Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  How to install KDE's Plasma 5 in siduction  (Read 34585 times)

filhocf

Re: How to install KDE's Plasma 5 in siduction
« Reply #30 on: 2014/10/24, 13:48:51 »
I saw a strange behavior in Plasma 5 in my machine. Some gaps and hangs. When i saw the CPU, i found kded5 using 100% of CPU. I found some references about powerdevil and some packaging errors and asked my self if in siduction got this attention.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=337674

Santa

« Reply #31 on: 2014/10/27, 14:02:00 »
I saw a strange behavior in Plasma 5 in my machine. Some gaps and hangs. When i saw the CPU, i found kded5 using 100% of CPU. I found some references about powerdevil and some packaging errors and asked my self if in siduction got this attention.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=337674

KDE frameworks and plasma 5 packages in siduction are a spin off of kubuntu's ones, what I am doing right now is from time to time is:
  • get a snapshot
  • apply our siduction specific changes via an automated script
  • build the packages, fix  whatever needs to be fixed, test and release to kdenext.
So any problem fixed in kubuntu's packaging sooner or later will be also available in siduction.

The particular problem you are asking about probably is not fixed yet in siduction, but will be with the next batch of updates.

I hope that replies to your question.

filhocf

« Reply #32 on: 2014/10/27, 15:02:14 »
Hi Santa

You replied absolutly my question. I imagined that is a work "in batch", times in times, with your free time in adjust this spinoff.

So, i have two things to say:

1) Thank you by this big job in "translate" back this work in kubuntu (to siduction/debian); and

2) Some prevision to next batch/updade? ;-)

Santa

« Reply #33 on: 2014/11/01, 17:09:23 »
2) Some prevision to next batch/updade? ;-)

It's being worked on, I got everything built, but I'm still testing the upgrades and dealing with the issues. Also I had to fix a few issues in kubuntu's packaging, I guess I will send the patches back to kubuntu.

As usual: no estimated time to arrival, it will be released when it's done. Could be sooner or later depending on the results of my tests.

Santa

« Reply #34 on: 2014/11/03, 17:52:31 »
Done. Everything updated to kde frameworks 5.3.0 and plasma 5.1.0.1, please let me know of any problems you may consider I'm not aware of.

filhocf

« Reply #35 on: 2014/11/03, 18:14:50 »
Hi Santa

Thank you by your work. I will probe latter and I give a feedback as soon possible.

Anyway, a question: Some news about the qtbase-abi-5-x-x and qtdeclarative-abi-5-x-x pkgs? Yet have dependences in the Packages[1] and i could find them in the repo.

[1]http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext/dists/kde-frameworks-exp/main/binary-amd64/Packages

Santa

« Reply #36 on: 2014/11/03, 18:40:25 »

Hi Santa

Thank you by your work. I will probe latter and I give a feedback as soon possible.

Anyway, a question: Some news about the qtbase-abi-5-x-x and qtdeclarative-abi-5-x-x pkgs? Yet have dependences in the Packages[1] and i could find them in the repo.

[1]http://packages.siduction.org/kdenext/dists/kde-frameworks-exp/main/binary-amd64/Packages

Those packages just needed a rebuild to get their dependencies right (almost all dependencies are calculated when building the packages). All the affected packages where rebuilt in order to provide the latest upstream versions, therefore they should have the right dependencies and they should be installable now, and the dist-upgrade should work fine. If I'm wrong and the dist-upgrade doesn't work fine, please let me know so we can fix it for everybody.  ;)

gabrielb

« Reply #37 on: 2014/11/03, 19:24:59 »
Thank you, Santa!

A fresh installation worked flawlessly here :)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #38 on: 2014/11/03, 22:22:12 »
Thank you Santa.  I just ran d-u on the system I installed at Reply #21, which started out as December with KDE 4.x.  This d-u ran through to completion, and I've had a little bit of playing with it.  I can't find a problem with it -- even the multimedia setting is working as expected.

Nice work -- thanks!

Edit :  Here is a tiny nit -- "kdesu" does not initiate a package launch, it is necessary to use kubuntu's "kdesudo".  Here is a launch attempt in the terminal window:

Code: [Select]
$ kdesu konsole
/bin/sh: 1: kdesu: not found
$ kdesudo konsole
$

But, after "kdesudo konsole", and entering the root password, the launch fails silently, as you see.
« Last Edit: 2014/11/03, 22:33:48 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Santa

« Reply #39 on: 2014/11/10, 19:41:02 »
[snip]

Edit :  Here is a tiny nit -- "kdesu" does not initiate a package launch, it is necessary to use kubuntu's "kdesudo".  Here is a launch attempt in the terminal window:

$ kdesu konsole
/bin/sh: 1: kdesu: not found
$ kdesudo konsole
$

But, after "kdesudo konsole", and entering the root password, the launch fails silently, as you see.

