BUGS > 2013.2 RC1

[solved] can't set up passwordless login on KDE/AMD64

<< < (2/4) > >>

michaa7:
What is lightdm offering kdm doesn't provide?

As much as I can understand and appreciate to have a default DM for all flavors, I wonder why the decission went for lightdm and not for kdm to do so?
BTW, I allways use kdm for all installations since kanotix times, but once I tried lightdm, and I felt it APITA to configure it. That was time ago.

melmarker:
there are several reasons for the change:
* we want to have only one DM for all flavours because of the needed manpower
* kdm is a pita to customize
* kdm is dead - see http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2013/03/logging-into-plasma-workspaces-2.html
* lightdm works good with systemd 204-x
* i don't like kdm - see reasons above

To be clear: lightdm is a compromize - it's mature, stable, scriptable, looks good - bad thing is: Canonical is behind it, so we should have alternatives for the future. This future can be eventually sddm - but it is in a very early state.

--- Quote from: Maximilian Robespierre, 1790 --- On ne saurait faire une omelette sans casser des oeufs.

--- End quote ---

By the way - Three hours before the release of the rc1 we decide, that gnome should come with lightdm too because of major faults in the combination gdm3/systemd. :) - So we think, that lightdm is the best solution for now. If anyone don't like lightdm, feel free to purge it and go with siduction-settings-gdm3-december, siduction-settings-kdm-december or siduction-settings-slim-december, but keep in mind that we are not able nor willing to support or develop these DMs with full power. If there are bugs - we would be glad to accept and apply patches.

dibl:

--- Quote from: devil on 2013/12/24, 01:04:42 ---Removing kdm and installing siduction-settings-lightdm-december should do the trick.

--- End quote ---

Wow -- it really is just that simple.  I am impressed again!  Thank you (team) for this great work.

towo:

--- Quote ---As much as I can understand and appreciate to have a default DM for all flavors, I wonder why the decission went for lightdm and not for kdm to do so?
--- End quote ---
Why should anyone want kdm in xfce or gnome flavour?
No one, who wants those DE's want the KDE depends, which come with KDM.

ayla:
As I see it it is a win.
My system is up from hitting enter on grub screen to full funktion in lesser than half the time it needed before.
Of course this is due to systemd, but I guess lightdm also has it's share on this.
A litttle more ore not so comfortable work on configuration, ok. I can live with that very well.

Again a good job, team.

thanks
ayla

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version