Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Hey My Fellow Sids!  (Read 26 times)

Offline Ze_Mind

[EN] Hey My Fellow Sids!
« on: Yesterday at 23:46:10 »
I have been using Debian ever since Squeeze. Since then I've been going through about every "main" distro (except Gentoo or Knoppix) OpenSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu (cough), Mint + LMDE, and have previously been on Arch. Did vanilla Arch install, but went for the others, like ArcoLinux, Endeavour, Garuda. But right now, I'm using Sparky. A distro based on Debian Test Branch.

The reason I left Arch, is because I didn't like the daily ~100 updates. And if you skip a couple days, you get a HELL lotta updates. Now Debian Testing has a lot of updates too, but as many. Is Siduction like Arch, in a way? Just not as well documented?

Enlighten me, guys. :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 23:49:23 by Ze_Mind »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Hey My Fellow Sids!
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:27:39 »
Hi there,
with siduction you might as well have 100 updates per day, depending on the chosen desktop and/or installed packages. But that is not every day. For example, if there are updates for Plasma or LibreOffice, that already accounts for many packages. When running siduction, you should not be update-lazy and update at least once per week. Accumulating too many packages could cause clutter. Quite a few of us in the team have been running siduction productive for many years. The install I am writing from is six years old, and I bet there are much older ones around. So, if you know your Debian package management, you have a quite stable OS at your hands, despite its unstable nature. It is a good idea to check the 'Upgrade Warnings' section on the forum before doing your regular dist-upgrade.

When it comes to documentation, of course, we cannot compete with Arch. Who can? But we believe that our siduction manual is quite comprehensive as well. Of course, I am biased, but maybe siduction can stop your wandering days as a distro hopper. Just give it a try,