Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  are there nightly builds?  (Read 4447 times)

crankypuss

are there nightly builds?
« on: 2016/01/22, 08:36:27 »
Some other projects make nightly builds available, are nightlys available for siduction, and if so where can they be downloaded?

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: are there nightly builds?
« Reply #1 on: 2016/01/22, 09:28:23 »
Hello crankypuss,

their are no scheduled builds available.
Most users use installed systems and enjoy the rolling release.
Did you know you can dist-upgrade in live-mode (anything besides kernel, because reboot)?

Sometimes interested users contact us on irc://irc.oftc.net:6667/#siduction
and offer help to test fresh builds.

Some users build their own homebrew, see  http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4777.0

greetings
musca

[edit: tricky smf doesn't support irc:// links, sorry. Just drag'n drop the link to another browser-tab]
« Last Edit: 2016/01/22, 09:34:13 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

crankypuss

« Reply #2 on: 2016/01/22, 11:26:39 »
Hello crankypuss,

their are no scheduled builds available.

Okay, no nightly builds.  Is it correct that there will be 32bit builds along with the 64bit builds that happen... what is it, every month or so?

Most users use installed systems and enjoy the rolling release.

Once I get siduction installed I hope to join them.

Did you know you can dist-upgrade in live-mode (anything besides kernel, because reboot)?

I'm not sure whether I knew that or not... I "know" that I can update a stretch install to sid by modifying sources.list and running the update program, but haven't attempted that yet.  Are you saying that I could upgrade from stretch to siduction in more or less the same way?  If so could you either post, or direct me to, the appropriate sources.list contents for upgrading from stretch to siduction?

Sometimes interested users contact us on irc://irc.oftc.net:6667/#siduction
and offer help to test fresh builds.

Some users build their own homebrew, see  http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4777.0

greetings
musca

[edit: tricky smf doesn't support irc:// links, sorry. Just drag'n drop the link to another browser-tab]

I think that building a homebrew is beyond my connectivity limitations.  I only have metered wireless broadband access through Verizon so the amount of data required to set up a mirror and keep it relatively current sounds (from the referenced thread) prohibitive.

Can you recommend an IRC client?  I haven't used one since moving to linux a few years back.  Of course google will show suggestions but if one is better than the rest please advise.

I was unable to get the siduction installer to work on the ASUS (as you know) but from what I saw of LXQT in live mode, it seems very nice.  Please post or email more information about the approach of doing a dist-upgrade, that sounds like the most practical approach to this situation.  Thanks.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/01/22, 12:54:40 »
It'a all in the manual. And for IRC, just click on the IRC  icon in live mode.

greetz
devil

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #4 on: 2016/01/22, 14:22:52 »
Hello crankypuss,

siduction comes with preconfigured irc clients.

hexchat is a fine irc-client.

But there are plenty of alternatives in debian, here is a small selection.

irssi or weechat in textmode,
konversation or kontact in KDE,
empathy or polari in gnome,
pidgin in general (anything goes),
even icedove can do it.

or webchat

greetings
musca

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #5 on: 2016/01/22, 14:31:04 »
Hello crankypuss,

dist-upgrade in live-mode

you don't need a fresh iso, you can boot your iso to runlevel 3,
do a dist-upgrade of the iso and "systemctl isolate graphical.target" to start a most recent system.

When you start the installer from this state, your resulting installation will be current.

Disclaimer: not guaranteed to work at any given time as we deal with sid.
And of course you will need enough ram to buffer the packages and the installed binaries.

greetings
musca

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2016/01/22, 17:59:44 »
And only a hint - the iso itself and the installer are proven to work - so i wouldn't recommend to dist-upgrade a live system without need. upgrading the installed system might be a better idea.

(upgrade some packages is ok, esp. if new versions of the installer or other critical packages are availabel. These special cases should be and are listed in  the errata thread)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

crankypuss

« Reply #7 on: 2016/01/22, 23:04:47 »
It'a all in the manual.

