Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Fresh Install No Root Password  (Read 2307 times)

Offline eriefisher

• User
[EN] Fresh Install No Root Password
« on: 2023/02/28, 15:43:29 »
I downloaded and installed the Xorg version last night with the hopes of builing up Fluxbox. The installation went trouble free, however, upon reboot into the new system I had no root password. I had to boot back into the live media and chroot in to set/reset it. This worked no problem but I was wondering if anyone has come accross it? I know I filled it in while installing. Possible bug? I'd have to reinstall to try and reproduce it.

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: Fresh Install No Root Password
« Reply #1 on: 2023/02/28, 19:09:01 »
If by root you mean sudo, then that is correct.  ;)

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/02/28, 20:24:20 »
I thought that may have been the case but also a no-go. I don't normally use sudo and never set it up. When I tried it though I was told I was not a member of the sudoers. As I expected.
Calamares specifically asks for a user and a root password. the user password worked fine. Tested at login. Root password did not. Unless I entered it wrong, twice! 

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/03/01, 10:32:56 »
CAPS maybe? Nothing else comes to mind.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/03/01, 12:42:38 »
Thanks devil. I tried that as well. No worries though, as mentioned, I chrooted in and fixed it. I just thought I would mention it and see if anyone else had encoutered it. 

Offline edlin

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2023/03/01, 12:50:21 »
I just did a test install with the official Xorg image. No adjustments except for the language.
The password also contained characters that are different on the German and US keyboards.
After the installation I could log in as root without any problems. So it should not be a general problem.

edlin
Der Kluge lernt aus allem und von jedem,
der Normale aus seinen Erfahrungen
und der Dumme weiß alles besser.

Sokrates

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/03/01, 12:57:35 »
Thanks for testing edlin. That's a good thing. Obviously something went strange on my end then. Likely something I did/didb't do correctly.