Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] I want last loged in user to be visible in login manager  (Read 3479 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] I want last loged in user to be visible in login manager
« on: 2017/04/06, 15:27:51 »
I did a new installation today to test a computer and also the last version of siduction, xfce. In login manager my use is not pre written. As I understand in  sddm.conf "RememberLastUser=true" shall make the last user be pre written on next login, but it's not.

What shall I do, I'm to lazy to type my username every login ;)

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Re: I want last loged in user to be visible in login manager
« Reply #1 on: 2017/04/06, 17:08:03 »
hi vilde,

for security reasons we, mostly i ;), decided to disable this feature and don't enable it again!

So if you want that feature, you have  three possibilities:
a. take another sddm theme
b. search for the Main.qml (the theme called patience) and remove the right comment -> i think row 211 -> //text: userModel.lastUser
c. leave it as it is

It is your choice!
 greetz hendrikL

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/04/06, 17:52:14 »
Hi hendrikL,

Just out of curiosity - what is the security impact of "remember last user"?

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/04/06, 18:03:33 »
hi vilde,

for security reasons we, mostly i ;) , decided to disable this feature and don't enable it again!

So if you want that feature, you have  three possibilities:
a. take another sddm theme
b. search for the Main.qml (the theme called patience) and remove the right comment -> i think row 211 -> //text: userModel.lastUser
c. leave it as it is

It is your choice!
 greetz hendrikL

Did it, used possibility b. removed the " // " and now my user name is there. For me personally there is no problem with the little less security.

Thank you hendrikL :)

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #4 on: 2017/04/06, 18:05:00 »
example,
you work in a company, the computer has a multiuser-setup (okay it is easy to find out if you loged in), or your laptop get stolen/lost, than it is not so easy to  brake into your home for example, you need both user and pw, (for similar  reasons i don't use sudo)
So it secure, in my opinion, not to show the login name(s) of the user(s) which are using  that computer.

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/04/06, 20:55:48 »
ok, your concern is understood, but if you steal my thinkpad you have to enter a bios pw for start up that's not easy to crack (no, cmos battery removal doesn't work), then you have to enter a different hd encryption pw to reach the sddm login. The laptop is always switched off if taken on the road. Most time at home the system is hibernating and you have to enter only the user pw (also different from the both above), but you will see the user anyway.
At a shared PC in a company a simple "ls -l /home" will reveal the latest changes and the other user names if you're logged in. And if an attacker has physical access to your computer, only strong encryption makes it at least more difficult to get your data unless the attacker works for one of the "services".
But sometimes security through obscurity works. ;)

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2017/04/06, 21:06:35 »
@horo:  in your case autologin might be sufficient if you are the only user and don't use suspend or such things
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2017/04/06, 23:20:15 »
The security level on computers in my home are not so high, I don't really find a need for that. With five computers that are used all of them nearly every day one is a music machine in my garage,  another is the multimedia center in the living room, used for tv, film and music , both of them are autologin. The other three computers you need to log in to get them started, this is mostly for not getting children or any other visitors to easily mess things up. But boot them with a usb stick or demount the hard disks and connect them to another computer and you will have access to all files.

All my backups and saved data/photos and similar are on external hard disks, not encrypted but important things are on more than one place.

I don't even always lock my house when I'm not home, I don't really want to live like a guardian of my belongings, like always lock everything, encrypt all data or spending most of my time being afraid that I will loose something. Carrying around keys remembering a huge amounts of passwords it's not my thing, if I would it would make me a slave of my data and my belongings, I don't want that.

But, don't get me wrong, above is my life and my opinion, I have no problem with that others want high security or need it different and with top security. And yes I appreciate that siduction developers put the safety on high priority.

I also appreciate the quick answer I got today from hendrikL that made me being able to change my security to my level.

Linux, and therefore siduction with a good user forum gives everybody a choice :)

Edited: In my amateur opinion, starting my android phone and using it for money transfers, tax declarations and all communications is one million times less secure than my siduction computers at home.

« Last Edit: 2017/04/06, 23:27:03 by vilde »

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2017/04/07, 12:58:19 »
I use an other sddm-Theme tailored to my needs.
It shows the users side by side, a clock, a picture as background and the last user is selected and you only need to key in your password. I think I forked it from the maui theme, but nor for sure.
I could provide you with it and also .the coresponding sddm.conf.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2017/04/07, 23:51:56 »
I use an other sddm-Theme tailored to my needs.
It shows the users side by side, a clock, a picture as background and the last user is selected and you only need to key in your password. I think I forked it from the maui theme, but nor for sure.
I could provide you with it and also .the coresponding sddm.conf.

regards

Reiner
I only have one user on my computers, I'm fine with the solution I got from hendrikL. But thank you for the offer Reiner

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2017/04/11, 03:02:53 »
Thanks for this question and solution. I'm the sole user and prefer this functionality. Saves me a whole six key presses!  8)