Siduction Forum > Free Speech

[EN] Hi! Its pretty quiet here!

(1/6) > >>

beje:
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself! I am a guy who is looking to distro-jump and has sniffed a long time around siduction. I will be jumping from Xubuntu and Linux Mint XFCE and I am still wondering if I am doing the right thing... What I am looking for is a distro that has the possibility to install newer packages than Debian Testing while still being in the Debian universe which I do not desire to leave for the moment.is siduction offering this?
I just spinned it on a spare machine and I will anyway test it in the next days...As far as I can see it has the debian feel and freedom of choice which comes with advantages and disadvantages... I forgot to say that I am also looking for a distro that just works and gets out of the way.
My workflow is mainly executing tasks in browser and in office apps (libreoffice and pdfs mainly) and a bit wee of programming (nowadays python, web dev, some dockers here and there for the self hosted services)
One last question before I submit this first post: why is siduction categorized as dormant on the distrowatch?
Thanks!

devil:
Hi beje,

to answer your last question first: we have not had an official release in a while. That is what happens on Distrowatch. If you install fresh, please use https://isobuilds.siduction.org/. These are newer than the last official release. (the plasma image has a broken graphical installer.  If that is your flavour of choice, you need to use cli-installer instead. Other than that we are in a state of corona hiatus, so it might seem quieter than usual. You can reach us on IRC though (european timezones mostly).

The only thing siduction needs to be happy is dist-upgrades as often as possible.

beje:

--- Quote ---The only thing siduction needs to be happy is dist-upgrades as often as possible.
--- End quote ---
Is there a reason for it?
Is it cleaning the way for the new packages refreshing the dependencies?
Thanks for the other clarifications!
I have installed without difficulty the XFCE DE from the 18.03 iso and to upgrade and dist-upgrade. Now (almost) everything is up to date.
I will move part of my workflow on the test machine to see how it is running. I miss the "polishness" of the downstream distros but I also like that I need to get my hands a bit dirty into bring it to the comfort level...

eriefisher:
Myself, I dist-upgrade about once a week and have not seen any issues. Most of the problems recently have been with KDE I think. I also use XFCE4 so it doesn't effect me. Sid can be a bit of a moving target sometimes and occasionally you will get a bug in a package or a conflict. I just ride it out and wait a bit an these issues usually get ironed out pretty quickly. If your going to run Debian then Sid is where you need to be. Stable gets stale real fast and Testing seems to have more issues than I want to tackle all the time. Besides, the Siduction devs make it a pleasure to run. Just watch the forum for upgrade warnings before you upgrade.

beje:
This dist-upgrade is newish to me... I mean I was not using it actively... Is there a list/article of best practices that I could read? Thanks!
p.s. I have took the leap of faith and installed on my daily driver. so far so good!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version