Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  debian flash workaround  (Read 2567 times)

grady

debian flash workaround
« on: 2014/08/19, 00:35:45 »
I haven't visited for a while. A new siduction installaton on a new machine (April) c/w latest d-u, is working wonderfully. Many thanks.

I may have asked a similar question quite a while ago; in which case, I'm asking: "Is anything new?"

I'm debian compliant. Don't want to run flash/java.

Using the installed and d-u-ed siduction, I'm able to play almost videos. An important exception is the major video providers.
For example, I'm locked out of the videos here: http://www.reuters.com/

Has anyone found a way to defeat that lock ?

grady

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: debian flash workaround
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/19, 20:22:36 »
[Offtopic] As this post seemed kind of 'locked' to grady, I just post this line for testing reasons [/OT]
 ;)
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/19, 20:38:29 »
All I can tell you is that videos on the Reuters page play for me.
And no, this is not the aptosid forums. We do not lock topics other than they include illegal stuff or offend other users directly.
You can speak freely about any legal software related topics.

greetz
devil

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/19, 20:55:12 »
One or two years ago I tried to substitute flashplugin by gnash and lightspark. It worked so far for more than 60 percent of the vids I watched, but the ones not playing was to annoying. Went back to flash.

Perhaps the development went on and they play better now. Gnash and lightspark are co-installable and hand videos over to either of them depending on the flash-version of the video.

Another alternative would be pepperflash which performs quite well, but then you only change from Adobe to Goggle and stay in Debians nonfree-section, and I think that's not what you wanted.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

grady

« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/19, 21:27:48 »
@ der_bud

You are looking at the right post (of mine).

I have absolutely no idea WTH is going on.

That post was marked with an X and lock symbol some hours after I posted it.
Which is why I asked why in a second post.

Both posts have now disappeared from the Software-Support section as I see it.
Where you found, and how you found, my first post without the lock: Ich habe keine annung !
But also perplexing: your copy shows that  the number of readers continues to grow!

Thank you for replying. I wish I could help. But I'm totally in the dark. Maybe just a forum software glitsch?
--------------
Now, HALLO @DEVIL :
Amen! to your message. You folks are a class act doing your best to keep debian free. And within law, to make debian as useful as possible.
You say the reuters page videos play for you: the flash-locked ones.
Using flash player and java?
If not, it's a pretty good trick. If not, what extra magic gimmicks have you added, beyond the latest d-u to make it possible? Also, I'm using iceweasel exclusively. What are you using? Maybe playing through VLC (which I've tried.)

NOW. Back @ der_bud:
I've googled all three alternatives to flash. All are imperfect. Adobe is so fleet of foot (it seems) they can't catch up.
My siduction, unchanged from what I installed in April, c/w recent d-u, is playing just about all videos except those from such as reuters that appear to have extra-strong flash-blocks.
And if I can't watch them using open software, I'll not watch.
The (Manchester) Guardian doesn't flash-lock. That'll do for me.
Frankfurter Allgemein: locked, or not ?

grady