Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] Login dialog hangs often after writing password on login  (Read 6670 times)

Offline vilde

• User
I've had it for a while, now it happens on one other computer here. After writing password in log in screen, screen hangs, nothing can be done. I have to do CTRL-ALT-F1 log in as root and do init 3 and then init 5 to restart x, then next time it works to log in often but not always and I have to restart x again.

Both machines are xfce, 64 bit.
« Last Edit: 2014/04/24, 13:12:58 by musca »

timc

Re: Screen hangs often after writing password on login
« Reply #1 on: 2014/03/29, 17:25:59 »
Yep. I had similar problems a few times in the past; I never could get any real insight on what was causing it or help fixing it. I tried so many things, I can't really recall what resolved it, but I'll look through my notes and see if they can jog my memory.

But, in the end, I stopped running Slim and started logging in to a console and running startx. Primitive, but it always seems to work.

Tim

Later - My notes contain a lot of mess. Some of it involved moving nm-applet startup from /etc/xdg to LXDE startup. But I later decided that that had not really worked. Then it seemed to disappear after a kernel upgrade (3.11.2 to 3.11.3). Later on, I disabled network-manager entirely and startted configuring static IP's with ceni. Take all of this with a grain of salt, because I still have no idea what the real problem was or why any of this may have fixed it. But, it hasn't happened to me for the past couple of months.
« Last Edit: 2014/03/29, 17:43:07 by timc »

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/03/29, 17:35:09 »
I have lightdm

I think this thread is on the wrong place, this is not a 2013.2 bug, my installations is older.
« Last Edit: 2014/03/29, 17:46:04 by vilde »

ghettoblaster

« Reply #3 on: 2014/03/29, 18:17:09 »
Same problem here, i'm still investigating what could cause this. Its not reproduceable but happens now and then.
Code: [Select]
Kernel: 3.13-7.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.12.3
           Distro: siduction 13.2.0 December - kde - (201312310241)
also lightdm.

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/03/29, 18:50:50 »
I have the same issue with lightdm.  That being said I haven't had the problem recently. 

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/03/29, 18:56:33 »
I think lightdm and/or lightdm.conf has been updated several times the last month, every time you get the question if you want to keep the old one, I always keep the old one, I have my own settings there and maybe also siduction has that?

From an amateur, can it be that lightdm.conf has to be updated to fit with the updated lightdm?

Offline terroreek

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/03/29, 19:20:37 »
It could be I always replace my modified one with a new one and then after the update re-apply my changes.  I don't do much other than change the wallpaper and gtk theme. 

-edit-
after applying the latest round of updates it did it to me again.  I think it only happens when I incorrectly put in my password. 
« Last Edit: 2014/03/29, 20:01:49 by terroreek »

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/03/30, 01:52:40 »
As a rule I always keep the old one.  Having new config files overwriting the ones that your system has set up could cause problems. 

BTW - I have had that screen lockup with lightdm also.  I'm also experiencing a wait after entereing the username and hitting tab.  Something is running in the background, because if I wait before logging in, there is no pause before the cursor appears on the password field.

I believe that kdm isn't really being maintained any more, and kde intends to switch to lightdm, so, we might as well get used to it, and try to figure out what's buggy about it. 

I don't see much to go on in /etc/lightdm.  lightdm.conf seems to be all commented out.  I also noticed that I have lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf in that folder, when I'm using KDE, and there seems to be a lightdm-kde-greeter available.  I may need to play around with it a bit.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/03/30, 08:46:43 »
I had a similar issue and somehow siduction-settings-lightdm-december was held during d-u. Install siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december and see if that fixes it, it should automatically replace siduction-settings-lightdm-december. Fixed it for me.
See http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4283.msg35841#msg35841

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/03/30, 10:05:38 »
I had a similar issue and somehow siduction-settings-lightdm-december was held during d-u. Install siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december and see if that fixes it, it should automatically replace siduction-settings-lightdm-december. Fixed it for me.
See http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4283.msg35841#msg35841
I installed siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december, it didn't remove any package. I will see what happens now, after starting this thread the problem didn't appear, it's always difficult with random faults. 

Edit: Now the problem appeared on the other computer after installation of siduction-settings-lightdm-gtk-december, so that didn't do it.
« Last Edit: 2014/03/30, 22:41:38 by vilde »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #10 on: 2014/04/04, 00:46:18 »
Hello,

the thread was moved to Upgrade-Warnings, because the error is not in the original release.

After typing the password the login dialog freezes.
Killing -9 the ligtdm-gtk-greeter lets the login continue.

Downgrading the package lightdm-gtk-greeter fixes the issue.
Here follows the procedure for amd64 systems.

# cd /var/cache/apt/archives
# wget -Nc http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20140213T041153Z/pool/main/l/lightdm-gtk-greeter/lightdm-gtk-greeter_1.8.1-1_amd64.deb
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/lightdm-gtk-greeter_1.8.1-1_amd64.deb
# apt-mark hold lightdm-gtk-greeter

greetings
musca

« Last Edit: 2014/04/04, 01:03:46 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/04/04, 13:10:39 »
Hello,

the thread was moved to Upgrade-Warnings, because the error is not in the original release.

After typing the password the login dialog freezes.
Killing -9 the ligtdm-gtk-greeter lets the login continue.

Downgrading the package lightdm-gtk-greeter fixes the issue.
Here follows the procedure for amd64 systems.

# cd /var/cache/apt/archives
# wget -Nc http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20140213T041153Z/pool/main/l/lightdm-gtk-greeter/lightdm-gtk-greeter_1.8.1-1_amd64.deb
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/lightdm-gtk-greeter_1.8.1-1_amd64.deb
# apt-mark hold lightdm-gtk-greeter

greetings
musca
Did this on the two computers I had problem with and so far it's working now, thank you musca

Offline terroreek

• User
Re: Login dialog hangs often after writing password on login
« Reply #12 on: 2014/04/04, 18:25:45 »
did this on my desktop that has this issue and no problems with the login-screen freezing yet.

thanks musca

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #13 on: 2014/04/10, 19:28:45 »
Hello,

i didn't mention it, but there was a corresponding bug in the debian bts.

Also the update to version 1.8.3-1 didn't solve it for me.

greetings
musca

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #14 on: 2014/04/23, 17:58:18 »
Hello,
lightdm-gtk-greeter  1.8.4-1  arrived in debian unstable
and I exactly did  1 (one) successful login with it, we need more testers.

greetings
musca