Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  KF5 users beware dmo removals!  (Read 4606 times)

holgerw

Re: KF5 users beware dmo removals!
« Reply #15 on: 2015/09/22, 07:16:18 »
Hello,

one question: I've learned the last years, that dmo is evil stuff and that Marrilat has not the technical know-how to build proper stuff for Debian.

Has something changed in judging about Marrilat's repo here?

Kind regrads,
  Holger

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #16 on: 2015/09/22, 11:31:20 »
holgerw, not using dmo is still kind of "official" advice to keep a consistent supportable system. Nonetheless, experienced users can do to their system what ever they want  ;), and some use/need stuff from there. I'm sure these users don't shed tears if something breaks but fix it themselves...
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #17 on: 2015/09/22, 11:37:57 »
I don't know about "evil" -- perhaps that kind of description relates to DFSG policy or some political opinion.  Some years ago there was a big controversy about the trademark "Debian" and the name of the non-debian repo had to be changed.  Over the years I have used dmo sometimes, and other times leave it commented out if my multimedia packages are working correctly.  It has occasionally happened -- maybe twice in 8 years -- that there is some conflict in the versions and dependencies between a dmo package and some other package from debian, but that is a rare situation in my experience. My problem that started this thread turned out to be caused by skype dependencies -- it was not a dmo problem in the end.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #18 on: 2015/09/22, 13:00:18 »
Christian Marillat (dmo maintainer) is a debian developer ( Debian Multimedia) and other things https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=marillat%40debian.org

I don't listen again to the BS in the  ......

Since the first year that mythtv came out (it was a bitch to install & configure back then) I have been using this repo and can count on one hand when something went wrong, and then, it was fixed in under 24 hours

All my builds (not stock builds) have this repo installed & enabled.

my kittens didn't die
my wife is still with me
however, i no longer have a ponytail and lost most my hair

http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2012/06/12/debian-project-leader-stefano/?doing_wp_cron=1442918324.0375890731811523437500

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=111905

google for more
« Last Edit: 2015/09/22, 13:05:59 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck