Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  warning! today upgrade will remove without asking your nvidia 390xx driver!!  (Read 4015 times)

Offline tommy2

• User
Thanks dibl, once again let the facts speak for themselves in that I should keep my advise for my own use.  :-[
« Last Edit: 2019/02/14, 14:37:04 by tommy2 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Again the advise:

use apt instead of apt-get

Reason:

apt upgrade == apt-get upgrade --install-new-pkgs

This will avoid the drift @dibl mentioned.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Your problem with nvidia drivers and I quote

The reason of my post was a package from nvidia which replaced partially 390xx drivers without possibility to stop that

This is due to the fact you used apt upgrade

Let this be a lesson to you

If you want to carry on with the way you are using apt, at least do

Code: [Select]
apt update; apt upgrade -s
and you have to compare that with

apt update; apt full-upgrade -s
or

apt upgrade --install-new-pkgs -smelmarker beat me on this one

Humans are sometimes illogical

Live long and prosper
« Last Edit: 2019/02/12, 13:32:29 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline df8oe

• User
  • Linux von Innen
    • DF8OE
I was using apt (not apt-get) and so new packages would have been installed. The only difference to full-upgrade is that no packages are removed.

I am slightly confused. The drift dibl has mentioned cannot be the reason because new packages are accepted. I haven't made a snapshot before I ran into trouble but I am nearly sure it was a dependency of my installed packages... Otherwise there would have been more such issue reports!

David

I was using apt (not apt-get) and so new packages would have been installed. The only difference to full-upgrade is that no packages are removed.

I am slightly confused. The drift dibl has mentioned cannot be the reason because new packages are accepted. I haven't made a snapshot before I ran into trouble but I am nearly sure it was a dependency of my installed packages... Otherwise there would have been more such issue reports!

apt still tells you what packages are being removed, though.

I'm not sure where you can check it without actually performing an apt full-upgrade, but there is occasionally a series of warnings included with apt full-upgrades.

If I were to make a single recommendation to you, though, it would be to buy another hard drive that's the exact same size as your current one and back up your system onto it before apt upgrades. Trust me, it'll take a load off your chest.