Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Just a quick Hello  (Read 7925 times)

BC

[EN] Just a quick Hello
« on: 2012/12/30, 15:43:52 »
Finally I found something I can live with based on Sid.

It Doesn't hurt that there is a biker on the wallpaper. Will remind me that I can put this laptop up in a couple of months and go ride one of mine that are in the shop.

Nice distro!!

timc

RE: Just a quick Hello
« Reply #1 on: 2012/12/30, 16:15:13 »
Welcome, BC.

Tim

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/12/30, 16:52:03 »
I used to ride BSA and Norton in the 70s, then got distracted by life. Gonna pick it up again soonish. So feel welcome, with or without a bike :)

greetz
devil

BC

« Reply #3 on: 2012/12/30, 19:44:59 »
I've been riding for 35 years. I've got 2 Harley RoadKings.

I've been disgruntled lately with the direction of the major distros. Been looking for something easy enough for my wife to use and save me a headache. I finally set her up on Mint 14 running cinnamon. I figured it was newbie freindly enough for her that she shouldn't have any issues.

I've reloaded my system over 5 times a week or more for the last few months looking for something I wanted. I was about to download the netinstall for testing and upgrade it to Sid. I've been looking at Siduction for awhile and downloaded paintitblack last night. I liked what I saw but not a big fan of Gnome 3. So I downloaded ridersonthestorm xfce this morning while I was drinking coffee and installed it. Did a little apt-getting to upgrade, dist-upgrade to get it current and new kernel. Installed the stuff I wanted and removed the stuff I didn't want and now I can relax, and stop this constant distro jumping.

Back to what I like, debian on the edge. Crisp and clean.

Now I think I will have a beer and a shot of JD and play for awhile. :lol:

BC

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/12/30, 19:59:54 »
Welcome BC, this made me enable my little two-wheel avatar, I am also enjoying the bike on the wallpaper and are waiting for the snow, ice and salt to go away from the roads  :)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Just a quick Hello
« Reply #5 on: 2012/12/31, 00:13:57 »
Quote from: "vilde"
Welcome BC, this made me enable my little two-wheel avatar, I am also enjoying the bike on the wallpaper and are waiting for the snow, ice and salt to go away from the roads  :)

Well vilde bet you Swedes are also fond of big motorbikes

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Just a quick Hello
« Reply #6 on: 2012/12/31, 15:38:00 »
Welcome, BC.

Your home state is lovely -- I toured through the northern parts of it on my '77 Kaw KZ-1000, back in the day.  Slept surreptitiously in a state park somewhere around Berryville or Eureka Springs before we headed on around Table Rock Lake in Missouri.

Lots of very skilled Linux users are here -- ask away if you have any issues with your siduction system(s).
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

BC

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #7 on: 2013/01/01, 16:25:23 »
Quote from: "dibl"
Welcome, BC.

Your home state is lovely -- I toured through the northern parts of it on my '77 Kaw KZ-1000, back in the day.  Slept surreptitiously in a state park somewhere around Berryville or Eureka Springs before we headed on around Table Rock Lake in Missouri.

Lots of very skilled Linux users are here -- ask away if you have any issues with your siduction system(s).

I ride to Eureka a couple of times a year. We have lots of nice winding roads with rolling hills. It makes for good therapy to clear the mind. Theres alot of nice places to camp and things to see. The MC I ride with can set the dirrection for the day, or I can just follow the front tire and see where it takes me.

Having no issues so far. One of the things I love about Debian. a little reading and a trip to a search engine solves alot of problems.

sqlpython

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #8 on: 2013/01/05, 19:31:08 »
Welcome!
 A bit late and Hello back at you.

Great Devs/Users here.
 I'm sure you will be using Siduction for a long time.

BTW, Im a 35 yr Two Wheeler also. My ride is a Colnago.. ;^)

HunkirDowne

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #9 on: 2013/02/21, 00:16:55 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
Welcome!
 A bit late and Hello back at you.

Great Devs/Users here.
 I'm sure you will be using Siduction for a long time.

Agree on both counts.

Quote from: "sqlpython"
BTW, Im a 35 yr Two Wheeler also. My ride is a Colnago.. ;^)

Had to google that one.  Can't seem to find the engine on it though.  :-D

It's been a few years of life since then for me, but was fond of the little Suzuki 450 cafe-style bike.  Had enough juice to survive the US interstates for short rides and great around town.  But really excelled on the winding mountain roads out in Northern California.

I first saw the bike back in the late '70's at the Austin (Texas) Aquafestival.  Some 'oldish' guy (I was a teenager back then) would routinely smoke the competition in his class on one.

I could take corners pretty fast on wet pavement and drag the pegs with confidence (counter steering) as long as there was no pine straw or, heaven help me, that Texas kaleechi.

(For the uninitiated, kaleechi is lime rock dust that, when dry is about as slick as owl guano on a brass door knob.  When wet, it really gets slippery.  The only thing in the universe that I know of that could possibly have a negative friction coefficient.)

Ironwalker

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #10 on: 2013/03/15, 05:15:43 »
Welcome, another harley rider....born into the life here as well! :)

Offline Lanzi

• User
Just a quick Hello
« Reply #11 on: 2013/03/15, 17:28:27 »
welcome from me too :-)

HunkirDowne

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #12 on: 2013/03/17, 15:23:17 »
You Harley riders!  ;-)

The one that I *did* have my eye on was a (custom, of course) stripped down 80 inch Evolution that was stroked to 96 ci.  The guy had a fat slick on the rear for drag racing but for "normal" street he kept a (still fat) regular road tire, although I cannot remember the brand.  It wasn't for sale and I doubt I could have afforded his price if he were to even think about it, which I doubt he would.

While I don't want one for myself, I do respect most of what Harley's done in the past few decades and certainly like the custom jobs I've seen.  If I thought the forum was conducive to it, I'd ask you to post pics, but maybe you have elsewhere and could provide the links.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Just a quick Hello
« Reply #13 on: 2013/03/17, 21:11:25 »
This is my girlfriends Harley, I am just visiting. We are doing a lot of riding in around Charleston SC right now.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Just a quick Hello
« Reply #14 on: 2013/03/17, 21:25:29 »
Quote from: "devil"
This is my girlfriends Harley, I am just visiting. We are doing a lot of riding in around Charleston SC right now.

You are 14 hours, 2 minutes and 863 miles / 1 389 km away, and you didn't say anything ;) lol

Nice bike :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck