Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Suggestion of additional modules for the towo kernel  (Read 6310 times)

demailly

[EN] Suggestion of additional modules for the towo kernel
« on: 2020/06/11, 21:37:42 »
Hi,
Some users might want to be able to install anbox to run android apk's on their linux boxes. This requires compiling 3 additional modules: binder_linux, ashmem_linux and xt_CHECKSUM.ko. The latter is no problem, but the standard kernel 5.6 or 5.7 only allows built-in compilation of  binder_linux, ashmem_linux, which would be a bit too much for people who don't need anbox.
Unfortunately, the dkms kernel modules do not compile any more with recent kernels, as a consequence of symbol "kallsyms_lookup_name" no longer being exported. To be able to compile in-tree modules , it seems that is sufficient to introduce 2 small patches, as explained
on https://docs.anbox.io/userguide/install_kernel_modules.html
* debian_patches_debian_export-symbols-needed-by-android-drivers.patch
* debian_patches_debian_android-enable-building-ashmem-and-binder-as-modules.patch
(I could easily do this on my installation here, with experimental kernel 5.7.2).
So I would suggest this small addition to Torsten Wohlfahrt  for the next siduction kernels !
Best, JP Demailly

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Suggestion of additional modules for the towo kernel
« Reply #1 on: 2020/06/14, 19:36:12 »
Patches are in the latest kernel in experimental, feel free to test and report, if anbox is working or not.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

demailly

« Reply #2 on: 2020/06/20, 17:43:29 »
Dear Torsten,

Apologies for the somewhat late testing !
I confirm that Anbox works with the recent kernels offering binder_linux & ashmem_linux as modules
(both the last experimental kernel and the newer  5.7.4-towo.1-siduction-amd64 work).
However, I still add to insmod  xt_CHECKSUM.ko  which is required by the script 'anbox-bridge.sh'. It turns out that the module I had compiled for an earlier version of the kernel could still be used for 5.7.4. But it would probably be better to also have xt_CHECKSUM.ko  be offered as a module - or find an ad hoc replacement for the iptables command that requires  the functions of xt_CHECKSUM.ko (those might very well have become obsolete for the iptables workflow).
Best,
Jean-Pierre
PS1. Here is the iptables call in anbox-bridge.sh :
iptables "${use_iptables_lock}" -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o "${BRIDGE}" -p udp -m udp --dport 68 -j CHECKSUM --checksum-fill -m comment --comment "managed by anbox-bridge"

PS2. A strange fact is that it is impossible to rmmod  these modules once anbox has been used - the only way is to reboot. There might be a zombie process keeping them busy under the hood, but I could not find it (I didn't try much, admittedly).

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2020/06/20, 20:47:03 »
The recent kernel now have CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CHECSUM=m.

demailly

« Reply #4 on: 2020/08/07, 09:18:54 »
Hi:
Many thanks again for the continued hard work on new kernels. As an anbox user, I noticed that the experimental kernel 5.8.0 does not include the binder_linux and ashmem_linux modules required by anbox. Of course, I can stick to 5.7.x (or eventually patch and recompile by myself) if there is any issue with kernel 5.8 in this respect.
Best, Jean-Pierre

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2020/08/07, 09:31:10 »
Not true! I have switched to y instead of compile as module!

Code: [Select]
~/source/kernel/5x/5.8/linux-siduction/debian/config
towo:newdev> egrep -i "binder|ashmem" config
CONFIG_ASHMEM=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDERFS=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_DEVICES="binder"
# CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_SELFTEST is not set

demailly

« Reply #6 on: 2020/08/07, 14:25:08 »
Apologies - I just checked for the modules, but didn't look at the kernel configuration !
Unfortunately, for a reason that I still have to investigate, my anbox setup does not
work any more with kernel 5.8 (which is also the reason why I believed that binder
and ashmem were not there.) Rebooting to 5.7.13 solves the issue.

I'll keep you updated if I find an explanation for this behavior. (One possible reason
would be that the patch allowing to compile binder_linux and ashmem_linux as
modules also affects the way things work, but that seems a bit strange...)

Best, Jean-Pierre

demailly

« Reply #7 on: 2020/08/08, 10:03:02 »
Hi:
I have recompiled the kernel by preceding the siduction patches with the two Debian patches allowing to compile binder_linux and ashmem_linux as modules (and which have just been ported to 5.8), namely

https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/blob/master/debian/patches/debian/android-enable-building-ashmem-and-binder-as-modules.patch

https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/blob/master/debian/patches/debian/export-symbols-needed-by-android-drivers.patch

There was only a minor collision "patch already applied" for a couple of apparentlly unessential things. The kernel and modules compiled fine, and now anbox works.  That's definitely not a clear explanation of what happens, but it does appear that the additional two patches are useful, at least for my anbox setup.

Best, Jean-Pierre

demailly

« Reply #8 on: 2020/08/08, 10:08:05 »
Post-Scriptum : the relevant part of my config is

#
# Android
#
CONFIG_ASHMEM=m
# CONFIG_ION is not set
# end of Android

#