Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  KeePassX Upgraded  (Read 4483 times)

KrunchTime

KeePassX Upgraded
« on: 2016/01/17, 00:46:17 »
After what seems like light years, KeePassX has finally been upgraded.  Version 2.0 hit the unstable repos a few days ago.  One of the big improvements in version 2.0 is the use of the kdbx file format, also used by KeePass Safe.  Any files using the kbd file format (filename.kdb) will have to be imported and then saved.

One feature that I liked in version 0.4.3 that doesn't appear to have been carried over into version 2.0 is that any changes made to an existing entry resulted in a backup of that entry into a Backup folder.  Hopefully that is a feature that will be implemented sometime in the near future.
« Last Edit: 2016/01/17, 00:54:32 by KrunchTime »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: KeePassX Upgraded
« Reply #1 on: 2016/01/17, 01:09:32 »
I switched to Enpass a couple months ago and never looked back. In my humble opinion it is superiour to Keepass(x) that I had used for years. All devices with Enpass on it synchronize to my owncloud (or dropbox, google drive etc). Handling of passwords is much easier, there is a app for Chrome that is very helpful etc.

greetz
devil

KrunchTime

« Reply #2 on: 2016/01/17, 03:51:30 »
I'm not a fan of anything in the cloud other than email and I have reservations about that.  I value my privacy over ease and convenience.  Synchronization...check, sneaker net works well for me.  ;)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/01/17, 08:37:26 »
Owncloud is on my server under my control.

greetz
devil

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/01/17, 15:10:07 »
I have owncloud set up on my Qnap Nas, works great with PC, laptop and android phone, I will be putting on a Pi when I get some time.

KrunchTime

« Reply #5 on: 2016/01/18, 09:08:14 »

greetz
devil
Until someone hacks your server.  ;)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/01/18, 09:55:34 »

greetz
devil
Until someone hacks your server.  ;)

Or your PC  :(

tmhind2

« Reply #7 on: 2016/01/18, 14:23:06 »
What about "no flames please" lastpass, this is a new area for me so any feedback will help. I have googled and read many articles,  but believe in this case personal experience would be a great help, thanks.
T2

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #8 on: 2016/01/18, 18:07:05 »
Hello tmhind2,

lastpass was hacked in June 2015. Users accounts were compromized, so users had to change their masterpassword.
Three days ago a phishing attack was announced.

It seems lastpass is not the end of all sorrows.

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

tmhind2

« Reply #9 on: 2016/01/18, 20:36:17 »
Thanks Musca, guess I need to continue looking at password managers to find one that is secure and works!
Regards,  Tom

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #10 on: 2016/01/18, 20:47:50 »
Enpass is for sure the one with the best functionality, I did a thorough search to find exactly that.

greetz
devil

tmhind2

« Reply #11 on: 2016/01/18, 21:06:43 »
Thanks Devil,  I saw your comments above about enpass and will look into it too see if it will work for me also as password managers are a complete new arena for me!

greetings,  tom

KrunchTime

« Reply #12 on: 2016/01/20, 06:55:19 »
^ KeePass Safe will also work on Linux if you have Mono installed.  However, IMO, KeePassX is just about as good so why install a bunch of bloat on your system when you don't have to.

mxmehl

« Reply #13 on: 2016/02/10, 12:09:35 »
I switched to Enpass a couple months ago and never looked back. In my humble opinion it is superiour to Keepass(x) that I had used for years. All devices with Enpass on it synchronize to my owncloud (or dropbox, google drive etc). Handling of passwords is much easier, there is a app for Chrome that is very helpful etc.

Sounds nice indeed, but Enpass isn't Free Software/Open Source, right?

I have severe problems with trusting a proprietary software to secure my most sensitive data.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #14 on: 2016/02/10, 15:33:37 »
You are right, it's not Open Source. Here is what the company says about the security of the product. An excerpt says:
Enpass takes care of all your life important credentials & online accounts in safe and best way. All your data is secured offline on your device. We do not store any of your data on our server. Enpass encrypts your data by AES 256 bit Encryption using open-source encryption engine SQLCipher to ensure maximum security with trust.

greetz
devil