Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Installed Paitence and have automatic upgrades Apt-daily-upgrade.timer  (Read 3957 times)

Offline terroreek

• User
Hi All,

I have a fresh patience install an notice that my system was automatically upgrading on its own as well as removing packages that I noticed were flagged earlier as part of auto removes.  I noticed there are two timers that run apt-daily.timer and apt-daily-upgrade.timer that run.  apt-daily timer seems to just do an apt update and download packages, but apt-daily-upgrade will upgrade and clean. 

I am going to disable the apt-daily-upgrade.timer  iOr you can stop apt-daily.timer and it will stop the upgrade from running.  I am not sure if I just missed a warning and blindly accepted or missed something, but thought I would give anyone else a heads up. 

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Do you have the package unattended upgrades installed? And what does
Code: [Select]
systemctl status apt-daily.timer tell you?
« Last Edit: 2018/03/30, 19:51:53 by devil »

Offline terroreek

• User
well that solves the mystery, I did have unattended-upgrades installed it but I don't know why or how that go installed.  I guess I need to pay better attention.

Apt-daily.timer said it downloaded updates, my guess is it did apt update. 

Offline der_bud

• User
.. I did have unattended-upgrades installed it but I don't know why or how that go installed...
Have a look at the manifest of patience, i.e. at http://ftp.spline.de/mirrors/siduction/iso/patience/kde/amd64_2018-03-07_23-23/siduction-18.2.0-patience-kde-amd64-201803072323.amd64.manifest
unattended-upgrades is now part of the default installation, I guess it was not present in earlier pre-patience times. I think I remember having a crontab for apt-get update in my old installs that was activated per default, not by me.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline terroreek

• User
yeah I would just question how safe the upgrade and cleanup portion of unattended-upgrades is.  I am not sure if its a great idea on sid.  That said the devs are way smarter than me so if they feel its safe then sure. 

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
First of all - one can configure it - second: it should not be installed (or if installed not be activated) by default - thats the downside of installing meta-packages and/or recommends. So there are two ways to prevent this:
a) find the package which throw in the unattended things and fix it  (if unattended-upgrades are a dependency)
b) find the package and if unattended-upgrades are only recommended - forbid the installation in the iso
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline terroreek

• User
First of all - one can configure it - second: it should not be installed (or if installed not be activated) by default - thats the downside of installing meta-packages and/or recommends. So there are two ways to prevent this:
a) find the package which throw in the unattended things and fix it  (if unattended-upgrades are a dependency)
b) find the package and if unattended-upgrades are only recommended - forbid the installation in the iso

I installed a fresh install of Patience and unattended-upgrades was installed by default in a vm.  Doing 'apt remove unattended-upgrades' simply removes the package and nothing else.

Now that said doing some digging I found that the apt-daily.service, apt-daily.timer, apt-daily-upgrade.service, and apt-daily-upgrade.timer are installed with apt. pt-daily-upgrade.service, and apt-daily-upgrade.timer are also part of the unattended-upgrades package as well. 

Now on my desktop because I don't mind the apt-daily.timer I disabled and masked the apt-daily-upgrade.timer and removed the unattended-upgrades package.

systemctl stop apt-daily-upgrade.timer
systemctl disable apt-daily-upgrade.timer
systemctl mask apt-daily-upgrade.service
systemctl daemon-reload

As an FYI the mask apt-daily-upgrade.service is done to link the service to /dev/null, even if a service/timer is disabled if its a depencency of another service it could still be started. Masking it ensures it would accidentily upgrade your system without your permission.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
ok - i think we should block the unattended-upgrades

agaida@dell ~ % LANG=C apt rdepends unattended-upgrades
unattended-upgrades
Reverse Depends:
  Breaks: python-apt (<< 0.42debian2)
  Breaks: python-apt (<< 0.42debian2)
  Depends: plinth
  Depends: parl-desktop
  Recommends: education-common
  Depends: education-common
  Recommends: python3-software-properties
  Depends: education-common
  Depends: plinth
  Depends: parl-desktop
agaida@dell ~ % LANG=C apt rdepends python3-software-properties
python3-software-properties
Reverse Depends:
  Depends: software-properties-common (= 0.96.20.2-1)
  Depends: software-properties-kde (= 0.96.20.2-1)
  Depends: software-properties-gtk (= 0.96.20.2-1)
  Replaces: software-properties-common (<< 0.85)
  Breaks: software-properties-common (<< 0.85)
agaida@dell ~ % LANG=C apt rdepends software-properties-kde   
software-properties-kde
Reverse Depends:
  Depends: apper
  Recommends: plasma-discover
  Depends: apper
agaida@dell ~ % LANG=C apt rdepends plasma-discover       
plasma-discover
Reverse Depends:
  Breaks: plasma-discover-common (<< 5.7.0-2)
  Replaces: plasma-discover-common (<< 5.7.0-2)
  Recommends: plasma-desktop
  Breaks: appstream (<< 5.8.5-3)
  Depends: plasma-discover-backend-snap (= 5.12.3-1)
  Depends: plasma-discover-backend-flatpak (= 5.12.3-1)
  Suggests: software-properties-kde
  Depends: plasma-discover-backend-flatpak (= 5.12.4-1)
  Depends: plasma-discover-backend-snap (= 5.12.4-1)
  Breaks: appstream (<< 5.8.5-3)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
With the new 2018-1 patience install, I have 2 files in /etc/apt/apt-conf.d. One is 20Auto-upgrades, the other is 50unattended-upgrades.  20Auto-upgrades has the boolean for unattended-upgrades.

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

These files aren't present in the 2017-1 version of siduction.

Can it be safe to assume that zeroing out Unattended-upgrade will stop it?  Today I had 10 minutes of 94% cpu running with "top" showing that it was "unattended-upgrade" causing the problem.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
apt-file list unattended-upgrades
So purging unattended-upgrades would solve that. Next releases will not contain unattended-upgrades anymore - not the very best idea for unstable.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Thank you melmarker

I purged unattended-upgrades, and, to my surprise, 20Auto-upgrades and 50unattended-upgrades, have now disappeared.  Wow, purge actually does what you hoped it would. Nice.
Linux Counter number 348347