Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] claws-mail  (Read 3165 times)

Offline vayu

• User
[EN] claws-mail
« on: 2017/10/02, 06:05:42 »
Many updates ago, du wanted to remove claws-mail-fancy-plugin which is what renders HTML email.  Searching the web I found that one of its libraries (I think libwebkitgtk) had security issues and wasn't going to be updated. Meanwhile the clawsmail people apparently aren't planning to update to gtk3 anytime soon.  So I put claws-mail on hold and have been happy with having it on hold for the time being. (I don't care if I use an old program for a long time).   The last update or so, there weren't any conflicts on du, but clawsmail HTML rendering is now broke.  By any chance does anyone know what library was updated that might have broken it and what I might do to get it back?

Offline seasons

• User
Re: claws-mail
« Reply #1 on: 2017/10/02, 17:27:40 »
Have you tried running it in a terminal to see if you get an informative error?

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/10/02, 17:48:39 »
Thanks.  It turns out not all HTML mail is not working.  Some does work.  So I tried to compare the terminal output of one that works to one that doesn't.  I couldn't see a difference.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/10/03, 08:58:15 »
Claws mail is not designed to compose or handle HTML mail, the plugin was just a fudge. If HTML is required then Claws is the wrong application.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/10/03, 15:55:17 »
Claws mail is not designed to compose or handle HTML mail, the plugin was just a fudge. If HTML is required then Claws is the wrong application.

I've been using claws mail exclusively and daily for the last 5 years.  It does everything the way I like. It's fast, lightweight and displays the mail list the way I like.  I don't need to compose in html, I just want to see it as it was intended and the fancy plugin has never missed until just an update or two. I've poured through all the libraries upgraded and can't figure out what broke it, I just need help to figure out why it doesn't work after 5 years.  Does anyone have any ideas what libraries in the last few du's would have broken about half the html displays?

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/10/03, 18:14:24 »
The fancy plugin doesn't seem to be in the Debian repros any longer  but is available via the Claws site whether it will work is a different matter.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
« Reply #6 on: 2017/10/03, 18:29:07 »
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=790199

http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3763
Code: [Select]
Changes:
 claws-mail (3.15.0-2) unstable; urgency=medium
 * Upload upstream new version to unstable
 * debian/control, debian/claws-mail-fancy-plugin.*,
 debian/NEWS.Debian, manpages/claws-mail-fancy-plugin.xml,
 manpages/Makefile,  manpages/claws-mail-extra-plugins.xml
 - Remove claws-mail-fancy-plugin (Closes: #790199)
 * debian/rules
 - Support 'nodoc' in build options to disable manual building
 * debian/control
 - Standards-Version: updated to 4.0.0 (no other changes)
 * debian/copyright