Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  ceni problems  (Read 3836 times)

zerooo

ceni problems
« on: 2014/09/04, 02:48:13 »
I have been googling around the last couple of hours trying to sort out what I am doing wrong, with no luck. I am trying to connect to wireless. I have downloaded wifi drivers and they are installed. I run ceni and it finds my wirelesscard, it finds my router. I choose WPA, mannaged and enters my preshared key.
I choose dhcp, auto and push accept. It starts DHCPDISCOVER and everytime ends up with the message, "no DHCPOFFERS reveived. no working leases in persistent database - sleeping."

Is anybody able to see from this what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

zerooo

Re: ceni problems
« Reply #1 on: 2014/09/04, 03:12:46 »
Or maybe if anybody has a good link to somewhere, where I can read about ceni and wireless setup on sid.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/09/04, 03:32:09 »
... "no DHCPOFFERS reveived. ...

To me this is a router problem. Your computer listens for DHCPOFFERS but does not recieve one because the router doesn't send offers. Your computer can't connect because Ceni can't complete the initialisation.

My 2cts

As a workaround you could use a fixed IP outside the DHCP range. At least for testing. Are you sure DHCP is enabled with your router?
« Last Edit: 2014/09/04, 03:39:08 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/09/04, 04:12:42 »
After checking the router, there may still be some atheros-chips using ath9k-htc with dhcp problems at the moment.

What does
Code: [Select]
inxi -n is telling about the chipset and driver?

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #4 on: 2014/09/04, 12:52:27 »
Hello zerooo,
yes, ayla is on the right track and we can check your setup  procedure.
Usually the siduction linux kernel has drivers for most hardware integrated. Only in rare cases you need to install a driver.

I'd like to investigate with the pciid of your network device:
lspci -nn | grep -i net
greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

zerooo

« Reply #5 on: 2014/09/06, 00:41:16 »
First of all thanks for the nice welcome. @michaa7 I went and checked my router and it had dhcp activated. It also had an interval for it.@aylaa it says Intep PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[golan] Network Connection. driver iwl3945. @musca what specific, I can not copy paste so if I know what I am looking for I can find it.

I should say I have other computers and partitions running on the router without problem.

thanks

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/09/06, 08:55:39 »
You may use linux pipe function to copy the output of a given command into a file and transfer it with an usbstick to another device, so you can post it completely:

eg:
lspci -nn > lspci.txt------------------------------------------------------------
Your device should work with the build-in driver, given you have installed firmware-iwlwifi -you don't have to download/install the driver manually.

So, given you have a wired connection enabled, do as root:
activate the non-free repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list by appending non-free to the following line:
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable main contrib non-freethen
apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
modprobe -rv iwl3945
modprobe -iv iwl3945
No wired connection:
Download the firmware from one of the here listed mirrors: https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/firmware-iwlwifi/download
then cd into the given directory :
dpkg -i firmware-iwlwifi*
modprobe -rv iwl3945
modprobe -iv iwl3945

Start network-manager configuration or ceni.
« Last Edit: 2014/09/06, 09:03:51 by ayla »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #7 on: 2014/09/06, 12:49:42 »
hello zerooo,

this literally is the first paragraph in the network chapter of the manual:

"You will most likely need non-free firmware to be available on a USB-stick to install on the operating system. Please refer to non-free firmware debs on a stick."

For your convenience the offline version of the manual is also placed straight on your desktop.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)