Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] no siduction os in grub menu  (Read 2566 times)

Offline delta1071

[EN] no siduction os in grub menu
« on: 2023/02/11, 12:39:09 »
Hi all,
This has probably been answered, but I couldn't figure out how to resolve this issue.
My PC has two HDDs. One is an SSD that has only Ubuntu 22.10 installed and is called /dev/nvme0n1. GRUB is installed on a 500MB FAT EFI partition on this drive at /dev/nvme0n1p1. My second drive is a 1TB SATA drive with Ubuntu-Unity 22.04 installed. This drive contains 4 partitions: sda1 (the Unity installation), sda2 (a 16GB swap partition), and two partitions I created for a Siduction install (sda3, which is a 500 MB FAT EFI partition flagged as "boot-efi"), and sda4, a 300GB ext4 partition for the Siduction OS.
After successfully (no errors reported) installing Siduction, it does not appear on the GRUB menu.
Can anyone tell me exactly how to set up the partititoning and what I need to do to get Siduction
to boot from the GRUB menu? TIA for any advice offered.

delta1071
« Last Edit: 2023/02/11, 12:45:19 by delta1071 »

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: no siduction os in grub menu
« Reply #1 on: 2023/02/11, 21:06:15 »
Hi delta1071 -- I was hoping someone who actually knows the answer would reply, since it has been many years since I had a multi-boot Linux system. That was with the previous version of grub that used the OS prober to find the second OS.

Today, the os-prober is disabled by default, but I think you can enable it again. Here is a page, using Win10, that explains how to enable the os-prober, then run update-grub and it should find the other OS on your other hdd. No guarantee, but hopefully this will set you on the correct course to solve it.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline delta1071

« Reply #2 on: 2023/02/12, 13:20:45 »
@dibl Thanks for responding. I had forgotten to add the OS_PROBER line after installing Ubuntu 23.04 a while back. After adding it and rebooting, there was still no Siduction boot menu entry. Looking at the 'boot/grub/grub.cfg' file in the Siduction root folder, I noticed that ALL my installed OSes (including Siduction) were listed there, whereas the grub.cfg files in my Ubuntu 23.04 and Ubuntu 22.10 installs still contained only the Ubuntu OS entries. So, I saved the boot.cfg file in my 23.04 install (I had installed grub to this drive's EFI partition when I installed the OS), then copied the grub.cfg in the Siduction /boot/grub folder to the 23.04 /boot/grub folder and rebooted. Now Siduction is showing on the boot menu. BTW, I had already cloned both of my other OSes to a USB drive so I could recover in case things went south. 

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2023/02/12, 19:22:46 »
Good to see you got it working. I hope you understand that the grub.cfg file that you copied over to Ubuntu will be overwritten the next time that an update triggers "update-grub" ...
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/02/12, 19:25:11 »
The Problem is, the System does not use siduction grub!
So all changes, to get siduction into the grub menu, has to be done in the system, which manages Grub.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline delta1071

« Reply #5 on: 2023/02/13, 09:38:58 »
The Problem is, the System does not use siduction grub!
So all changes, to get siduction into the grub menu, has to be done in the system, which manages Grub.
I'm not sure what changes to make in the system to get siduction to appear on the grub boot menu. If you're saying that an entry for siduction needs to be added to grub from inside siduction, I don't know how to do that.

delta1071

Offline dsat

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/02/13, 12:41:20 »
Hi,

my grub is managed by manjaro. os-prober is installed. At the end of file /etc/default/grub I had to add the following line:
Code: [Select]
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=falseAfter a
Code: [Select]
update-gruband a reboot other installed system appear in grub menu.

Regards dsat

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/02/13, 17:04:09 »
To elaborate on this a bit for better understanding: GRUB2 has a function for including the external tool os-prober to recognize other operating systems installed on the same computer and to create corresponding menu entries for them. This function has been deactivated by default on many distributions since the spring of 2022 with the arrival of GRUB 2.0.6, as the automatic execution of os-prober and the creation of boot entries based on this data is a potential attack vector if Secure Boot is used.

Siduction has deactivated that change in GRUB, so os-prober still works with siduction. But, as dsat has shown, with Manjaro and other distributions you have to enable os-prober first. Hope that makes it clearer.