdenext updates. In end effect splitting the two kde threads would give those of us starting out here on siduction the choice on one or the other to follow and grow.

I also want to THANK BOTH santa and piper for what they have brought to siduction in the past and only hope that they will BOTH continue supporting us newbie's in the future despite their disagreements as loosing either one would be a shame!   

tom2
« Last Edit: 2015/09/20, 11:43:32 by tmhind2 »

Offline ralul

• User
It is just a misunderstanding:
there seem to be two ways to handle the transition
1) follow santa's advice
2) not to  follow santa's advice

both seems viable. I didn't see any need to get emotional about this. Maybe another thread reserved for those  prefering not to follow santa's advice might help to reduce the confusion.
Yes, the misunderstanding happened, because we - all of siduction - captured Santas thread (this one) for a general discussion how to handle the transition.
We should have had two threads from the beginning:
1. Santa explaining how to follow his kdenext, which seemingly follows Kubuntu.
This has the big advantage to have a shorter half year release cycle
2. Howto closely follow Debian sid.
Which in this special case is the faster method (perhaps days or weeks) to get through the C++ transition.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

plandream

You are absolutely right. There is some confusion here and there,that's why I asked. Personally, I have no problem waiting a few extra days for such a humongous transition. My systems work without a problem anyway.

Offline jaegermeister

• User
Which in this special case is the faster method (perhaps days or weeks) to get through the C++ transition.

BTW, which is the current status of migration statistics upstream?

I would also like to take the occasion to say that I wouldn't like to see again what destroyed the sidux project, which was flaming attitude instead of concentrating on how to get jobs done. It would be great if you, guys, would just consider that you are working for the same goals and that technical disputes should just be within technical constraints and never get personal. That's the way siduction was born on the ashes of formerly clashing communities: by reserving a nice space where everybody could have a word without the fear of being put at unease. Thanks everybody.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM