Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Regression: Bug in VirtualBox 5.2.14-dfsg-4 back again  (Read 2485 times)

Offline der_bud

• User
The Bug with 'Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDRELF_RELOCATION_NOT_SUPPORTED)' in Debians packages of 5.2.14-dfsg-1, that was fixed in 5.2.14-dfsg-2, is back again with 5.2.14-dfsg-4.
The corresponding Debian bug #902897 is active again, so people are aware of that regression and it will hopefully be fixed soon. Stay away from Vbox updates so far, when you need your VMs.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline new2linux

Re: Regression: Bug in VirtualBox 5.2.14-dfsg-4 back again
« Reply #1 on: 2018/07/15, 22:41:21 »
Just upgraded all available updates for Siduction.  Unfortunately the bug fix does not work with VirtualBox 5.2.14-dfsg-5 either.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2018/07/15, 22:48:25 »
Easy solution: Use the packages from virtualbox.org
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline new2linux

« Reply #3 on: 2018/07/15, 23:41:39 »
I've been following this in the Debian bug reports and at Oracle Vbox bug reports, since appx. July 3rd when it first appeared for me.  Sent them logs and some feedback.
A week ago I tried to install the version directly from www.virtualbox.org.  Even though I thought I had completely uninstalled vbox from my system, I kept getting messages about dependencies that could not be met when I tried to install their deb files.

I have a pretty good system backup regimen so I just restored my backup with version:  VirtualBox 5.2.14-dfsg-2
That version works fine for me in Siduction.  (Version 5.2.10 also works fine in Linux Mint)

The Debian /unstable maintainers will probably get a handle on this soon anyway.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/07/16, 08:26:33 »
Downloading and installing the .debs directly from virtualbox.org is one way to use the Oracle-packages. The better way if one wants to use those versions is described on their page Download VirtualBox for Linux Hosts, adding a respective line to sources.list and let apt do its work in resolving all dependencies.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline new2linux

« Reply #5 on: 2018/07/16, 15:32:37 »
I believe the Debian team have now fixed the issue.

VirtualBox 5.2.14-dfsg-7 now functions normally for me!!