Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Xserver Edition Twist  (Read 3912 times)

Offline eriefisher

• User
[EN] Xserver Edition Twist
« on: 2023/03/07, 21:14:54 »
A fresh install of the Xserver edition but with Xfwm instead of fluxbox. The good thing about this is you can also install the window manager tools without installing the whole XFCE4. Still uses Tint2, Jgmenu and Spacefm as released but switched out and added a few other goodies. I don't think it uses a lot more resources than Fluxbox and it more graphically useable.

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Re: Xserver Edition Twist
« Reply #1 on: 2023/03/08, 08:10:39 »
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
The Xorg edition is meant to be changed and customized by the $user.
All that nice goodies that are installed like Tint2, jgmenu, Spacefm, the grapcal networmanager-tool, the xfce-appfinder, idesk for the icons on the desktop and so on are there because a lot of $users didn't understand fluxbox and how to use it with console tools!

So we diced to blow Xorg a bit. First there was only fluxbox and some console tools installed to get the system running and have the xserver installed, not more!
Ok, that times are gone.

Btw, we are using xfwm with our lxqt-edition.

But what you can do is to provide your changes and configurations, maybe we can use some of it to modify our xorg a bit, make it a bit more shiny!

Offline eriefisher

• User
Re: Xserver Edition Twist
« Reply #2 on: 2023/03/08, 13:00:41 »
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
The Xorg edition is meant to be changed and customized by the $user.
All that nice goodies that are installed like Tint2, jgmenu, Spacefm, the grapcal networmanager-tool, the xfce-appfinder, idesk for the icons on the desktop and so on are there because a lot of $users didn't understand fluxbox and how to use it with console tools!

So we diced to blow Xorg a bit. First there was only fluxbox and some console tools installed to get the system running and have the xserver installed, not more!
Ok, that times are gone.

Btw, we are using xfwm with our lxqt-edition.

But what you can do is to provide your changes and configurations, maybe we can use some of it to modify our xorg a bit, make it a bit more shiny!
I've used Fluxbox in the past a fair bit and do enjoy it's simplicity. I have it installed as a back up now on my daily driver. I tried the LXQT-edition and it was great. However, I find LXQT itself to be a bit buggy and error prone. I had it installed for a couple of months and finally decided it wasn't for me.
I kind of built this out on the fly over a couple days and didn't keep notes. I will go back and figure out what I installed/removed and post a list. Xfwm4 has no means of starting/stopping but I found some scripts that will start it without a session manager and it will show up in your login manager as well.
A couple small things to sort out yet then I'll post the list.