I can't investigate this now because I still have several things to do in KDE SC 4 and Plasma 5. Added to my list of things to check.

By the way, there is another batch of updates in kdenext/kde-frameworks; they provide the newer KDE Frameworks 5.4.0, and a rebuild of Plasma 5 done to fix some packaging errors.

Soon there will be also a new upstream Plasma 5 release available (5.1.1) .

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #40 on: 2014/11/10, 20:19:33 »
I had not updated that VM since 3 NOV, so today I ran d-u and pulled in 371 packages, including the new KDE packages.  I installed pulseaudio and gstreamer0.10 packages, but the system-settings > multimedia audio settings still have no backend for the audio system, although the pavucontrol settings look reasonable.  The kdesu/kdesudo issue remains the same as I previously reported. 
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

tombh

« Reply #41 on: 2015/07/06, 23:23:53 »
A little bit off topic, but this is one of the top results in Google for installing KDE 5 in Debian. I've written up some instructions for installing Plasma 5 in Debian Sid using Siduction's repos: http://tombh.co.uk/plasma5-(kde5)-debian-sid/

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #42 on: 2015/07/07, 09:25:52 »
Hi dibl,

I ran into the same issue some days ago after transition to the new plasma.
Replacing the legacy phonon backend packages by the corresponding qt5 packages resolved this issue, maybe only partly.
# LANG=C dpkg -l *phonon* | grep backend
un  phonon-backend                        <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
un  phonon-backend-gstreamer              <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
ii  phonon-backend-gstreamer-common:amd64 4:4.8.2-0u1+siduction1 amd64        Phonon GStreamer 1.0.x backend icons
un  phonon-backend-mplayer                <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
un  phonon-backend-vlc                    <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
un  phonon-backend-xine                   <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
un  phonon4qt5-backend                    <none>                 <none>       (no description available)
ii  phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer:amd64    4:4.8.2-0u1+siduction1 amd64        Phonon Qt5 GStreamer 1.0 backend
ii  phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64          0.8.2-1u1+siduction1   amd64        Phonon4Qt5 VLC backend
Hope this helps  :)
Greetings
Tom

Update:
Sorry, I did not notice your postings timestamp that is my posting could be removed.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/07, 09:31:43 by samoht »

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #43 on: 2015/07/07, 13:01:05 »
That information could be useful, we'll leave it.  Heh, I did not even know there were that many backend packages, although my two Plasma 5 systems have good working audio.  Thanks.

Santa

« Reply #44 on: 2015/07/07, 14:08:10 »

Hi,

That information could be useful, we'll leave it.  Heh, I did not even know there were that many backend packages, although my two Plasma 5 systems have good working audio.  Thanks.

Just for the record, our kde-standard metapackage installs phonon4qt5-backend-vlc automatically so you will get the audio working out of the box.

A little bit off topic, but this is one of the top results in Google for installing KDE 5 in Debian. I've written up some instructions for installing Plasma 5 in Debian Sid using Siduction's repos: http://tombh.co.uk/plasma5-(kde5)-debian-sid/

Indeed the kdenext packages could be installed in debian because they don't depend on other stuff we have in the ther siduction repositories. Another story is upgrading from the current debian sid kde packages to kdenext, that wasn't actually tested (but I could add d-u test to my current routine), and I guess that's why you mentioned how to remove plasma and kde stuff from debian first.

Another thing: the instrucions in the first post are outaded, the current instructions (for siduction) are available in the KDE community wki:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

That being said, we have more stuff in siduction than kdenext, for instance towo is doing a splendid job providing us linux kernels more updated than debian, these kernels are also co-installable with debian's kernels, so if you have any problem with towo's you can always switch. You are very welcomed to try siduction and evaluate if you want to switch from debian sid. If you decide to stay with debian sid and keep using the kdenext packages you are also very welcomed to post in the forum if you find any issue.

I'm locking this topic now because it's outdated and may confuse users, we have a more updated thread here:
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5644.0

Feel free to continue the discussion there.