Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] KDE Lagging other DEs in Wayland adoption/integration  (Read 3189 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] KDE Lagging other DEs in Wayland adoption/integration
« on: 2016/02/14, 12:47:17 »
Clearly not a native English speaker, but the information is clear enough: https://tlhp.cf/the-review-of-wayland-progress/

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline sunrat

• User
Re: KDE Lagging other DEs in Wayland adoption/integration
« Reply #1 on: 2016/02/14, 13:06:57 »
No surprise there. Wayland comes from Ubuntu land which has Gnome default. One could postulate that Wayland was written for Gnome and KDE will have to play catch-up.

Sorry, confused Wayland with Mir. Late night, sleepy post. Thanks for correction, melmarker.
« Last Edit: 2016/02/14, 19:21:45 by sunrat »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2016/02/14, 13:24:43 »
^^ erm - not so true - nothing of it :)

Ubuntu (Canonical) would love it it wayland would silently pass away, because of their own Mir project. And the assumtion about KDE is false too, it isn't KDE that has to catch up - they almost do and had a big shot with KF5 and kwin-wayland. Some Qt-things has to be improved, some things in kwin too - but the KDE guys are on the right track and are working on it.

EDIT: btw. Canonical relies heavy on Mir/Unity, not Gnome. And they started last year a big pissing contest with KDE, esp. Martin Graesslin about Mir and kwin.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2016/02/14, 19:56:40 »
Some Qt-things has to be improved, some things in kwin too - but the KDE guys are on the right track and are working on it.

Excellent, I am glad to hear that.  Yes, I know about the falling out with Jonathan Riddell -- not a smart move by Canonical IMHO.

Thanks Alf!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2016/02/14, 21:15:25 »
For canonical it make sense - face the truth, kde was and is the unloved child in the ubuntu world. Same as Gnome, but Gnome never get the recognition nor the userbase in Ubuntu. If you see other DEs in the Ubuntu Universe - LXDE, maybe the upcoming LXQt, they will never gain the attention like KDE did and are no real competition to Canonicals beloved main DE Unity
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)