Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] siduction preview  (Read 10547 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] siduction preview
« on: 2011/12/22, 01:40:58 »
http://siduction.org/index.php?module=i ... &pid=2
http://siduction.org/index.php?module=news&func=display&sid=45&lang=en

We released a preview of siduction 2011.1. Please test it thoroughly and let us know the bugs you find.

greetz
devil

zbreaker

RE: siduction preview
« Reply #1 on: 2011/12/22, 14:50:37 »
Current Aptosid user. Was quite happily surprised to see your fork on Distrowatch. I will be
trying an install shortly. Best of luck to siduction.

turtaf

RE: siduction preview
« Reply #2 on: 2011/12/22, 20:21:28 »
Hi devil,
old sidux user here, glad to hear about this new adventure,

good luck to you guys!!

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: siduction preview
« Reply #3 on: 2011/12/22, 21:26:16 »
Quote from: "zbreaker"
Current Aptosid user. Was quite happily surprised to see your fork on Distrowatch. I will be
trying an install shortly. Best of luck to siduction.

+1

downloading now ...
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline tuxic

• User
RE: Re: RE: siduction preview
« Reply #4 on: 2011/12/22, 22:06:54 »
From Puerto Rico,  a past Aptosid user looking for ways to contribute...
"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2011/12/22, 22:10:43 »
welcome, from wherever you may come. this is your friendly aptosid fork 2011 :)

greetz
devil

Offline cryptosteve

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2011/12/22, 22:11:43 »
Welcome aboard, guys ...
- born to create drama -
CS Virtual Travel Bug: VF6G5D

paleoflatus

« Reply #7 on: 2011/12/22, 22:29:59 »
I've used sidux + smxi since the beginning of each, loving the easy setup and management that the combination offers, but I had to withdraw from sidux discussions and support, when they forbid smxi.
Siduction looks great and I'll certainly give it a try, but I'll be interested to see whether it needs smxi, or offers similar ease of maintenance and updating.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2011/12/22, 22:34:13 »
siduction uses what debisan offers for upgrades: apt/aptitude. so in that way its not different than sidux. If you need smxi, use it. if you have problems with it, we cant fix them. but there is #smxi, as you probably know.

greetz
devil

wh7qq

« Reply #9 on: 2011/12/22, 22:58:37 »
This is really great news to me...as one of the sidux/aptosid displaced persons.  I'll be downloading 11.1 tonight when my bandwidth isn't capped.

hinto

« Reply #10 on: 2011/12/22, 23:53:14 »
Wahoo!!!
Right when I thought I was finished with distro-hopping ;)
I'm downloading it now,
-Hinto

sleekmason

siduction preview
« Reply #11 on: 2011/12/23, 00:27:31 »
Oh man am I glad to see this.  After all the sidux bullshit I quit trying.  Some really sad f**ks over there.  Thank you.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: siduction preview
« Reply #12 on: 2011/12/23, 01:51:03 »
Quote from: "paleoflatus"
I've used sidux + smxi since the beginning of each, loving the easy setup and management that the combination offers, but I had to withdraw from sidux discussions and support, when they forbid smxi.
Siduction looks great and I'll certainly give it a try, but I'll be interested to see whether it needs smxi, or offers similar ease of maintenance and updating.

Using smxi with siduction should not be a problem and discussing smxi or any other well known 3rd party scripts here's no issue as long as its not overly promoted unlike over at the aptosid forums its totally verboten to mention it.

In the early days of sidux smxi was well received and h2 provided the support for the sidux users until the day the devs parted ways with him. It was the ease of management provided by h2's scripts that made sidux take off...now users feel lost so here's siduction to the rescue!

Quote from: "sleekmason"
Oh man am I glad to see this.  After all the sidux bullshit I quit trying.  Some really sad f**ks over there.  Thank you.

agreed...siduction is what sidux/aptosid should have been. if sidux and aptosid after it have been more community oriented then siduction might not have come about. it's sad that the current aptosid devs and slh have pretty much locked out much of the userbase that they have gained with all this silliness over smxi.

Another question, will there be a "crossgrade" from Aptosid to siduction?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: RE: Re: RE: siduction preview
« Reply #13 on: 2011/12/23, 02:14:43 »

It was the ease of management provided by h2's scripts that made sidux take off...

I cannot agree to that, and i still fail to see where the easy of use is, when a newb is flooded with page upon page with green and red text clutter on black background compared to the sheer beauty of a few easy commands (non of those is longer than 3 letters after i give them an alias). I will never understand it, sorry.

greetz
devil

zbreaker

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: siduction preview
« Reply #14 on: 2011/12/23, 02:30:14 »
I must agree with devil. When I first started using sidux I was obsessed with smxi. But after awhile I realized that I was holding myself back from truly understanding and managing my system. While smxi is indeed an excellent tool for some to start with a sid based distro, the quicker the weaning away process the better.

At least in my case:)