Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  SOLVED 14 OCT 2017 -- Caution -- python3 upgrade will remove hplip  (Read 5492 times)

Offline vilde

• User
Yes, hplip will be updated among other, and nothing will be removed for me either. XFCE.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Quote from: GoingEasy9
This LXQt has got to be the best DM I've had on this little machine in a while. So far everything works perfectly.

I'm running LXQt on two older laptops, one in my home and one elsewhere that only gets updated once or twice a month.  You are correct, it is a nice, light, highly functional DE.  Thanks to melmarker for that!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Yes dibl, I just looked at the github page and saw that it was melmarker who did such a fabulous job on LXQt (Razor-Qt).

@dibl  Is your hplip running from the menu after the update.  I have to type in /usr/bin/hp-toolbox from the terminal in order to make it run.  I can't find the menu configuration settings, so I'm at a loss at this point as to what is wrong.

Reportbug is also not responding from the menu.

I'm just wondering if it's happening to all LXQt users, or just me.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
I installed gir1, sent an initial bug report, then checked the errors thrown up by hp-check by verifying installation and versions of required applications, and, added then into an additional information e-mail.

By calling hp-toolbox in the terminal using /usr/bin/hp-toolbox, I was able to successfully setup my printer.  As I said in my bug report, the only problem I have is when I try to bring it up from the menu, under Preferences.  I've only used LXQt for 3 days now, I'll try playing with it more tomorrow.

FYI - This was Debian Bug#458803

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
ok, only for the records - i never used the GTK interface, i use reportbug only from the command line - same for hp-toolbox, my last HP Printer was in 1997 ... :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye

@GoinEasy9, I just played around with my LXQt laptop, and hplip, hplip-gui, CUPS, etc.  I'm not sure I understand everything that I see here, but I'll share the info and maybe you or Alf or someone else can use it.

1. My printer is a P1606dn -- an older laser printer that requires a proprietary HP plugin to function.
2. My LXQt system is shown below.
3. I don't have the gir1.2-vte-2.91 package installed, as shown below.

hplip and hplip-gui installed correctly and appear to run correctly, although hplip toolbox was strangely slow the first time I tried to use it. hp-check warns that sid is not supported, but it didn't find any required missing dependencies. It did install the proprietary plugin and then I sent a test page and it is printing correctly.

So, I can print from this system, and I can use hplip toolbox which is now parked on the panel.

Code: [Select]
root@n5110:/# apt policy gir1.2-vte-2.91
gir1.2-vte-2.91:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.50.1-1
  Version table:
     0.50.1-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
root@n5110:/# inxi -Fz
System:    Host: n5110 Kernel: 4.13.4-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: LXQt                                                       
           Distro: siduction 17.1.0 Patience - lxqt - (201703051830)           
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Inspiron N5110 serial: <filter>                                                                             
           Mobo: Dell model: 034W60 v: A11 serial: <filter>                   
           BIOS: Dell v: A11 date: 08/03/2012                                 
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB             
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 2195 MHz 2: 2195 MHz 3: 2195 MHz     
           4: 2195 MHz                                                         
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller     
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.4 )                                 
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)                         
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz                                       
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile                 
           version: 3.3 Mesa 17.2.2                                           
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller   
           driver: snd_hda_intel                                               
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.13.4-towo.1-siduction-amd64                       
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169                                                       
           IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>                               
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak]               
           driver: iwlwifi                                                     
           IF: wlp9s0 state: up mac: <filter>                                 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (11.8% used)                                 
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSA2CW08 size: 80.0GB                 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 16G used: 6.9G (47%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1         
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%)                         
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2                                             
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present         
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A                           
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A                                       
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 829.7/3863.2MB               
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.40
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline Camelot

• User
I use hp-setup -i for my old HP LaserJet 1018. I don't need a GUI

Alternative hannah-foo2zjs without HPLIP.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
Good Morning

I'm starting to think that the huge update had something to do with my hplip problems.  For the record, I have an Officejet 6700 Pro, which runs wireless.  HPLIP allows me to check the manual install, enter the static IP address and it sets the printer up, every time.  Cups isn't always as forgiving.

Now, last night, I ran update-menus, and the HP icon appeared in the system tray.  Clicking on the icon, it came up. The printer was already installed from earlier, but, hplip-gui is functioning fine.

I ran patience LXQt live, on a desktop, and the printer settings menu entry was working fine, not like on my EEEpc that was updated. I'm now installing it on a desktop, and will do the update, and see if it affects hplip on the desktop like it did the EEEpc.

Thanks for all the responses.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
So, it seems it was the massive update. From the Prefernces men, "Printer Settings" was working after installation, but, after the update it is not. I installed hplip-gui and it would not work off of the Preferences menu, so, I executed a /usr/bin/hp-toolbox and the HP icon appeared on the system tray.  Pressing the icon did nothing until I ran update-menus and rebooted. Now, hp-toolbox runs from the icon but not from the Preferences menu.

At this point I'll wait till I hear back from the hplip maintainer before looking any further. As long as I have it working from the icon, I'm good.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Offline tommy2

• User
@GoinEasy9, I let hplip go as mentioned above and reinstalled all seems to be working fine.  :)

Tom

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
@tommy2 Thanks for the response.

I removed hplip and hplip-gui and reinstalled, but, it didn't make a difference on my machine.  It's ok, printer is set up and I'm going to take melmarker's advice and draw LXQt from experimental and experiment.

Offline tommy2

• User
@GoinEasy9, let us know how it works out!

tom