Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  dpkg interupted  (Read 3123 times)

Offline titan

• User
dpkg interupted
« on: 2014/10/20, 19:16:37 »
I did a du yesterday and it failed near the end with an error

dpkg was interrupted you must run  'dpkg -- configure -a'

doing this it start to process the upgrade then goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner, I have left it 30 min but nothing happens and it will not respond to any keys I have to turn it of but it reboots OK.

The last thing it is processing before the blank screen is something like f11 live initscripts I can't read it all as it goes by so fast.

I have tried again today but it is still the same and nobody else seems to have a problem, any suggestions.

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: dpkg interupted
« Reply #1 on: 2014/10/20, 20:26:29 »
While you have the blank screen with blinking cursor, it should be possible to reach tty1 with hitting Strg+Alt+F1. Login as root and perform
Code: [Select]
apt-get install -f
Then look if you are hit by the same as in [solved] nvidia-driver 340.46-2 breaks KDE .
Last but not least, messages regarding live-initscripts (if it really was live what you have seen) should not occur on an installed system, so
apt-get purge fll-* would be the solution for that.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/10/20, 21:47:49 »
While you have the blank screen with blinking cursor, it should be possible to reach tty1 with hitting Strg+Alt+F1. Login as root and perform
apt-get install -f
Then look if you are hit by the same as in [solved] nvidia-driver 340.46-2 breaks KDE .
Last but not least, messages regarding live-initscripts (if it really was live what you have seen) should not occur on an installed system, so
apt-get purge fll-* would be the solution for that.

I am already in tty1 control+alt+F2 is not available it will not accept any command only 'dpkg -- configure -a' which goes back to blank screen.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/10/21, 11:48:56 »
It is not posible to input any apt or dpkg commands as   'dpkg -- configure -a' is the only option.
I have found if I delete  /var/lib/dpkg/updates I can go through a dist-upgrade again which fails as before when the upgrade reaches f11 live-initscripts I have tried removing it with

apt-get purge f11-*  but it says it is not installed

The upgrade is definitely failing at  "setting up f11 live-initscripts 2014 10 14"

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #4 on: 2014/10/21, 13:02:29 »
hello titan,

please try the lowercase of FLL (fll is short for fullstory, and there is no eleven involved).

greetings
musca

β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/10/21, 13:11:47 »
hello titan,

please try the lowercase of FLL (fll is short for fullstory, and there is no eleven involved).

greetings
musca

musca, many thanks that fixed it. I must get better glasses!

Ian