Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon  (Read 29220 times)

Harakiri

Re: [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon
« Reply #15 on: 2015/07/02, 16:04:19 »
Hmm. It is the little things that count for me.
A few plasmoids that are important to me will not be converted to Plasma 5. For example wicd-kde or veromix-kde and some others. Having an eye on lxqt now.

Here is a quick overview:
http://developer.kde.org/~cfeck/portingstatus.html

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #16 on: 2015/07/02, 16:51:28 »
After reading the posts regarding kde-workspace I verified that I did not have kdebase-workspace-bin (which should only be  a transitional package to kde-workspace-bin), but already had the latter one.
Activating kdenext to follow  "Option c" I saw during dist-upgrade these lines scrolling:
Code: [Select]
kde-workspace-bin (4:5.3.2-siduction1) wird eingerichtet
kdebase-workspace-bin (4:4-11-13-90r2) wird eingerichtet

So here too 'something' pulls in that 90r2-versioned kdebase-workspace-bin, removing it after D-U removes siduction-art-ksplash-december as well.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #17 on: 2015/07/02, 17:10:19 »
@harakiri: LXQt will be great someday - but it will not solve any of your KDE problems - we have at least no plasmoids, no plasma etc - only a light and fast DE that is still under heavy development.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2015/07/02, 23:01:37 »
Is there an option d) . . . . to not d-u till debian sid catches up. Or is this not an option due to the piecemeal way things are being uploaded?

Santa

« Reply #19 on: 2015/07/03, 00:25:22 »

Hi,

Is there an option d) . . . . to not d-u till debian sid catches up. Or is this not an option due to the piecemeal way things are being uploaded?

Short answer: I would say this is not an option due "to the piecemeal way things are uploaded" and several other reasons.

Long answer:

Well, if you are not using kdenext already you can try to do that. But you have a problem, and it's the following million dollar question "When do I know when debian sid catched up?"

I can't reply to that question, only the person in charge of KDE in debian can, because in addition to "the piecemeal way things are being uploaded"  the packages they are attempting to upload are a port of kubuntus packaging. My packages are a port of kubuntu's packaging too, but they have some changes compared with the packages from debian:
  • Allow you to dist-upgrade from KDE SC 4 without problems
  • Allow you to use the packages in a system without the "install recommends automatically" enabled (and this is the default for siduction so far)
  • Fix the problems described here by early siduction testers (thanks for the feedback guys!) http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5587.0
  • kio-mtp works (i.e. you can plugin your android phone and see the files)
  • Allow you to use yakuake in Plasma 5
Also note that all the complete KDE Sofware stack is available in kdenext with their needed dependencies; they are right now more than 300 source packages developed with the help of an automation tool I wrote (kubuntu's people have one too). The automation tools we have are very specific to the distribution and I don't know if they have one in debian which would work properly for frameworks/plasma5/kde-applications or not.

So, given all the issues I have explained above they might take some time to catch up. As I said I don't know when they would be ready, if you really want to stay with debian's packaging the best thing is that you ask them to write a mail to debian-kde@lists.alioth.org notifying that everything is fine again, good luck with that.

One thing more, any problem with debian's packaging? you should ask the debian kde guy. Any problem with kdenext's packages? As a kdenext user you are under my protection and you can ask me; and talking about that there are a couple of reasons to not include your proposed option d in my advice post:
  • if you ask people from debian and they find out you are not using debian but siduction they may refuse to help you
  • at the same time you won't get support from me for debian's packages
  • due to all the things I have explained above in this post, your proposed option d) doesn't fit in my definition of "What to do to 'survive' gracefully"
Still, if you want to continue to use debian's kde packaging, that's your choice, but as I said you should ask debian's people for help, not me.

P.S. I would like to reply to more stuff in this thread but I don't have much time right now.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/03, 00:49:28 by Santa »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #20 on: 2015/07/03, 00:33:38 »
only one thing:
Allow you to use the packages in a system with the "install recommends automatically" enabled (and this is the default for siduction so far)
siduction don't install recommends per default
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2015/07/03, 00:41:07 »
Thanks for your comprehensive answer santa! I'll go with c)!

Santa

« Reply #22 on: 2015/07/03, 00:49:54 »
only one thing:
Allow you to use the packages in a system with the "install recommends automatically" enabled (and this is the default for siduction so far)
siduction don't install recommends per default

I meant without, post edited, thanks.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2015/07/03, 00:58:09 »
Allow you to dist-upgrade from KDE SC 4 without problems

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate this!  My system is running great with SC 5 upgraded from SC 4. Thank you.

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #24 on: 2015/07/03, 03:30:17 »
I will second that. Thank you Santa. My system is doing everything it needs to do right now. This seems pretty tame compared to the KDE 3 -> 4 transition. I haven't seen anyone threaten to jump off a cliff or predict the world would end.

For the rest of the Siduction crew - I just did a clean install of Indian Summer on a SSD, then made the switch to KDE5. I had tripped the multiarch switch, so those packages were included, but that du involved almost 1500 packages. I clearly remember days when I would have broken out in a sweat at the very thought. This pretty much completed while I went for a cup of coffee and made a phone call. Kudos to each and every one of you.

Offline gnasch

• User
« Reply #25 on: 2015/07/03, 12:03:52 »
@Santa

Thank you for that post, which explained not only what the options are, but also the consequences and the context.
I now  -belatedly even from someone from Berne region- understood what you actually do! Thanks!

best, gnasch

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #26 on: 2015/07/03, 12:59:52 »
@Santa, thanks for all your work for our distro.  Since yesterday I have converted two systems from KDE 4 to Plasma 5, for my own use.  It is usable, for sure.  Couple of points for others who are considering it:

- It seems cleaner to (after upgrading) delete the existing user(s), including the contents of his home folder, and then make the user again for Plasma 5.  This way the old config files don't fight Plasma 5 configs.

- kdesu/kdesudo does not work, but gksu does.

- In systemsettings, the Autostart function is not actually working, although it does move scripts to ~/.config. You'll have to write a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart to run your autostart scripts.

- You can't click the desktop and then type the command like KDE 4, but Alt-F2 still launches krunner.

Thanks again -- I'm surviving gracefully today!   ;D
« Last Edit: 2015/07/03, 13:19:14 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
« Reply #27 on: 2015/07/03, 13:41:31 »
@dibl: Do you use the repository kdenext?

Offline jure

• User
« Reply #28 on: 2015/07/03, 13:54:27 »
Quote from: dibl
- In systemsettings, the Autostart function is not actually working, although it does move scripts to ~/.config. You'll have to write a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart to run your autostart scripts.

- You can't click the desktop and then type the command like KDE 4, but Alt-F2 still launches krunner.

in my test installation (in virtualbox, indiansummer amd64 -kdenext - with kde-full (kde-plasma 5.3.2, Qt 5.4.2) both is working.
The prog set in autostart is running after login and the context-menu after right-click the desktop shows on top the function "Befehl ausführen" "run command", witch launches krunner

@ Santa -thx for your work !
Gruss Juergen

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #29 on: 2015/07/03, 15:04:10 »
I am actually loving this and over time, I know it will improve even better.

I have been running this for a few days now kinda testing the waters.

I run both conky & wbar without problems, well, my configs have no problems.

It's actually been a smooth transition and I thank you Santa ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck