Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  moving from laptop to new laptop  (Read 2626 times)

LRC1962

moving from laptop to new laptop
« on: 2018/10/01, 13:16:08 »
I need a new laptop. Old one is developing hardware issues and want to make a move before things go bust.Other then using a live flash and totally starting from scratch (Yes I know that is the best way) is there a way to use an ethernet cable to install everything exactly as you have it in you old laptop? data files included.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: moving from laptop to new laptop
« Reply #1 on: 2018/10/01, 20:39:33 »
use dd or copy?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Kan

« Reply #2 on: 2018/10/01, 23:07:02 »
I don't know about a direct ethernet cable way, but you can use Timeshift. I can't live without out it. It has saved my butt many times. I have never tried it though going to a different PC/laptop with different hardware.
 Timeshift will back up everything if you don't use encrypted your home folder. Timeshift will not work with encryption.

If you do encrypt your home folder, then you will have to use Timeshift to back up your OS/applications, and use Grysnc to backup/restore the home folder structure.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2018/10/02, 18:38:54 »
If you can find a way to connect the new unformatted hard drive to the old laptop, like a USB enclosure or USB/SATA adapter and cable, then you can use gparted and copy and paste the partitions from the old drive to the new drive, one at a time.  Or, the other way, old hard drive connected to new laptop, running new laptop from a bootable USB stick.
« Last Edit: 2018/10/02, 22:29:38 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline tranquil

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2018/10/16, 22:12:00 »
Many moons ago, I used to use Clonezilla to copy from one drive to another.  The only downside is that the process took quite some time and that was when drives were smaller in capacity.  Using Clonezilla might only be beneficial if you don't want the hassle of reconfiguring a new installation.  Otherwise, it might be quicker to reinstall and configure.  However, it's also possible that the devs have tweaked things to make the process quicker.  It might be worth a try just for the learning experience.
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2018/10/16, 22:16:11 »
and again - simply use dd and be done with: i googled it for you
https://www.ndchost.com/wiki/server-administration/netcat-over-ssh
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2018/10/16, 23:03:06 »
for me, an USB sata case or adapter worked well, combined with dd to copy the whole disk. once that is done, adapt the partition sizes with gparted.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2018/10/16, 23:08:34 »
absolut: I would prefer that too - but that means one had to touch the hardware and might be afraid of consequences regarding warranty.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2018/10/16, 23:39:08 »
ah, right. to be more precise in this regard, i'd attach the old hard disk in the usb case to the new notebook and boot live to dd it.

will try your solution wiht netcat over ssh some day