Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Double Commander Anomaly  (Read 3486 times)

UP2L8

Double Commander Anomaly
« on: 2014/04/30, 20:51:26 »
Double Commander was upgraded to v0.5.9 when I d-u on 04/19/2014.  I have locked tabs in Double Commander.  When I click on another tab, the previous tab disappears.  This appears to only be an issue under Sid/Siduction, since I'm running the same program under Debian Stable without an issue, although I'm running it from a static portable build.

Thankfully, the tabs don't disappear permanently.  If I close and re-open Double Commander, the tabs are all there again.
« Last Edit: 2014/04/30, 21:05:14 by UP2L8 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Double Commander Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: 2014/04/30, 20:57:31 »
i think nobody can help you with that - i tried double commander myself and dropped it, because the ui is to buggy.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #2 on: 2014/04/30, 21:01:39 »
v0.5.8 worked fine under Siduction and v0.5.9 works fine under Debian Stable and Debian Testing (I'm running it on SolydX), so it may not be an issue with Double Commander.

UP2L8

« Reply #3 on: 2014/04/30, 21:50:52 »
On 04/05/2014, libfm-tools was upgraded.  I wonder if this might have something to do with the disappearing tabs issue under Double Commander.  I checked the bug reports on Debian.org, but there are no current reports for libfm-tools.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2014/04/30, 23:30:42 »
One should also look at eventually involved updates in fp and lazarus - but i'm not interested in double commander anymore, this program is coding and layout horror pure - not my business.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

UP2L8

« Reply #5 on: 2014/05/01, 01:14:15 »
I can't speak about the coding behind Double Commander as I've never looked at it.  On the other hand, I don't really care as long as it works.

I disagree with you about the layout (GUI?) in Double Commander being a horror, but to each his/her own.  I enjoy using the application and will continue using it.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2014/05/01, 01:53:26 »
We are not interested in and don't care about doublecmd - if you encounter problems with it, please file a bug against debian - maybe that helps

Querying Debian BTS for reports on doublecmd (source)...
3 bug reports found:

Bugs with severity serious
  1) #741792  doublecmd: FTBFS: install: cannot stat '*.so*': No such file or directory  [RESOLVED]

Bugs with severity important
  2) #738774  doublecmd-common: often sigsegv after changing theme/window decorations in xfce
  3) #746015  doublecmd: Please update doublecmd to 0.6.0 to resolve problem with tabs disappearing

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/05/01, 15:54:24 »
Debian Bug Report :  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746015 , you might want to wait until 0.6.0 is available.

As I like dual pane filemanagers myself, a fast and lightweight alternative could be Xfe  http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=home
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

UP2L8

« Reply #8 on: 2014/05/06, 03:02:42 »
Thanks for the info, der_bud.  I forgot about checking the Debian bug reports.  I did check the Double Commander site and didn't see anything there.

I think I checked out Xfe awhile back when I was playing around with different file managers.  I don't remember the particulars, but I decided it wasn't for me.  My favorite file managers under Linux are:  PCManFM, Double Commander, and SpaceFM.
« Last Edit: 2014/05/06, 03:05:45 by UP2L8 »

Harakiri

« Reply #9 on: 2014/05/06, 06:58:08 »
I had this problem with the gtk-version of dc too. Then i tried the qt-version which doesn´t have this behaviour. Though i guess it pertains the gtk-version only.

UP2L8

« Reply #10 on: 2014/05/06, 11:57:47 »
@Harakiri...Perhaps.  I am using the GTK version.  I need to be more specific in the future.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2014/05/06, 18:49:26 »
the most time i spend with file managers is when i fix or compile these things :) UP2L8 - if you like pcmanfm that much, use it. pcmanfm has now got dual pane support

EDIT: the very most things i need to do with files are directory and file comparisations - no filemanager can do this for me. For that reason i have bcompare3 installed - can be a basic filemanager too 8)

UP2L8

« Reply #12 on: 2014/05/07, 08:25:56 »
@melmarker...

Actually, I use all three of the ones I mentioned.  I take turns using each one a different week.

"pcmanfm has now got dual pane support."  Hmm...I use it and wasn't aware of the new dual pane feature.  I'll have to check it out.  Thank you for the info.

UP2L8

« Reply #13 on: 2014/05/08, 02:30:29 »
UP2L8 - if you like pcmanfm that much, use it. pcmanfm has now got dual pane support
Just checked out the new dual-pane feature in PCManFM.  I'm not impressed.

Double Commander

PCManFM

SpaceFM
« Last Edit: 2014/05/08, 03:29:13 by UP2L8 »