Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] tzdata Upgrade Will Remove Pkgs  (Read 4849 times)

KrunchTime

[solved] tzdata Upgrade Will Remove Pkgs
« on: 2016/03/17, 00:39:48 »
Code: [Select]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless tzdata-java
The following packages will be upgraded:
  tzdata
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
Need to get 174 kB of archives.
After this operation, 56.9 MB disk space will be freed.

I got around the issue by placing tzdata on hold, dist-upgrading, and then unheld tzdata.
« Last Edit: 2016/04/01, 09:12:05 by musca »

Online Spike_DE

• User
Re: tzdata Upgrade Will Remove Pkgs
« Reply #1 on: 2016/03/21, 21:31:21 »
same by me.

holding tzdata helps, thx for the clue!

how did you make out these dependencies?
--
Spike_DE

type cat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio to hear the voice of god.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2016/03/21, 21:44:04 »
helps for what?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Online Spike_DE

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/03/21, 21:53:02 »
Helps to prevent the removals named above while DU.
--
Spike_DE

type cat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio to hear the voice of god.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2016/03/21, 22:03:55 »
and that helps for what?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline horo

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2016/03/22, 08:51:58 »
Quote from: melmarker
helps for what?
and that helps for what?
Alf,

Normally I'm a big fan of 5 Whys. But if you think know that it is safe to let "openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless tzdata-java" go - why don't you say clearly? Your above answer irritates the not so experienced user.

Ciao, Martin
omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/03/22, 10:47:57 »
horo: I agree. Either reply to shed understanding or don't reply at all.

I think he thinks he's being super clever but sometimes he just sounds like a socially inept dick. Contrast him with towo. Often towo will say just one word and the light of understanding shines. That is because towo IS clever.

eQuacky

« Reply #7 on: 2016/03/22, 11:01:17 »
Hi guys,

The packages of the open-jdk-7... on my system were removed couple of weeks ago by apt.
That was not really "my decision" :) . Indeed some days before there was an installation of the open-jdk-8...s. I wondered - two javas at the same time but no matter. Not that I know I somehow use java.

Greetz
Thomas

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2016/03/22, 11:22:56 »
thanks eQuacky, because you named it finally... it is all about rolling of your siduction installation!

first reaction to apt wanting to remove something should always be the question "why (the hell)?"

the first reaction should definitely not be "start doing something without understanding/knowing", especially due to nature of sid exactly that most probably will lead to further issues later on. putting things on hold in sid should be done if and only if you know what you are doing

while you might question the way melmarker hints at this "learning curve for the user", he is doing exactly what the forum is for, namely helping users (also through helping them to learn to educate and help themselves)

chill out and have a nice day.
absolut

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2016/03/22, 11:29:34 »
In this competition to guess what melmarker want to say, my guess is: If apt want to remove packages, just wait a few hours/days until the problem is solved and you can d-u without anything being removed.

eQuacky

« Reply #10 on: 2016/03/22, 11:56:18 »
@absolut
I'm quite cool - believe me.
Since my beginning in sidux-times I never ever used the holding of packages in apt. For me too dangerous as I am no expert in apt/dpkg.
And should I have offended melmarker that wasn't my intention and I apologize for that. What kind of work he is carrying out for lxqt I know best as it is my favourite flavor.
cya

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2016/03/22, 12:54:34 »
Waiting does not help here, as you can read in the reflectring bugreport.
So you have to let go openjdk7.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2016/03/22, 13:11:52 »
@absolut
I'm quite cool - believe me.
Since my beginning in sidux-times I never ever used the holding of packages in apt. For me too dangerous as I am no expert in apt/dpkg.
And should I have offended melmarker that wasn't my intention and I apologize for that. What kind of work he is carrying out for lxqt I know best as it is my favourite flavor.
cya

to avoid any misunderstanding on that matter, please allow me to clarify that the "you" in my previous reply post was an "indefinite you"... --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_you

anything from line 2 of my post is directed at readers in general

eQuacky

« Reply #13 on: 2016/03/22, 13:35:49 »
@absolut
I got it :-)  - know the generic you in English but didn't feel certain whether you meant sing. or pl. sorry for possible misunderstanding
Thomas

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #14 on: 2016/03/22, 14:22:23 »
eQuacky: i'm not offended :) - but there are some questions that $user should ask himself like - "Why the hell is apt removing packages? Is that intentional? Are there any replacements for the packages like java 8 or java 9 in this special case? Would these packages fit my needs?" Depending on the answers to these questions one could start asking clever questions - Giving questionable suggestions and working against apt might not be the solution - and that was the reason for my question: And that helps for what?