Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  The permission of the setuid helper is not correct  (Read 28012 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
I just tried to dist-upgrade a older Riders install that hadn't been updated for a while.  It had 1027 updates.  It was able to update about half of the packages marked for update, but seemed to bork when it hit python3-pykde4.

When I rebooted it told me that Consolekit could not start the session (although kde did eventually start) because the permission of the setuid helper was not correct.  Similar error came during the dist-upgrade:
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.Permissions Invalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct.

I tried apt-get -f install, without success.  So, before I start experimenting with other methods to fix the problem, does anyone know of a simple fix?  The whole output is in the code section below.
Code: [Select]
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 software-properties-kde : Depends: python3-pykde4 but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.                                                                                                                
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get -f install                                                                                          
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                            
Correcting dependencies... Done                                                                                                                    
The following extra packages will be installed:                                                                                                    
  python3-pykde4                                                                                                                                    
The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                      
  python3-pykde4                                                                                                                                    
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 570 not upgraded.                                                                                    
532 not fully installed or removed.                                                                                                                
Need to get 0 B/3,991 kB of archives.                                                                                                              
After this operation, 30.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.                                                                                
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?                                                                                                                      
(Reading database ... 448778 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                            
Unpacking python3-pykde4 (from .../python3-pykde4_4%3a4.11.1-0r0_amd64.deb) ...                                                                    
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python3-pykde4_4%3a4.11.1-0r0_amd64.deb (--unpack):                                                  
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/kde4/kpythonpluginfactory.cpython-33m.so', which is also in package python-kde4 4:4.10.4-0r1                        
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)                                                                                
Errors were encountered while processing:                                                                                                          
 /var/cache/apt/archives/python3-pykde4_4%3a4.11.1-0r0_amd64.deb                                                                                    
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.PermissionsInvalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct                          
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

On my other 3 Riders installations, which were updated with more frequency, I didn't run into this problem.  Any ideas?
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct
« Reply #1 on: 2013/09/08, 21:57:30 »
I would first try to purge software-properties-kde and then try a du, if all goes well reinstall software-properties-kde

I actually thought this was a ubuntu only  package

http://packages.debian.org/sid/software-properties-kde
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/09/08, 23:10:45 »
It looks like I'm in a loop.  Everything I try to remove brings me back to the error.  Some results:
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get purge software-properties-kde
Building dependency tree      
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 apper : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Building dependency tree      
  python3-pykde4
  python3-pykde4
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python3-pykde4_4%3a4.11.1-0r0_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/kde4/kpythonpluginfactory.cpython-33m.so', which is also in package python-kde4 4:4.10.4-0r1
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.PermissionsInvalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct

root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get remove python-kde
Building dependency tree      
E: Unable to locate package python-kde
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get remove python-kde4
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                            
 plasma-scriptengine-python : Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.6.80) but it is not going to be installed                                                
 software-properties-kde : Depends: python3-pykde4 but it is not going to be installed                                                              
 system-config-printer-kde : Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.2.0) but it is not going to be installed                                                  
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution)
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get purge software-properties-kde
Building dependency tree      
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Building dependency tree      
  python3-pykde4
  python3-pykde4
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get remove python-kde
Building dependency tree      
E: Unable to locate package python-kde
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get remove python-kde4
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                            
 plasma-scriptengine-python : Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.6.80) but it is not going to be installed                                                
 software-properties-kde : Depends: python3-pykde4 but it is not going to be installed                                                              
 system-config-printer-kde : Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.2.0) but it is not going to be installed                                                  
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2013/09/08, 23:40:39 »
Understanding that a dpkg guru like DonKult could probably trace the problem to a single bad actor package, I have been known to simply rip out the entire DE, run my dist-upgrade, then reinstall the DE to get around this kind of situation. It's a crude "solution", but it's also usually a fast solution.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

belze

« Reply #4 on: 2013/09/08, 23:42:04 »
i had a simila problem some time ago. I think you can delete software-properties-kde following this guide
http://www.piprime.fr/1480/manually-remove-broken-package-debian-ubuntu/
i hope it helps

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/09/08, 23:55:36 »
What does the output of
apt-get upgrade -s say
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/09/09, 00:14:42 »
Thanks belize, the tutorial allowed me to remove software-properties-kde, but, the problem remains.

