Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?  (Read 9521 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« on: 2013/07/12, 15:35:04 »
Yesterday I had a problem with vlc and and .avi files. It was a d-u the day before that came with that problem, it worked before the d-u. So I disabled deb-multimedia, purged all vlc and ffmpeg and installed them again. Now the .avi files are working again.

I have had deb(ian)-multimedia enabled for several years but maybe I don't need it anymore.

Any comments?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« Reply #1 on: 2013/07/12, 15:45:07 »
No problems here with .avi

Tested with vlc, ffmpeg, smplayer, and mythtv
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline vilde

• User
Re: RE: Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« Reply #2 on: 2013/07/12, 16:38:31 »
Quote from: "piper"

Thats good piper but do you use deb-multimedia? My aim for this topic is a discussion about deb-multimedia or not?

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/07/12, 17:37:03 »
I keep the entry in my sources.list but it is disabled (commented out) by default. I only enable it if I *really* need something. Then I install selectivly only what I want and what does not create a problem.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dieres

• User
Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« Reply #4 on: 2013/07/12, 19:33:25 »
so do I. I never do a dist-upgrade with deb-multimedia enabled.
It has crashed my system once some time ago (perhaps a year or two) and It took me hours to fix it.
Now I comment it out just after I've used it. And then do a apt-get update after this.

Offline Geier0815

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/07/12, 22:49:13 »
If you only want to decode multimedia for playing it, you don't need it. But if you want to encode multimedia not only in free formats there is no way with debian only. I use it since many years and never had more trouble like with debian unstable. Sometimes you need to read what the dist-upgrade wants to do...
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/07/13, 09:25:45 »
SInce i got some problems wirh ffmpeg appr. one year ago, I diasbled mutlimedia (especally for ffmpeg!). Debian brings nearly all I need. If you eed HAndbrake or AVIdemux, you can install them and then disable it again.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/07/13, 10:15:20 »
I have deb-multimedia enabled since a long time and had not really problems with it at all.
The maintainer was/is always friendly and helpfull. Something I unfortunately cannot state about some debian-maintainers working on the same area of programs.

Maybe I just was lucky but I see no reason to disable it.

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/07/13, 16:31:22 »
Quote from: "ReinerS"
I have deb-multimedia enabled since a long time and had not really problems with it at all.
The maintainer was/is always friendly and helpfull. Something I unfortunately cannot state about some debian-maintainers working on the same area of programs.

Maybe I just was lucky but I see no reason to disable it.

regards

Reiner

I have been using DMM as well for a while and I also remember the hiccups with that repo but now it seems to be all cleaned up so had no further issues with those packages. Debian's own multimedia packages seemed to be lagging compared to DMM's in my opinion.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/07/13, 17:54:38 »
Because Debian is taken hostage of the libav fork?
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/07/13, 18:04:07 »
Quote from: "ralul"
Because Debian is taken hostage of the libav fork?

That could well be possible and Debian is stuck with the original ffmpeg stuff.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/07/13, 23:28:08 »
Quote from: "vilde"

Thats good piper but do you use deb-multimedia? My aim for this topic is a discussion about deb-multimedia or not?
Yes, I do use it and do a dist-upgrade with it enabled and have been doing so for many many years as well as  my other  machines  (mythtv server and clients)

You need deb-multimedia to get mythtv
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/08/13, 13:33:04 »
...Yes, I do use it and do a dist-upgrade with it enabled and have been doing so for many many years as well as  my other  machines  ...

Do you use special pinnings? If so, which?

As mentioned above, I use MM-deb. But I have learned to be cautious, so usually it's not enabled during ordinary d-u.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
RE: Re: RE: Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« Reply #13 on: 2013/08/13, 17:21:42 »
No, no special pinnings, I even build with it, well, I always make 2 builds, one the default siduction kde, and then my own, which is nothing special, just apps removed (that I don't ever use ) and apps added that I use (all in debian repo).

I have been doing it this way, building with MM-deb since sidux days (mythtv) and never had a problem. I do remember a problem with ffmpeg once, but that was fixed in under 12 hours.

Maybe I have been lucky, I have never had a problem and I have been using mythtv (repos always enabled) since the beginning and never had a problem, I hear so many "people" say "stay away" from that repo.

I just never had a problem on 4 of my machines.

In the past, I have been bitten by doing a du in X twice, kind of pissed me off at the time :) that was early days and I know what to look for so it won't happen again

Offline michaa7

• User
RE: Re: RE: Do I (we) need deb-multimedia?
« Reply #14 on: 2013/08/13, 19:56:54 »
Thanks piper.