Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] W...wZ What a pain in the a..  (Read 2701 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] W...wZ What a pain in the a..
« on: 2013/09/10, 20:09:36 »
My last (used) Thinkpad came with a W7 license and because I some day in the future will get rid of my stationary computer I thought I should install it on a extra hard-disk, on some rare occasions I need W...wZ, I don't want to discuss why here.

So I downloaded the corespondent .iso from the big company. It took me nearly 6!!!! hours to get the installation finished, after the first big update there where new updates every time the computer was restarted, I think 7 times this was repeated, slow downloads, slower installation and even slower restart every time.... 6 hours and it's not a slow computer, i7 with 4gb ram. Are they incompetent or are they only making this to make everybody completely irritated?

Online ReinerS

• User
W...wZ What a pain in the a..
« Reply #1 on: 2013/09/10, 21:02:32 »
hmm, hasn't this been always the way since a long long time with those products coming from M$ ? :P

Everytime I install a system of those (because the people insist for various strange reasons on it) latest a half year later the complainig of slow speed starts.

Well sure you get used to the speed of a new box soon, but it was somehow amazing how slow these boxes can get.

Lately I migrated a W7 674Bit prof.Box onto an SSD. And yes the speed increased but not that much as to be expected. Some disabling of some index-service helped. But still I would have expected more.
And please note this box was not an Gaming PC. Just "normal work" :evil:

Otherwise from what would all those people which write all those "speedup", "registry-cleaner" tools do a living from if M$ wouldn' keep them busy all the time ?

And surely in not that far away future this box might/will need an faster processor and/or more memory. Even it is really sufficient configured yet. :P

And poor oldfashioned me is using still an really outdated (but not even configured to the limits of the MB) System which runs sufficient fast mor me (well some times long videos could be converted faster):P

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/09/11, 10:27:53 »
a colleague of mine has bought a new lenovo thinkpad with i7, 8GB ram and 500GB hard disk drive, without operating system pre-installed (he's got his old windows license already). he started installing W7 yesterday and is still working at it... currently, 130 updates are being installed, which took him now 2 hours until it had to reboot to adapt changes...

watching this is painful enough... i wonder how he actually feels.

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/09/11, 11:24:39 »
Is this not the same in siduction? Did you setup a new machine just before firestarter was released? More than 1000 deb by dist-upgrading.

But the point is, you normally do this once a time and the system works without slowing down.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/09/14, 00:44:34 »
Quote from: "dieres"
Is this not the same in siduction? Did you setup a new machine just before firestarter was released? More than 1000 deb by dist-upgrading.

But the point is, you normally do this once a time and the system works without slowing down.
The big difference is one big update and after one reboot you have all the new stuff running the latest kernel. Next difference is the speed, speed of downloading and the speed of installation. I do the same installation in much less than one hour with siduction and then I have an office application (Libre Office) and a image manipulation application (gimp) along with a gang of useful applications witch I don't have in the W...Z installation after more than 6 hours.