Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] the aptosid is stopped unfortunately!  (Read 7733 times)

otto

[EN] the aptosid is stopped unfortunately!
« on: 2014/11/27, 03:57:50 »
Dear buddies,
While the siduction don't stop growing over and over, aptosid is standing still because of the fight of egos in the aptosid. Unfortunately! If you ask in the aptosid forum when will have a new release of a new version there's a terrible quarrelsome there. View at http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
For the time being we are celebrating the new siduction release at the siduction Brazil at http://portal.siduction.com.br
 :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: 2014/11/27, 04:02:36 by otto »

Offline Lanzi

• User
Re: the aptosid is stopped unfortunately!
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/28, 18:21:26 »
Well, its really sad.
Aptosid was a good successor for sidux at its time (with a reliable ugly design *g*) and, it may be a coincidence, I read in their  forum some weeks ago and I also concluded, that it is nearly dead (like your linked thread from 2013!). Some ppl try to maintain it, but for me its like life support on a dead body.

And I say this without any "schadenfreude", because a lot of honest and good work and engagement will be lost and for nothing.

On the other hand, I am glad to have choosen the "right" side here with siduction, (there was never really a question for me, because I like am old fashiond and prefer friendlyness and people who truely like to build something and do not have that amount of negativity like we saw in the aptodiforum before the fork.)

So, long live siduction!

otto

« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/28, 21:57:35 »
 :D
Dear Lanzi,
 the meaning "schadenfreude" matches what it's happening now. Great truth! But It's really sad indeed.
Cheers.
 ;D

Well, its really sad.
Aptosid was a good successor for sidux at its time (with a reliable ugly design *g*) and, it may be a coincidence, I read in their  forum some weeks ago and I also concluded, that it is nearly dead (like your linked thread from 2013!). Some ppl try to maintain it, but for me its like life support on a dead body.

And I say this without any "schadenfreude", because a lot of honest and good work and engagement will be lost and for nothing.

On the other hand, I am glad to have choosen the "right" side here with siduction, (there was never really a question for me, because I like am old fashiond and prefer friendlyness and people who truely like to build something and do not have that amount of negativity like we saw in the aptodiforum before the fork.)

So, long live siduction!
« Last Edit: 2014/11/28, 22:14:52 by otto »

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/29, 17:42:19 »
Hello

Despite I am a siduction guy it seems that something it's not ok in aptosid.
They are working to fix things (I guess).
Despite they are upstream for siduction we haven't follow all changes from aptosid because we think that aptosid way isn't the right way.
As an example they have removed vesa support using xmodule=vesa cheatcode and also removed xscreen=${res1}X${res2} cheatcode.
There are more changes and there are more problems with some debian packages. Due to all of these (I guess) aptosid wasn't able to make a new release until now.
Probbably aptosid isn't stopped only  tries to fix things.

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/29, 21:59:48 »
Regardless of aptosid's status, I don't see any siduction bashing going on in their forums.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/29, 23:14:31 »
I see no bashing here.

greetz
devil

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2014/11/30, 01:45:11 »
@ghstryder: i don't think that anyone here is bashing against aptosid - these times are over, convbsd wrote only facts. Saying so: aptosid is in active development regarding of their tools - and we participate in that. We don't follow every descision they make (cheatcodes isolinux etc pp). But we track their efforts and most of their current development is good and very helpful for us. The only thing is the lack of a release right now.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/11/30, 11:20:50 »
@melmarker: good to hear! Honestly, its comforting that after all the emotional things and words that lead to the seperation some years ago, the situation now is better!

I prefer when after "a discussion" ppl behave like adults, see the bigger picture and work together!

+1

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2014/11/30, 11:57:34 »
no, we don't talk nor work together :), but this may be somewhen .. :)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/11/30, 13:19:56 »
ah, okay, it was a misunderstanding then :-)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2014/11/30, 16:01:55 »
As long as we are among gnu, open source environment and as siduction and aptosid are quite similar I suppose that the one can check and take benefit from the other and opposite, even without actually talking or have any other direct contact. This is one of the beauty of open source, everyone who wants can take of from the newest of the newest and go on from there.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2014/11/30, 16:11:50 »
right, the flame war has stopped, both projects evolve, and maybe we will start talking again on a regular base

Offline jaegermeister

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/12/04, 02:25:02 »
right, the flame war has stopped, both projects evolve, and maybe we will start talking again on a regular base

Finally... it's always a pity to see precious resources wasted on egos.
I still keep an old netbook running that distro, I am just curious from time to time to make a du and see what happens.

For the serious stuff, just siduction or debian stable ;)
---------------------------------------
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLVM
---------------------------------------

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2014/12/04, 22:16:35 »
Emotions were high at the time. Branded memory, such as I read at first sight:
Quote from: melmarker falsly quoted
and maybe we will start stalking again on a regular base
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing