Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] CUPS problems  (Read 1681 times)

Offline finotti

• User
[EN] CUPS problems
« on: 2022/03/02, 05:02:48 »
I am not sure when this started, but I only noticed today that now I cannot manage my printers with CUPS.  Removing, pausing, resuming, giving the root password, does not work.  I get, for instance when trying to delete a printer (giving the root password when prompted):

Code: [Select]
Unable to delete printer:  Forbidden

Has anything changed for printer administration with CUPS?  This used to work before...

Offline finotti

• User
Re: CUPS problems
« Reply #1 on: 2022/03/02, 05:23:24 »
After some googling around, it seems that now one has to add a regular user to the lpadmin group.  It's strange that even root's password is not enough....

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2022/03/02, 15:46:39 »
Hi

I had a similar problem. https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=8548.msg68499#msg68499.

Just adding lpadmin to my groups didn't help though. I had to add a couple of packagekit applications to get around the forbidden zone (As explained in my thread).

Linux Counter number 348347

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2022/03/02, 18:16:47 »
I have the same problem. The solution seems quite complicated. But I haven't tried yet.
Do you know if its a temporary problem?
I cannot believe that every user world wide has to do that?

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2022/03/02, 19:48:29 »
Hi Lanzi

I don't use the printer that often, so, I can't tell when, exactly, the problem started. Printer-driver-cups-pdf came in on 2/16 and cups-filters cam in on 2/22. A new HPLIP came in on 2/24. At first I thought it was HPLIP causing the problem, but, since it was my addition on cups-pk-helper that helped get the printer working, I'm thinking that it's cups where the problem lies.

From the Debian bugzilla: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=616718
There too the addition of lpadmin to user groups is given as a solution, then they go on arguing about why cups is so cryptic in their error messages. Be that as it may, I worked around it by installing cups-pk-helper and system-config-printer.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline finotti

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2022/03/02, 21:37:27 »
Just an FYI to all: before adding the user to the group lpadmin, I tried to delete a printer using the interface for HPLIP and it hanged and generated errors that filled my disc.  The error/log file in /var/log/cups had 75GB.