Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Updates Yes/No ?  (Read 8718 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
[EN] RE: Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #15 on: 2012/07/11, 03:05:09 »
Is it just me ... I see nothing wrong with this

IWhere did you read this nonsense? Siduction is Debian/sid compatible, nothing else.

DistroWatch.com: siduction

The siduction distribution is a desktop-oriented operating system and live medium based on the "unstable" branch of Debian GNU/Linux
also doing a google search  (or any search engine) brings up
https://www.google.com/search?q=siduction

English is my language and I don't get what the problem is :?:

Is it aptosid ? or is it because ...

The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

sqlpython

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #16 on: 2012/07/11, 05:11:26 »
@Lanzi
 Thanks for the thought .. :^)

@Michaa7
I would assume someone has done some basic homework before even installing something.

You are not wrong but in my case the
  Problem is this.... I have 7 running computers on 2 networks.
Each hard drive with a number of partitions and each machine installed with many different distros. I have been this way for years... Just look at the Thinkpad on which I am now typing. The Thinkpad has installs of Arch, Slackware, CrunchBang, Squeeze, Wheezy and Siduction. Some of the other machines have flavors ArchBang, Centos, Scientific, Solaris, PClinuxOS, Kubuntu, PCbsd, DesktopBSD, Lbuntu and FreeBSD. I have dev tools on almost every set up and move development from partition to partiton. I have copies of the same C++,, Java and Python code everywhere. All depends where I am hanging out for the day...very, very messy.
 So, As I use different OS/Distros I do overlook the obvious sometimes.. Sometimes as I work I just forget where I am ...LOL
Now was that a kldload or a modprobe.. you see..
Not an excuse just the way it is.
I will and do forget the obvious and then Bang my head against the wall for the stupidity of it all.
 Maybe I am drawn here because ..LOL... like Sid, I am unstable (a bit)..

Next time you notice me making what seems to be an obvious mis step just say to yourself..
 Humph! it's just sqlpython. Probably working with GNU Hurd again today.... I will just point the sorry excuse for a nerd in the right direction and just step away.. LMAO

sqlpython

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #17 on: 2012/07/11, 05:24:01 »
@piper

English is my language and I don't get what the problem is

You are from a town named Cheektowaga and you can say that with a straight face..
Just joking I could resist.. {smile}

Joking aside with apologies to your Town..
  I don't really see it as a problem either but just wanted to point out that it was not nonsense and did exist somewhere,, and it was Courteousy of Debian Devs.
  I don't just make make stuff up.... Weelll sometimes I do but that aside. ;^)

holgerw

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #18 on: 2012/07/11, 07:35:07 »
Hello,

so after pointing out by different useres here, that everything is okay, we're happy again and start with a nice new day :-)

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #19 on: 2012/07/11, 12:37:38 »
Always go to init 3, don't use synaptic (unless you want to use it for a "viewer").  Only use dist-upgrade, never upgrade.

I update my own siduction machines every day or two.  A couple of family members have older sidux systems that only get updated a few times per year, but as long as the hardware holds up, the Gnu/Linux keeps on running.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

holgerw

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #20 on: 2012/07/11, 15:16:42 »
Hello @dibl and others,

one thing, I allways use apt and the option update, because this refresh the repo data :-)

So with update there is nothing wrong under Debian Sid, but then you should use dist-upgrade and not upgrade.

And now I'll confess you a secret: I often use the konsole under KDE or synaptic to search, install or update my complete siduction system.

I don't want to provoke but in some cases of strongly broken dependencies it makes no difference between Runlevel three or five for the chance to get a broken package management.

But my recommandation for all people, who ask, how to make dist-upgrades, is runlevel three :-)

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #21 on: 2012/07/11, 16:22:23 »
Quote from: "holgerw"

one thing, I allways use apt and the option update, because this refresh the repo data :-)

mehhhhh -- I was writing too early in the morning, before I was awake!  Yes of course you are correct -- fixing my post now.

Thanks!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

sqlpython

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #22 on: 2012/07/11, 17:27:21 »
@dibl says;
Always go to init 3, don't use synaptic

Really is sound advice though admittedly I stay in 5..
Can't seemed to be bothered with a simple telinit 3 to console mode... I pop open a console but will try to discipline myself.

@holgerew says:

one thing, I allways use apt and the option update,............

So with update there is nothing wrong under Debian Sid, but then you should use dist-upgrade and not upgrade.

Now there is a discipline that I always reccommend and follow. As not doing so has caused me grief in the past..
 And also apt-get update once again upon finishing the upgrade. There are times when some broken packages will surface which can usually be fixed via..
Code: [Select]
apt-get install -f
although I also get positive repair results with
Code: [Select]
apt-get update -f
... yet I have not seen it documented in this way..

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #23 on: 2012/07/11, 17:35:00 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
admittedly I stay in 5..

The devs say that under certain circumstances (during X server upgrades) that could cost you your X display setup and/or user login.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #24 on: 2012/07/17, 00:02:52 »

Really is sound advice though admittedly I stay in 5..
Can't seemed to be bothered with a simple telinit 3 to console mode... I pop open a console but will try to discipline myself.

After years of testing this, sooner or later, it will bite you in the ass, especially kde, x, yes, losing login is a common one

there's no place like 127.0.0.1
there's no place like ::1 (for those who have completed the transition to IPv6)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

hinto

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #25 on: 2012/07/17, 02:35:48 »
Just did a dist-upgrade on a new KDE install.
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade covers a multitude of sins ;)
I now have wobbly windows in KDE.
-Hinto

holgerw

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #26 on: 2012/07/17, 06:38:52 »
Hello @piper,

After years of testing this, sooner or later, it will bite you in the ass, especially kde, x, yes, losing login is a common one

After using sid stuff since Debian Woody there were some circumstances, which broke my package management, but this had not to do with runlevel 3 or 5.

For dist-upgrades on the PC of my father, I use x based teamviewer. All nvidia and vbox stuff was build properly after every DU in the past. On my siduction machines and that of my wife I do the same. And there was nothing biting in our ass :-)

Sorry, but in 2012 after 20 years developement of Linux, package management and so on I expect an upgrade mechanism which does not break anything when using a gui.

Okay, we using a rolling release here. But PCLOS also is a rolling release, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or an OpenSUSE with extra KDE4 repo is also a rolling release. And there breaks nothing, when using synaptic or yast gui for making complete DUs.

But once again:
My recommandation for all people, who ask, how to make dist-upgrades, is runlevel three

@sqlpython: apt-get update does not finish any Upgrade. It refreshes repo data, nothing more. Please read the apt man page.

Kind regards,
  Holger

timc

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #27 on: 2012/07/17, 14:16:27 »
@sqlpython, this may not add much to the discussion, but I am a newbie user, I do dist-upgrades every day, and it has never caused me any problems. I do my dist-upgrades in init 3.

Tim

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #28 on: 2012/07/17, 14:41:26 »
You get to keep the pieces when it breaks. And it will.

edit: misread. init 3 is of course ok.

greetz
devil

hinto

Updates Yes/No ?
« Reply #29 on: 2012/07/17, 15:04:21 »
^not sure why anyone would resist init 3?
-H