Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [uefi] USB install?  (Read 8185 times)

STiAT

[uefi] USB install?
« on: 2012/12/07, 14:39:50 »
Hi guys,

not sure if the problem is on my side or the siduction side. I've gotten my steam for linux beta today, and therefore installed siduction on my laptop - where everything is pretty fine.

Now I wanted to get it on my Dell X51, my gaming station, where I'm supposed to test it. This baby is set up (by default) with uefi, and I can't seem to get the isos you provide to be recognized as boot media.

You know any trick there to get this to boot?

Yours, Me

STiAT

RE: [uefi] USB install?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/12/07, 15:34:47 »
Ops, should have been at rc2 :(

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: [uefi] USB install?
« Reply #2 on: 2012/12/07, 22:12:39 »
There are many links in this thread discussing the difficulties of installing Debian based distros on UEFI.

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=2268&highlight=

The Ubuntu/Kubuntu installer puts the correct 200MB fat32 partition as the boot partition which is needed to install to a motherboard with UEFI mode enabled.  The Debian installer as well as the siduction installer don't have that ability yet.  Although, there are some interesting developments going on that may soon allow installation to UEFI enabled BIOS.

BTW - I've had mixed results booting the siduction iso on my ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.  Since the ISO isn't created to boot on UEFI, I'm assuming the motherboard has a fallback mode, but, I see no way of switching the board to use just legacy BIOS.  Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to work out a way of installing siduction so it's listed in the UEFI bios yet. I suggest reading through the thread in the link I gave you.  It will give you an idea of what is needed for UEFI installation.  The RodsBooks link is very informative, as well as the link devil gave in post 6 of that thread.
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 03:34:47 by ayla »
Linux Counter number 348347