@dibl  I hear what your saying, I'm getting close.  I wanted this install to experiment with dracut, and, I'm spending to much time with this.  Though I'm OCD about giving up.

@piper  This, after removing software-properties-kde.
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get upgrade -s
Building dependency tree      
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/09/09, 01:10:52 »
Quote from: "GoinEasy9"

software-properties-kde looks like it's still there
apt-cache policy software-properties-kde
also
apt-cache policy python3-pykde4

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/09/09, 02:15:01 »
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-cache policy software-properties-kde
software-properties-kde:
  Installed: 0.92.25debian1
  Candidate: 0.92.25debian1
  Version table:
 *** 0.92.25debian1 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-cache policy python3-pykde4
python3-pykde4:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4:4.11.1-0r0
  Version table:
     4:4.11.1-0r0 0
        500 http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
     4:4.10.5-1+b1 0

OK, so I guess that Ubuntu link didn't actually remove software-properties-kde. I should have checked after I ran the routine). python3-pykde4 is not installed.  I guess it did work for that.  

Same library in 2 different applications? GDBus errors?  Permissions errors?  All points to something simple to fix :) ,  but, hell to find.  

A whole lot of this in syslog:
Sep  8 18:45:02 siduction64kde dbus[2395]: [system] Activated service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks' failed: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct
Sep  8 18:58:38 siduction64kde kernel: [ 3271.312070] end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Sep  8 18:58:38 siduction64kde kernel: [ 3271.337098] end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Sep  8 19:09:01 siduction64kde /USR/SBIN/CRON[11923]: (root) CMD (  [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))
Sep  8 19:17:01 siduction64kde /USR/SBIN/CRON[20227]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Sep  8 19:21:45 siduction64kde dbus[2395]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' (using servicehelper)
Sep  8 19:21:45 siduction64kde dbus[2395]: [system] Activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit' failed: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct
Sep  8 19:21:45 siduction64kde dbus[2395]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' (using servicehelper)
Sep  8 19:21:45 siduction64kde dbus[2395]: [system] Activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit' failed: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct
Sep  8 19:39:01 siduction64kde /USR/SBIN/CRON[3947]: (root) CMD (  [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

I'm still looking.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/09/09, 03:40:43 »
Could I see the output of
apt-get remove --purge python3-pykde4 libpython3.3 python3-pyqt4 python3-sip software-properties-kde  -s

I don't have  python3-pykde4 installed (nor software-properties-kde), but I know it will bring in libpython3.3 python3-pyqt4 python3-sip, just curious what it will remove.

Edit: Actually installing the whole thing
piper@x1:~$ apt-get install python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde -s
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Building dependency tree      
  libpython3.3 libqapt-runtime libqapt1 libxapian22 python3-apt python3-dbus python3-gi python3-pyqt4 python3-sip python3-software-properties qapt-batch
  software-properties-common unattended-upgrades
Suggested packages:
  xapian-tools python3-apt-dbg python-apt-doc python-dbus-doc python3-dbus-dbg python3-pyqt4-dbg bsd-mailx mail-transport-agent
  libpython3.3 libqapt-runtime libqapt1 libxapian22 python3-apt python3-dbus python3-gi python3-pykde4 python3-pyqt4 python3-sip
  python3-software-properties qapt-batch software-properties-common software-properties-kde unattended-upgrades
0 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Inst libpython3.3 (3.3.2-5 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-gi (3.8.3-1+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst libxapian22 (1.2.15-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst libqapt1 (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst libqapt-runtime (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-apt (0.8.9.1+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-dbus (1.2.0-2+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-sip (4.14.7-4 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-pyqt4 (4.10.2-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst python3-pykde4 (4:4.11.1-0r0 packages.siduction.org [amd64])
Inst unattended-upgrades (0.80~sid2 Debian:unstable [all])
Inst python3-software-properties (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])
Inst qapt-batch (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Inst software-properties-common (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])
Inst software-properties-kde (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])
Conf mythtv-database (0.27.0~rc1-dmo1 Unofficial Multimedia Packages:None/unstable [all])
Conf mythtv (0.27.0~rc1-dmo1 Unofficial Multimedia Packages:None/unstable [all])
Conf libpython3.3 (3.3.2-5 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-gi (3.8.3-1+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf libxapian22 (1.2.15-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf libqapt1 (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf libqapt-runtime (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-apt (0.8.9.1+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-dbus (1.2.0-2+b1 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-sip (4.14.7-4 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-pyqt4 (4.10.2-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf python3-pykde4 (4:4.11.1-0r0 packages.siduction.org [amd64])
Conf unattended-upgrades (0.80~sid2 Debian:unstable [all])
Conf python3-software-properties (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])
Conf qapt-batch (1.3.0-2 Debian:unstable [amd64])
Conf software-properties-common (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])
Conf software-properties-kde (0.92.25debian1 Debian:unstable [all])

