Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Problem with new install  (Read 3328 times)

Offline sotnik

• User
Problem with new install
« on: 2018/01/08, 15:08:16 »
Hello
In a new system after installing windows I followed the next steps:
  • Download latest iso from distrowatch
  • I partitioned the linux disk as follows as root (with boot option), home and swap
  • I installed siduction
On boot it goes to windows

Any help please

Thank you

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Problem with new install
« Reply #1 on: 2018/01/08, 19:46:42 »
I hope you also made a partition for /. Did you use UEFI to install?

Offline sotnik

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2018/01/08, 23:46:33 »
Yes. I created root, home and swap partitions.

How can I use UEFI to install?

The manual is not very clear about UEFI installation.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2018/01/09, 01:25:32 »
Calamares is easy in that regard - they just assume that you know the needed things if you want a manual installation.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline sotnik

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/01/09, 02:09:47 »
Yes it is very easy but it does not work in my case.
What I really ask if there are some "specific" steps that I have to follow beyond the easy steps of Calamares or what might is wrong in my installation.
Thank you

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2018/01/09, 02:43:38 »
@sotnik - try the good old KISS (keep ist stupid, simple) - and ask yourself some questions
a) Should siduction have the whole disk?
b) are there other systems that should stay

a) let calamares reformat and partition the whole disk
b) ok, some things are possible
   * start a live system and create a new partition for the new system. let calamares replace that partition
   * replace one existing partition with the new system
c) manual installation - configure the system right from the begin to fit your needs - and please don't forget things. Sounds easy, but isn't, common pitfalls: UEFi install without a partition for UEFI, Legacy installation with gpt, forget the partition for the start system etc

The main problem i see is that there are some combinations of faults possible that are not fully covered by upstream defined bugs - the most obvious are, but not all. Result: Not working system. In such cases it would be nice to analyze it and file an upstream bug - but i think the very most people prefer a simple install and modify the partition layout afterwards. Good for them, bad for upstream :D

Some things will change with the new kpmcore 3.3.xy and the crypt and lvm integration - these things will improve the handling of trivial bugs too, hopefully. We will see it - or not.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline sotnik

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/01/09, 03:35:25 »
   a) Should siduction have the whole disk?  [NO]
 b) are there other systems that should stay. [YES]

a) let calamares reformat and partition the whole disk. [NO]
 b) ok, some things are possible
    * start a live system and create a new partition for the new system. let calamares replace that partition [I did it]
    * replace one existing partition with the new system [I let calamares to use for / and home the partitions created by gparted.]
 c) manual installation - configure the system right from the begin to fit your needs - and please don't forget things. Sounds easy, but isn't, common pitfalls: UEFi install without a partition for UEFI, Legacy installation with gpt, forget the partition for the start system etc [HERE, I think, IS THE PROBLEM]
 The got the PC with pre-installed windows (possible with MBR)

The main problem i see is that there are some combinations of faults possible that are not fully covered by upstream defined bugs - the most obvious are, but not all. Result: Not working system. In such cases it would be nice to analyze it and file an upstream bug - but i think the very most people prefer a simple install and modify the partition layout afterwards. Good for them, bad for upstream

Some things will change with the new kpmcore 3.3.xy and the crypt and lvm integration - these things will improve the handling of trivial bugs too, hopefully. We will see it - or not. [I dont use  crypt or lvm]

Probably I have to format the disk and reinstall everything.
 Thank you  

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2018/01/09, 08:47:31 »
You could look at this (with the help of a translator like DeepL).

Offline sotnik

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2018/01/10, 22:51:35 »
Ok everything is OK.
I changed MBR to GPT and siduction installed correctly but windows didn't.
Then I changed back toy MBR and I realized that there was a "legacy" option in the bios. After selecting legacy, both windows and siduction installed correctly.

Thanks for the help

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #9 on: 2018/01/12, 14:35:40 »
Glad it works for you.