Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  File conflict between libgcj14 and gcj-4.8-jre-headless  (Read 3601 times)

Santa

Hi,

recently I have experienced this bug: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=729022

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: File conflict between libgcj14 and gcj-4.8-jre-headless
« Reply #1 on: 2013/11/10, 19:11:11 »
We should do nothing - please let debian (doko) deal with this alone.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/11/10, 19:21:00 »
gcj will be declassified by upstream gcc
Instead use openjdk-7-jre
« Last Edit: 2013/11/10, 19:26:28 by ralul »
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2013/11/10, 19:47:09 »
Denkst Du eigentlich vor dem Posten manchmal nach, ralul? Das Paket ist fehlerhaft - Fehler löst man nicht, indem man was anderes verwendet.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2013/11/11, 01:47:55 »
Denkst Du eigentlich vor dem Posten manchmal nach, ralul? Das Paket ist fehlerhaft - Fehler löst man nicht, indem man was anderes verwendet.
Sorry falls ich zu kurz dachte ...aber Probleme kann man auch lösen, indem man Fehler umgeht. Das hat eine lange Tradition bei sidux-aptosid-siduction.
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #5 on: 2013/11/11, 11:32:29 »
Nur ein wenig - nichts für ungut. :)
Die Frage, warum überhaupt gcj installiert wurde, hab ich schon gestellt - im Ursprungspost. Fakt ist aber, dass da ein Paketierfehler vorliegt und der gelöst werden sollte. Wenn santa da große Aufwendungen betreiben muss, ist das imho sinnlos, weil, wie von Dir geschrieben, einfache Alternativen vorliegen.
Der Maintainer des Pakets dürfe doko aka M. Klose sein, der schert sich eh recht wenig um sid und was er grad kaputtmacht - aber er wird es sehr schnell fixen. Die Chance, dass das Paket bei debian gefixt ist (mit einer höheren Version) und verteilt wurde, bevor es auf unseren Mirrors ankommt, ist also recht hoch. Daher meine Meinung - debian fixen lassen und nichts tun.

Santa

« Reply #6 on: 2013/11/11, 20:28:21 »

We should do nothing - please let debian (doko) deal with this alone.

First of all, let me say that this post is potentially offensive. However the intention behind this post isn't to offend anyone, it's explaining myself.

In the bug report which I pasted in the original post the maintainer of gcc in debian (doko) asked for a patch:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=729022#10

Also the bug was marked with tag "help" meaning the maintainer is requesting help to fix this bug.

The bug was reported this Thursday 7 November: today is 11. I didn't open this thread right after I found the bug; I waited a bit before posting, I have been suffering the bug for a few days already.

Yesterday the server providing the svn repository where the gcc packaging is maintained went down:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-infrastructure-announce/2013/11/msg00001.html

Just a bit before debian's svn hosting went down I checked the svn repository looking for a possible fix, nothing was pushed to the repository related to this bug.

We have someone here asking for help to solve that issue and the first reply he got is in the line of "the solution is waiting" which is not a real solution
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=3973.0

All the things which I explained in the paragraphs above are just facts related this bug, not my opinion. However, if you ask my technical opinion about these facts, I think this whole thing is just a shame. Since this situation is just unacceptable, I might upload a package workarounding the issue to the experimental suite of our fixes repository.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #7 on: 2013/11/11, 20:38:25 »
I found nothing offensive in your post - and you are rigth, things should be fixed - allow me a but: the question  - do we really need this package fixed urgently? IMHO the question is:
* Is there a reason, why this package is installed?

If the package was installed intentionally, the next question is:
* Can this package substituted with openjdk or ..jre?

This should solve the most problems with gcj - gcj is a dead horse for years. And you are right, the situation in debian is a shame.