Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Moving .mozilla to siduction  (Read 1763 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
[EN] Moving .mozilla to siduction
« on: 2021/11/14, 18:20:26 »
hi

So, whenever I've made a new install, I've always been able to copy the .mozilla directory from my main install into the new /home folder, and the new Firefox picks up everything that was in the original install. Today, I've moved the .mozilla folder into my new siduction install, and, instead of picking up the info, I see a new ????????.default file being created and nothing is used from the copied folder.

Any ideas anyone?
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Moving .mozilla to siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2021/11/14, 19:03:02 »
Instead of copying, will a symlink work instead?
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2021/11/14, 21:54:45 »
I cannot explain why that happened to you but worked before. But you can probably workaround this in two ways:
Either copy the contents from inside your old profile folder ( ~/.mozilla/firefoy/someOLDname.default) to the new something.default. Or open  ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini and look at the profile name/path there, change it to point to the one you want. (In both cases BACKUP before action ;) )
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2021/11/15, 23:15:45 »
Thanks dibl and der_bud

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, but, the siduction install on my new machine crapped out, and, I still haven't had a chance t determine if it's component related, or if there's a software/firmware problem. I'm hoping the new MB doesn't need a bios upgrade, maybe I should've went for the Intel chip instead of the Ryzen 5600G.

So, appreciate the help, but, I'll get back to it after the other problems are fixed.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/11/16, 05:48:04 »
Hello again

So, it was a faulty wireless trackball that was creating havoc, or, at least that's the way it seems now.

Anyway, I read over both replies again and finally copied the contents of the .default folder, into the .default-release folder, and it worked. At least from what I can see, everything is there.

I've never seen a .mozilla folder with 2 default folders before (pic attached). Thanks, you helped me fix the problem.