Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  AMD Radeon HD 6250  (Read 16105 times)

elsewhere

AMD Radeon HD 6250
« on: 2012/01/17, 18:14:20 »
X is running very slowly on my Acer Aspire laptop.  It has the AMD Radeon HD 6250 graphics processor: (result of lspci)

Code: [Select]
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]

I added contrib non-free to sources before install.  On first boot startx failed.  I only had command line.  So I tried:

apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon firmware-linux-nonfree

reboot

Again, no X.  I finally resorted to

apt-get install fglrx-driver
aticonfig  --initial

Now I have X with correct resolution.  However, graphics are very slow.  Windows wobble when they are moved.  Redrawing of windows is very slow.

Does anyone know how to get better performance?  I suspect there is a simple solution that I have not discovered.

Offline michaaa62

• User
AMD Radeon HD 6250
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/17, 21:07:48 »
Hast du es mal mit dem Handbuch versucht? http://manual.siduction.org/de/gpu-de.htm#ati-3d

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: AMD Radeon HD 6250
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/18, 01:10:35 »
Quote from: "michaaa62"
Hast du es mal mit dem Handbuch versucht? http://manual.siduction.org/de/gpu-de.htm#ati-3d

Translation

Have you ever tried using the manual?
http://manual.siduction.org/en/gpu-en.htm#ati-3d
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/18, 07:55:25 »
Quote from: "piper"

Translation

Have you ever tried using the manual?
http://manual.siduction.org/en/gpu-en.htm#ati-3d
Thanks a lot!
dpkg-reconfigure michaaa62_localeswill fix it temporarily. :wink:

elsewhere

« Reply #4 on: 2012/01/19, 01:33:48 »

Translation:  Did you ever try pressing the power button?  :roll:

I basically recited instructions from the manual in my first post.  I thoroughly read the manual prior to install, including adding the correct sources for special hardware in "live" mode prior to "install to disk".  After discovering that siduction booted into command line, I followed the instructions in the manual under "ATI/AMD 3D Drivers".  The easy fix,

apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree,

did not result in any improvement.  Again, only command line was available.

I searched the web for a quick fix and found one:

apt-get install fglrx-driver
aticonfig  --initial

I can live with the slow graphics;  It is basically a cosmetic issue since I don't do any gaming or graphics/video processing.  I am just hoping that someone has been down this road already and has worked out all of the details.  Otherwise, I will work them out when I have time.

If someone happens to find that this wheel has already been invented, please post here.  Thanks.

If I decide to build the driver (or use a generously donated build script), do I need to remove/undo the fglrx-driver?  Anything else I need to undo before proceeding with the build?

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/19, 08:56:10 »
For radeon module to work properly you need to remove/move any /etc/X11/xorg.conf orany file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory and restart X.

Being a Nvidia-'plagued' user, i was not aware that the Manual does sport such little information about ATI cards.  :oops:

mauser1891

RE: Re: AMD Radeon HD 6250
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/20, 23:48:30 »
Hello Folks,

I have been watching for the kernels to provide better support for the Evergreen graphics chipset's.  Currently I am trying out Gnome3 with the Gallium driver which is working fine resolution-wise (1366x768).  
I usually use KDE4+, which is usually my desktop of preference.  Personally I do not think that Gnome3 should be released since the drivers should be completed to get the full Gnome3 experience.

Biggest kicker which nobody seems to post is the use of nomodeset at the initial boot process from the boot menu's.  Which I have been "enlightened" about.  Else the screen merely drops to a "black screen".

Just yesterday I migrated back to Debian GNU/Linux, since the kernel is now version 3+ which I have been waiting for since my rtl8192se is supported in via kernel, though I had to load firmware-realtek.

Being a apt-get user has left me "alone" and frowned  upon in the Debian Forum's, and I didn't like how things were "drifting" in aptosid.  I stopped using the distro.  I have been a Debian-based user since 2007.  sidux being one of them.

I will be "watching"...  lol  Eventually I will migrate to siduction as a possible final distro solution.

mauser1891

« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/21, 00:22:23 »
Sorry, I am referring to the AMD APU's, specifically the Llano "Husky"/Sabine with the ATI HD6520G in my case (A6-3400M).  Not to exclude any other user that has a A series APU.  Though I wish I had a A8 based unit, but $449 USD at the time it was a fair price IMHO.  And some places asking $650 USD on the average.  I feel that I did fairly well,since I do only light gaming and I am not compiling kernels or using any dbase's.  It's perfect.

This posting is not to start a Intel vs AMD or a ATI vs nVidia discussion.  But merely to point out the fact that we (linux desktop users) are mostly neglected where GPU driver support is lacking.  I figured that most of them are written in C (I am ignorant in this area), and would be easily ported to whichever operating system might need them.  Server usage does not require a gui or should have on IMHO.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/21, 00:30:45 »

Biggest kicker which nobody seems to post is the use of nomodeset at the initial boot process from the boot menu's. Which I have been "enlightened" about. Else the screen merely drops to a "black screen".

Booting the live-iso, the failsave option will boot your radeon chipset just fine, as it adds the nomodeset tweak. If you install firmware-linux-nonfree before installing the distro, you are fine.

greetz
devil

Offline dieres

• User
AMD Radeon HD 6250
« Reply #9 on: 2012/01/21, 14:52:26 »
I had done so and was left with a terminal, no X, because it was generated a /etc/X11/xorg.conf for vesa. I only had to delete this file and everything was fine.

I think the installer should do this deleting at the end of Install.