Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?  (Read 14271 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[EN] Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #15 on: 2013/05/13, 16:55:26 »
Quote from: "piper"
I am one "of those people" that don't share home with anything. :)

Can we assume that "home" in this case is configuration only? All *real* personal files are on (a) seperate partition(s) and maybe linked to folders in "home"?
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Would someone want to assist me to install Cinnamon?
« Reply #16 on: 2013/05/13, 17:23:02 »
No, I don't share anything in home, or on a seperate partition, nothing linked, new install, right from scratch, clean.

.thunderbird , .mozilla & pyfll thats it, thats how I like it :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2013/05/13, 17:53:05 »
But your images, videos, music, docs, where do they live? You don't throw them away with any new install.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2013/05/13, 20:59:02 »
Quote from: "michaa7"
But your images, videos, music, docs, where do they live? You don't throw them away with any new install.

images and docs go to either my FTP server or cloud,movies and music go to my mythtv server, all separate machines
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2013/05/14, 17:05:46 »
Ok the post above was done on my phone at work so I had to be quick

If and when, I get more hard drive space michaa7, yes, a separate partition is the way I have done it normally, but really, never do I just "put" the "home" back after an install like I see so many people do ;)

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2013/05/26, 14:51:49 »
So today I surrender on trying to install cinnamon on noX.

In betwenn I have a complete working gnome2 environment, panels and all but still when I'm choosing cinnamon insteed of gnome in DM there is no panel, bar or whatever it's called.
On a gnome test installation same cinnamon version works without any problem.

For just playing around a little with nox and a new DE I have wasted to much time in between anyway. :evil:

greets
ayla

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
« Reply #21 on: 2013/05/26, 16:15:34 »
Hi ayla,
also wenn ich dich richtig verstehe hast du die Cinnamon Installation, ausgehend von Nox, nicht funktionsfähig zum laufen gebracht. Ich bin bei dieser Variante auch gescheitert, weil ich es nicht hinbekommen habe die fehlenden Pakete (vermutlich ein GNOME-Paket) zu identifizieren die einen funktionsfähigen Desktop ergeben.

Ausgehend von einer ISO siduction-GMOME bzw. einer Debian Testing (ebenfalls GMOME) konnte ich problemlos einen funktionsfähigen Cinnamon Desktop installieren. Ein Vergleich der Paketlisten (siduction-Nox/siduction-GNOME) mit anschließender Installation von GNOME-Paketen bei der Nox-Installation brachte leider keinen Erfolg.

Ich vermute in SID fehlen den Cinnamon Pakten noch ein paar wichtige Dinge ;-)

-----EN-----

Hi Ayla,
so if I understand you correctly you have the Cinnamon installation, starting from Nox, not made ​​to run functional. I'm in this variant also failed because I did not get it the missing packages (probably a GNOME package) to identify yield a functional desktop.

Starting from an ISO siduction GMOME or a Debian testing (also GMOME) I could easily install a working Cinnamon desktop. Unfortunately, a comparison of package lists (siduction-Nox/siduction-GNOME) with subsequent installation of GNOME packages was not successful at the Nox installation.

I suspect in the Cinnamon packages SID missing a few important things;-)

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2013/05/26, 16:39:13 »
Hi,

I have promised that I will take a look about how to install cinnamon. I have started with nox.
Ayla, to work from nox please install also at least gnome-themes-standard.

Thank you.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2013/05/26, 18:28:46 »
Hi,

no I didn't get it to work. At my last try I installed every package named "gnome-..." which I get with dpkg --get-selections from the normal installed siduction-gnome-iso. Included gnome-themes-standard.
gnome2 was working fine then, gnome3, when startet from dm, was falling back to gnome2 -which it should, I hadn't installed all neccessary for gnome3-, but cinnamon still was missing its controlbar.
I have now set up noX new, installed a kde-standard then -which is working fine- and have tried to install cinnamon after. Same result as before -plain blue unresponsive background.

This seems not to depend on a missing gnome or kde package but I have no idea what basic package I miss here.

greets
ayla

EDIT: hmm... or are there just some settings missing? Something siduction-settings-gnome or -kde is giving but missing on siduction-settings-nox or something like this?
I'm out of time now, but I will try to have a look in this direction later.

@bluelupo: I don't think cinnamon in sid is missing something, it works fine on my installation from gnome iso.

I had to take back "working fine with kde", shot my main installation by trying again...  :cry:

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #24 on: 2013/05/26, 19:36:34 »
I agree.
Irt seems that I have missed something.
I guess that should be installed also gnome themes.
I will test more and I will tell you.
Thank you.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #25 on: 2013/05/27, 16:32:13 »
I had a first glimpse of success with installing on top of noX the following:
Code: [Select]
apt-get install xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-common xinit xauth lightdm cinnamon cinnamon-common gnome-themes-standard gnome-icon-theme x-window-manager desktop-base nautilus
First reboot takes some time and I am not sure if that really is lightdm where I chose Cinnamon (first pic), and got a cinnamon desktop (firestarter wallpaper chosen manually afterwards):

Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #26 on: 2013/05/27, 18:28:06 »
Yes, you got it, thanks for sharing.

System:    Host: nox386box Kernel: 3.9-4.towo-siduction-686 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.3)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 1.7.4  Distro: siduction 13.1.0 Firestarter - nox - (201305202158)

Cinnamon is running.
 :)

Guess the missing one here was desktop-base.

For all interrested I made a list of all installed packages for comparing:
 http://paste.siduction.org/20130527161509

hmm... this first pic has to be lightdm, I have the same one and lightdm is the only installed DM here.

greets
ayla

Offline convbsd

• User
« Reply #27 on: 2013/05/27, 19:40:35 »
Interesting
It's running also for me but without desktop-base.
In fact I have tried to build an iso with cinnamon and it seems that's usable.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #28 on: 2013/05/27, 19:46:57 »
Quote from: "convbsd"
Interesting
It's running also for me but without desktop-base.

hmm! So it's not desktop-base...
A pity I don't have kept the list of my former installs, so I can't compare.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #29 on: 2013/05/27, 20:18:54 »
I installed desktop-base only because it was suggested, but think it is not necessary for cinnamon but only provides some basic grub graphics and such.
Could the necessary package perhaps be nautilus, came across some other forums where they said you need it to provide desktop-icons and so on.
When I have access to that virtual machine again (tomorrow@work), I'll try again.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.