I don't want to be in arguments here.  As a point of philosophy, the concept of an "Installation Manual" is an open admission that the installation software is crude enough that you need to read a book before running it.  That's philosophy, not argument, please.

And for IRC, just click on the IRC  icon in live mode.

Excellent, hadn't thought of that, until a system has installed successfully I tend to think of its install medium as scratchable storage resource, but as it turns out the siduction install stick is right next to the box; thanks, might see you there soon.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2016/01/22, 23:59:32 »
Guess what? We don't care.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

crankypuss

« Reply #9 on: 2016/01/23, 10:36:26 »
Guess what? We don't care.

I'm not sure what your issue is, but I'm going to apply Hanlon's razor here, and not care that you don't care about whatever you're saying you don't care about.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.  -- Hanlons razor

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2016/01/23, 12:37:49 »
@crankypuss

Seriously? You refuse to read the manual which may answer all of your questions and then piss off our developers who have better things to do than hold hands of people who want to be spoon fed.
You had a great opportunity to work out how to install on your tablet and contribute to the community including other people who own the same device. Instead you call our developers stupid.
Trolling for sure.

crankypuss

« Reply #11 on: 2016/01/23, 13:06:17 »
@crankypuss

Seriously? You refuse to read the manual which may answer all of your questions

There is a whole web of information out there "which may answer all of your questions".

Debian does not use a browser-based install program that can't connect.  The only real benefit of siduction is that the drivers are supposedly preinstalled, though they appear not to be installed in the installer image.  So there's really no benefit over Debian, except for the snotty forum moderators.

and then piss off our developers who have better things to do than hold hands of people who want to be spoon fed.

Are you telling me that these snotty forum moderator types are your developers?  ROFL, no wonder the install doesn't work, they're spending all their time chasing people away and whining about their lack of resources.

You had a great opportunity to work out how to install on your tablet and contribute to the community including other people who own the same device. Instead you call our developers stupid.
Trolling for sure.

No, I'm not trolling, I'm just cranky.  I just pulled the Debian netinst, I have no use for the bureaucracy this distro reeks of.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2016/01/23, 13:26:05 »
Can't somebody lock this thread also, it's depressive and getting nowhere?

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #13 on: 2016/01/23, 13:30:19 »
Yes, since this thread is going crazy, i will lock him.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #14 on: 2016/01/23, 13:39:57 »
Quote from: crankypuss
Quote from: sunrat on Today at 06:37:49 AM@crankypuss

Seriously? You refuse to read the manual which may answer all of your questions
There is a whole web of information out there "which may answer all of your questions".

Debian does not use a browser-based install program that can't connect.  The only real benefit of siduction is that the drivers are supposedly preinstalled, though they appear not to be installed in the installer image.  So there's really no benefit over Debian, except for the snotty forum moderators.

Quote from: sunrat on Today at 06:37:49 AM and then piss off our developers who have better things to do than hold hands of people who want to be spoon fed.
Are you telling me that these snotty forum moderator types are your developers?  ROFL, no wonder the install doesn't work, they're spending all their time chasing people away and whining about their lack of resources.

Quote from: sunrat on Today at 06:37:49 AMYou had a great opportunity to work out how to install on your tablet and contribute to the community including other people who own the same device. Instead you call our developers stupid.
Trolling for sure.
No, I'm not trolling, I'm just cranky.  I just pulled the Debian netinst, I have no use for the bureaucracy this distro reeks of.

ROFLHFAO

I want, I want, I want, I want, I don't want to read, I don't want to learn, just spoonfeed me, let me troll, disrespect you & others if I don't get what I want

Reading this thread really scares the shit out of me.

Is this really how life is after the baby boomer generation ?

You sir, are a true embarrassment to mommy and  society.

A true  .........  ....... ...... and don't forget ..... ......  ....... and last but not least ........   .... ................. ........... .........,  but hey, what the fuck.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck