Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Updated Version of Cinnamon  (Read 5452 times)

DeepBlue

[EN] Updated Version of Cinnamon
« on: 2019/07/17, 01:45:31 »
Hi,

I installed Siduction 10 days ago, with Cinnamon desktop. So far so good, I am very happy with it.

One thing that really bothers me is the Cinnamon version, which is 3.8.8.  Oh well, I am a sucker for Cinnamon desktop and it kills me that I am using such an old version. I checked the repositories and Cinnamon is 3.8.8 not only in Sid but also in Experimental repository as well. Hence, I am assuming to see anything above version 4.0 for Cinnamon will take a very very very looooooong time.

Is there anyway that I can manually upgrade my Cinnamon version? Are there any recent Cinnamon installation packages for Debian?

Thanks...

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Updated Version of Cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: 2019/07/17, 02:12:28 »
Really - what do you expect a week after a debian release - hint - it isn't so often and was prepared some month? New packages automagically ...?

Maybe it is worth to try Arch, Manjaro or Linux Mint. Or just wait.
« Last Edit: 2019/07/17, 02:15:30 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

DeepBlue

« Reply #2 on: 2019/07/17, 03:04:16 »
I am not sure if I understand what you are talking about. What it has anything to do with the recent release?

But I can tell, I don't like your tone. I am pretty much offended.
I rather you don't say anything, if you don't have anything useful to say.

DeepBlue

« Reply #3 on: 2019/07/17, 05:04:43 »
I guess I wasn't clear enough about what I am asking. Let me try one more time.
Below are some of the recent Cinnamon Desktop version numbers and release dates.

3.8.8 - Jul 17, 2018
3.8.9 - Sep 11, 2018
4.0 - Nov 4, 2018   ---> more than 8 months ago.
4.0.1 - Nov 12, 2018
4.0.2 - Nov 19, 2018
4.0.10 - Mar 21, 2019
4.2 - Jun 29, 2019
4.2.1 - Jul 10, 2019
4.2.2 - Jul 11, 2019

The upgrade between 3.8.x and 4.0.x is a Major upgrade. While the upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.2.x brings big improvements, especially performance wise, it is not as Major upgrade as from 3.8.x to 4.0.x.

Now there is an obvious reason people like us wants to use sid, or sid based rolling linux distro and that is to be able to use (have access) to the latest versions of software packages. That's why I was a little disappointed and surprised that the cinnamon desktop version was only 3.8.8 after I finished installation and updating my new Siduction installation. I was expecting one of the 4.0.x releases, not the 4.2.x version which released 2 weeks ago. I find 3.8.8 release quite old for a rolling release like this.

I wanted to check the Debian Experimental Repository. I wanted to see if there is an updated package there. Because if the Experimental had more recent package, then I would expect it to be updated in Sid a couple of weeks later. But no, even the Experimental Repository didn't have a newer version other than the same 3.8.8. Again, disappointed and a little surprised as well. But I understand. Obviously there is not enough interest, request and demand for updated Cinnamon packages and/or there is not enough people to work on it. That's fine, I understand and I am not complaining. However, I am asking if there is an easy & simple way for me to install a more recent version of cinnamon desktop environment on my Siduction installation.

That was my question.

@melmarker
Really - what do you expect a week after a debian release - hint - it isn't so often and was prepared some month? New packages automagically ...?
Yes, really!! Why you were so much surprised?
What it has to do anything with the timing of Debian Release? I cannot make the connection.
I don't understand the rest, so I cannot answer nor comment.

That's not a "maybe", that's "definitely" worth trying. Which I did. I mean, I didn't try Arch but I did try Manjaro. Amazing rolling distro. Only if it was based on Debian sid. I have only used Debian based distros so far (as a part time linux user) now it's a challenge for me to use something else. I wanna stick with what I am familiar with. Linux Mint is not a rolling release. LMDE 3 is based on Debian Stretch, so doesn't help me.

Thanks for taking the time to write me some useless comments. I am jealous of some people who has so much extra time to waste.

Thanks...

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/07/17, 10:25:02 »
This is why there has not been updates this year, as for 3.8 to 4 last year I don't know.https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

DeepBlue

« Reply #5 on: 2019/07/17, 10:43:29 »
This somewhat explains the dated version of Cinnamon in sid; but afaik experimental is not effectetd by the freeze, is it?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2019/07/17, 11:20:36 »
It is - nobody put work into versions when it is not sure that they will ever hit Sid. So one can expect that there will be some movement soon - no eta.

Please understand too that we are not resposible for the work of teams in debian - we just have no influence.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2019/07/17, 15:01:14 »
Quote from: DeepBlue
Thanks for taking the time to write me some useless comments. I am jealous of some people who has so much extra time to waste

The only thing your comment above says is ..  how new you are to linux and especially debian and has no clue to how the system works, especially packaging.

I guess I wasn't clear enough about what I am asking. Let me try one more time.
Below are some of the recent Cinnamon Desktop version numbers and release dates.

3.8.8 - Jul 17, 2018
3.8.9 - Sep 11, 2018
4.0 - Nov 4, 2018   ---> more than 8 months ago.
4.0.1 - Nov 12, 2018
4.0.2 - Nov 19, 2018
4.0.10 - Mar 21, 2019
4.2 - Jun 29, 2019
4.2.1 - Jul 10, 2019
4.2.2 - Jul 11, 2019

The upgrade between 3.8.x and 4.0.x is a Major upgrade. While the upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.2.x brings big improvements, especially performance wise, it is not as Major upgrade as from 3.8.x to 4.0.x.

Now there is an obvious reason people like us wants to use sid, or sid based rolling linux distro and that is to be able to use (have access) to the latest versions of software packages. That's why I was a little disappointed and surprised that the cinnamon desktop version was only 3.8.8 after I finished installation and updating my new Siduction installation. I was expecting one of the 4.0.x releases, not the 4.2.x version which released 2 weeks ago. I find 3.8.8 release quite old for a rolling release like this.

I wanted to check the Debian Experimental Repository. I wanted to see if there is an updated package there. Because if the Experimental had more recent package, then I would expect it to be updated in Sid a couple of weeks later. But no, even the Experimental Repository didn't have a newer version other than the same 3.8.8. Again, disappointed and a little surprised as well. But I understand. Obviously there is not enough interest, request and demand for updated Cinnamon packages and/or there is not enough people to work on it. That's fine, I understand and I am not complaining. However, I am asking if there is an easy & simple way for me to install a more recent version of cinnamon desktop environment on my Siduction installation.

That was my question.

@melmarker
Quote from: melmarker on Yesterday at 08:12:28 PM

Yes, really!! Why you were so much surprised?
What it has to do anything with the timing of Debian Release? I cannot make the connection.
I don't understand the rest, so I cannot answer nor comment.

Quote from: melmarker on Yesterday at 08:12:28 PM

That's not a "maybe", that's "definitely" worth trying. Which I did. I mean, I didn't try Arch but I did try Manjaro. Amazing rolling distro. Only if it was based on Debian sid. I have only used Debian based distros so far (as a part time linux user) now it's a challenge for me to use something else. I wanna stick with what I am familiar with. Linux Mint is not a rolling release. LMDE 3 is based on Debian Stretch, so doesn't help me.

Thanks for taking the time to write me some useless comments. I am jealous of some people who has so much extra time to waste.

Thanks...

All useless dribble and waste of bandwith unless YOUR going to package it for debian, just because a newer version of cinnamon was released doesn't mean every distro has it. Someone has to package it

Are you going to be that person?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

DeepBlue

« Reply #9 on: 2019/07/18, 04:33:54 »
@hsp
Thanks, that's what I was asking and that's what I needed. Thank you so much.
I don't understand why the mods here loves unnecessary drama so much.

@piper
Yeah, I am gonna package it. Are you happy now?

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2019/07/18, 13:42:06 »
@DeepBlue
I sure am, you putting it on salsa and git or ...

Yeah like it's really going to happen

The mods here love unnecessary drama when someone else has to do YOUR homework for YOU

A simple search on google (or your fav search engine) would have gave you that link if you knew how to use a search engine properly

To you, it's unnecessary drama, to me, it's laziness, nothing more, nothing less

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

DeepBlue

« Reply #11 on: 2019/07/18, 15:11:47 »
@piper
You say someone else has to do my homework; you are so wrong. What a pathetic way to approach the issue.

I did my search; which is easier and faster than registering to this forum, asking for help and then waiting for an answer. Not because I am lazy like you seem to be very happy to label me as one but who doesn't want an easier and faster solution. However I failed, couldn't find anything useful but I did my research. Obviously either not hard enough or I wasn't good enough. I asked for help here and got it from hsp. Let him do the complain, if there is really something to complain about.

I am not putting it anywhere, yet. I am still in the early stages of planning to learn how to do it phase. Stay tuned.

What a great way to welcome a new member, nothing more, nothing less. Pat yourself on the back!

Offline hsp

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2019/07/18, 15:14:46 »
I'm not complaining about anything anymore, the times are over :)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2019/07/18, 17:22:14 »
putting simple words like

Cinnamon 4 for Debian

in a search box (you can change the wording around and it comes out the same)

Guess what comes up as the first link

I think very much ubuntu is better suited for you

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #14 on: 2019/07/18, 17:22:32 »
@DeepBlue - calm down - nearly all sides are right. If you consider Norbert's versions - fine - if you consider salsa, fine too - but that are versions that are not in debian rigth now and not official. Given that Norbert is one of the Cinnamon maintainers and was a bit blocked (read his blog or google)  one can use his packages or his packaging one his own risk.

It's the same thing as with Ubuntu PPA's - nobody sane will recommend them for some reasons (unless he is the maintainer of both the official and ppa packages). That leads to the recommendation a) just wait b) use a different distribution if you want to c) do it yourself. It doesn't change the fact that it is not in debian right now.

Maybe, with a bit patience, you will get this important difference in some month/years.