Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] apt, apt-get trying to understand?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] apt, apt-get trying to understand?
« on: 2016/12/03, 00:53:50 »
There have been a lot of writing the last days in a topic in "Upgrade Warnings" about apt and how to use it on siduction dist-upgrades. Melmarker suggest that it's good to get familiar with apt, that's a good idea. There has been some other posts about this in the past and I tried to find out some and have red a little on The Debian Administrator's Handbook.  I must admit that I don't really understand but I understand that things have changed a bit.

Since the Kanotix time I have learned to use apt-get update and then apt-get (install), (dist-upgrade) or (purge) and so on.

Is it recommender to allways use apt instead of apt-get in siduction now? And shall we then do apt full-upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade?

After reading in man apt I got this, do I understand right?

• apt upgrade is upgrading installed packages and install new ones if it's necessary but will not remove any packages.
  • apt  full-upgrade (the same as apt dist-upgrade) is doing the same as apt upgrade but will also remove packages if it's needed (this is the recommended command to use with siduction dist-upgrade?)
Would be nice to have some comments about this, thanks.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: apt, apt-get trying to understand?
« Reply #3 on: 2016/12/03, 14:56:04 »
you will be disapointed trying to follow the examples in the last link as they only work with latest Ubuntu.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/12/03, 15:17:17 »
you will be disapointed trying to follow the examples in the last link as they only work with latest Ubuntu.
Ok, thank you devil, this is one of the difficulties when I try to learn a little on Internet,  a huge amount of information, but how to know what's relevant for my purpose?

In this case I only want to know how to manage my computers with siduction on.

So again, shall we now use apt instead of apt-get?

apt full-upgrade
is the same as apt dist-upgrade and that shall be used for du or?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2016/12/03, 15:36:37 »

Yes true, that slipped in there from my notes  :( which is now deleted

vilde

I use

apt update && apt full-upgrade -d
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

tmhind2

« Reply #6 on: 2016/12/03, 18:02:52 »
I have had good luck " said modestly" using both apt full-upgrade "unless it wants to remove a list of programs" then I use apt upgrade. I have found that in so doing I can keep my systems up to date until a full-upgrade only removes those packages that are out dated. Knock on wood it seems to be working for me, would appreciate your feedback.

Tom