Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Quake sourceport in next version?  (Read 10780 times)

David

[EN] Quake sourceport in next version?
« on: 2019/02/18, 07:49:56 »
What is a linux distro without a quake sourceport?

all in favor?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Quake sourceport in next version?
« Reply #1 on: 2019/02/18, 12:58:48 »
Considering there are only about 10-15 gaming distro's, *most of those games can be installed manually.

You also have steam and wine

For your quake sourceport(s), there are many, just take your pick

I do build custom iso's with nvidia, wine, and steam installed, but not available to the public.

Most games/packages are just an apt away and are at a users disposal so really no need to include in a distro unless you are a gaming distro.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

David

« Reply #2 on: 2019/02/18, 17:06:06 »
Considering there are only about 10-15 gaming distro's, *most of those games can be installed manually.

You also have steam and wine

For your quake sourceport(s), there are many, just take your pick

I do build custom iso's with nvidia, wine, and steam installed, but not available to the public.

Most games/packages are just an apt away and are at a users disposal so really no need to include in a distro unless you are a gaming distro.
This bit about quake sourceports being an apt away is definitely true, but surely you agree that it would be a greater convenience to add a quake sourceport?

"Gaming distros" ? I do all my gaming right here on siduction. Of course, I don't use nouveau, so I guess that probably makes my situation a little different from yours.

The only game I play often that doesn't work on siduction is GTA V, at least not without huge graphical glitches.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2019/02/18, 19:15:26 »
Quote from: David
but surely you agree that it would be a greater convenience to add a quake sourceport?

No, I don't, and I am a gamer
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

David

« Reply #4 on: 2019/02/19, 00:31:23 »
but surely you agree that it would be a greater convenience to add a quake sourceport?

No, I don't, and I am a gamer

You're a gamer?

that's 2 for 2, time for siduction gamers to rise up

next version of siduction comes with extreme tux racer and higan preinstalled

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2019/02/19, 15:55:32 »
next version of siduction comes with extreme tux racer and higan preinstalled

No thanks. Basic OS with standard Debian system management tools, please.  Users can install what they want.  Don't force us to either update or remove stuff we don't use and don't want, please and thank you.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2019/02/19, 16:33:58 »
Quote from: dibl
No thanks. Basic OS with standard Debian system management tools, please.  Users can install what they want.  Don't force us to either update or remove stuff we don't use and don't want, please and thank you.

HERE ☛ ☛ ☛      👍  👍

David

« Reply #7 on: 2019/02/20, 06:36:23 »
Quote from: dibl

HERE ☛ ☛ ☛      👍  👍

in all seriousness, yeah that's probably best, but in that case why does gnu chess come preinstalled? Why is Transmission part of the install? Why does it have SMPlayer? Why does it have "Genius Math Tool"? None of these are what i'd call "essential programs"

If we have room for SMPlayer, then we have room for quakespasm or darkplaces

I vote for a quake sourceport with faithful graphics, though. Quake is a work of art.

Offline Geier0815

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2019/02/20, 11:10:30 »
You will build a new flavor of siduction? And maintain it? That's fine. I think the other maintainer will accept your offer. ;-)
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2019/02/20, 21:29:16 »
i want pink-pony in - it's in the repo ...
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2019/02/20, 21:46:28 »
But I want a blue pony, with no flowers

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2019/02/21, 00:36:57 »
and i want a unicorn.... "it's so fluffy i'm gonna die"

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #12 on: 2019/02/21, 01:38:42 »
piper - the blue pony is the opponent of the pink one - so your wish can come true
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2019/02/21, 12:17:10 »
Sorry I vote for no ponies, let's just keep what we've got because it works right out of the box. Thanks to all those that have made it that way.  :) :) :)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2019/02/21, 14:00:03 »
If I remember right from the beginning, long back ago the iso was aimed to fit on a cd. This is not the case anymore and that  doesn't matter but for me one of the core ideas of siduction and all it's predecessors is the small installation and everything else an "apt install" away. Please keep it that way.