Disregard the mythtv stuff ;)

When was the last time you did a du ?

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/09/09, 05:48:04 »
As I mentioned in my first post, it was a while.  I checked dpkg.log, it was 6/22/13.  KDE was going from 4.10.4 to 4.11.1 in this update.

root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-get remove --purge python3-pykde4 libpython3.3 python3-pyqt4 python3-sip software-properties-kde  -s
Building dependency tree    
Package 'python3-pykde4' is not installed, so not removed
 python-kde4 : Depends: libpython3.3 (>= 3.3.1) but it is not going to be installed

Seems like I can't do anything without the error.

This was interesting:
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# dpkg -i --ignore-depends=python3-pykde4 python3-pykde4
dpkg: error processing python3-pykde4 (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
 python3-pykde4
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# dpkg -r --ignore-depends=python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde
(Reading database ... 448777 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing software-properties-kde ...
dpkg: warning: while removing software-properties-kde, directory '/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/kde' not empty so not removed
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# dpkg -r --ignore-depends=python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove software-properties-kde which isn't installed
root@siduction64kde:/home/goineasy9# apt-cache policy software-properties-kde
software-properties-kde:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.92.25debian1
  Version table:
     0.92.25debian1 0

So I emptied /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/kde and removed software-proerties-kde and using apt-get -f install I got:
Building dependency tree      
  python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde
  python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 580 not upgraded.
531 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/4,038 kB of archives.
After this operation, 30.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 448758 files and directories currently installed.)
Selecting previously unselected package software-properties-kde.
Unpacking software-properties-kde (from .../software-properties-kde_0.92.25debian1_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for mime-support ...

So it sees python3-pykde4 software-properties-kde as dependencies of other installed programs.

Decision to do a reinstall is getting close, especially since your not showing these packages at all.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/09/09, 16:51:22 »
I would hold off on the "reinstall"

Santa, *might be able to help on this one :)

I would also do a du more frequently in the future, once a week at the least ;)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/09/09, 19:40:25 »
Hey Piper

After installing Firestarter on a separate HD and transferring everything over from the Riders HD, I lost track of the install.  It sat under another HD since June.  I figured I'd upgrade it and use it for testing.  I don't usually wait such a long time between updates.

At this point doing a reinstall and having to update may just lead me back into the same predicament, unless I leave kdenext disabled, so, I'll let it sit and see if Santa comes up with anything. I'd like to know what went wrong.

My old thinkpad G41 was also recently updated after a long stretch and had no problem, but, then again, it doesn't have experimental or kdenext repos enabled.

I'm not a fan of long waits between updates, but, neither of these were active installs.  The two laptops that I actively use, have experimental and kdenext enabled and have been updated weekly without problems.  The same goes for my Firestarter desktop.

I seem to be ruled by Murphy's Law.  I start one project and wind up spending my time sidetracked by another.

Santa

« Reply #13 on: 2013/09/09, 20:19:16 »
Hi,

I have uploaded a pykde4 to kdenext which might fix your issue.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2013/09/09, 22:48:54 »
Santa, you're amazing.  apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade; apt-get -f install fixed the pykde4 problem and finished installing those programs that were already downloaded.  Another apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade finished the whole upgrade.

@piper  Thanks for your help and advice, and, thanks for the feedback.