Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Pipewire?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline sunrat

• User
Pipewire?
« on: 2020/09/20, 03:57:17 »
I just noticed some new Pipewire packages being pulled in with today's d-u. Is this now a mandatory inclusion for Debian going forward?
I read some docs about it and it seems to be trying to address deficiencies in PulseAudio and JACK for unified low-latency media, although PA is quite decent now whereas it took a long time to rectify its initial quirks. I have JACK working quite well in a different media production system too.
It seems like the main focus of Pipewire is to integrate Flatpak media functionality. I'm really averse to any containerised applications and consider them a plague on Linux.
So is Pipewire just another attempt at a standard to standardise all the other standards?

Offline seasons

• User
Re: Pipewire?
« Reply #1 on: 2020/10/07, 18:33:15 »
I do not have it installed, so it does not seem to be mandatory for running KDE, at least. Checking rdeps will tell you what pulled it in:

Code: [Select]
apt-cache rdepends libpipewire-0.3-0
libpipewire-0.3-0
Reverse Depends:
  gstreamer1.0-pipewire
  xdg-desktop-portal-kde
  xdg-desktop-portal
  pipewire-tests
  pipewire-bin
  pipewire-audio-client-libraries
  libpipewire-0.3-modules
  libpipewire-0.3-dev
  gnome-remote-desktop
  libmutter-7-0
  libmutter-6-0
  krfb

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/10/07, 23:34:10 »
Thanks. I had checked rdepends previously but looked a bit deeper this time and found I had krfb installed. No idea why as I don't use desktop sharing. Purged that and the pipewire packages became autoremovable.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2020/10/08, 23:19:13 »
PipeWire is mostly meant to ease things with Wayland. It makes Screencasts and Desktop-sharing possible in GNOME and KDE by now and is supposed to be taking over Video and Audio on Linux in the future.