Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [Solved] FYI:apt-get dist-upgrade segmentation fault  (Read 2302 times)

LRC1962

After not upgrading for 4 months I finally got to it.
Using my favourite script for that, smxi, I ran into a major problem. Without doing anything it claimed a segmentation fault (short general statement no indication as to what the problem was) and stopped. Thinking it maybe a smxi problem I got out of it and ran apt-get dist-upgrade. There came the same error.
My sincere apologies for not getting exact coding (I am currently using the windows version of a dual boot and I was working at init 3 and have been busy trying to get things running).
I then proceeded to just apt-get install and checking on d-u to see if there were any changes.
After going through about 1200 of 1400 packages I hit on the bad guy. network-manager was the package. Forces a removal of sysvinit-core (not sure if critical or not, but can not find anything broken) installed it. Went back to apt-get dist-upgrade and all packages there were on the list for removel/new/upgrade got done.
If sysvinit-core is critical can someone please tell me. Thanks.

Offline ayla

• User
Re: [Solved] FYI:apt-get dist-upgrade segmentation fault
« Reply #1 on: 2014/05/14, 07:49:28 »
As I read your post you d-u-ed now and your system is running?

Siduction has switched from sysvinit to systemd, so this package was to be removed. As long as your system is now running evrything should be ok. If not I can't guess what will happen... But take care with smxi. It's said here often that it is not a good choice for sid(uction). That may have changed in between, but if so, I've not heared of.

By the way: You should d-u (much) more often.

Greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2014/05/14, 08:09:11 by ayla »

LRC1962

« Reply #2 on: 2014/05/14, 17:33:07 »
Things are good then. My old MB blew up. Got a new computer and have just gotten around to get old drive put in and updated.
Thanks for help.

LRC1962

« Reply #3 on: 2014/05/15, 04:42:36 »
Follow up. Saw systemd working at boot and shut down.

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/05/15, 07:36:05 »
hmm...

if it works well you should encounter a much faster bootup compared to sysvinit...