Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] SOLVED -- Plasma/KDE, Virtual Desktop Switching  (Read 3453 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] SOLVED -- Plasma/KDE, Virtual Desktop Switching
« on: 2020/06/27, 13:57:04 »
Does anyone see a way to set switching to use the mouse wheel, as it was before the transition?

If not, I think we'll spend the next 6 months un-learning that habit!   :'(
« Last Edit: 2020/06/29, 23:28:41 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline bevo

• User
Re: Plasma/KDE, Virtual Desktop Switching
« Reply #1 on: 2020/06/27, 14:35:29 »
@dibl
deactivate the left handed switch button by right klick. than klick apply using the right button.
bevo

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/06/27, 14:45:48 »
dibl,
I was preparing to do a full-upgrade and came here to check just in case. I wasn't happy seeing your post, it's one of the features I really like.I am fully upgraded and still have the feature, nothing has changed here. Roll the wheel, the Virtual Desktop changes.Mouse Actions in Desktop Settings are as they were: Vertical Scroll is set to 'Switch Desktop'.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2020/06/27, 16:31:20 »
This is so strange! On another upgraded siduction system with similar hardware (Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics, etc.) there is no problem with the desktop cube and virtual desktop switching.

On the problem system, the settings are as expected (screenshot). I suspected my old Microsoft mouse so I tried it with a Logitech mouse, and the problem remains the same.

Quote from: bevo
...by right klick

@bevo -- where shall I do the right-click?

Thanks!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline bevo

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2020/06/27, 16:53:07 »
oops  :-[ my setting panel looks different.
I'm not sure if my screenshot is attached

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2020/06/27, 17:40:11 »
Quote from: bevo
oops  :-[ my setting panel looks different.

LOL -- I don't know what that is -- I've never seen it before!   ;D

Since I have one updated system working correctly, with similar hardware, I think maybe I'm facing some kind of configuration issue.  The vertical scroll wheel is working on some packages, like email, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. I tried downgrading systemsettings from the norbert preining repository back to the Debian repo, but that made no difference. I reinstalled kwin-x11 and plasma-desktop and that made no difference. I know there are many tweakable settings under the plasma configuration files, so I think I'm doomed to go digging in there.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2020/06/27, 18:48:31 »
Switching virtual desktops with mousewheel (or, in my case, touchpad vertical edge scroll) does not work when the mousepointer is anywhere on the desktop. But at least when the cursor hovers over the desktops symbol in the panel, then scrolling switches desktops.
@bevo & @dibl: bevo showed mouse settings, via controlcenter-hardware-inputdevices (I hope, i've german desktop, too). dibl showed desktop settings via rightclick background-settings-mouseactions. (and here the settings are the same and do not work...)
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2020/06/27, 19:44:09 »
I use Xfce4 as opposed to Plasma and like der_bud, with the cursor over the panel, scrolling switches desktops but with two finger scrolling in any direction(laptop with touchpad). Vertical scrolling does nothing. I can select it though in the touchpad settings

Is there not a virtual desktop setting somewhere in plasma?

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2020/06/27, 20:33:13 »
Quote from: eriefisher
Is there not a virtual desktop setting somewhere in plasma?

Yes, under System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Virtual Desktops, you set the number of rows and number of VDs in each row. So 1 row with 4 VDs sets the cube. But how you switch it is not defined there.  There's also Desktop Effects where you choose how to animate the switch (cube, slide, etc.), but again no setting for how to switch.

I found bevo's setting under Hardware > Input Devices.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2020/06/27, 22:08:28 »
Ha, got it working. As I have german localization, hopefully I translate it correctly. This is what I did:
 - rightclick desktop - unlock widgets
 - rightclick desktop - Settings
 - Layout was Folderview --> Changed it to Workspace (? Arbeitsfläche)
 - answered yes to question that some settings have to be applied
=> immediately mousewheel switches Virtual Desktops. Hope it helps ;)
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #10 on: 2020/06/27, 23:42:59 »
Aha!  Well, that's an excellent hint -- when I went to "unlock" widgets, that function is not on my desktop.  I never noticed that I don't have it any more, after the transition.  So, what package provides the locking and unlocking of the widgets?

EDIT: With a little google help, I suspected I was missing some plasma packages.  I discovered what is missing this way:

Code: [Select]
don@dibl-patience:~$ sudo apt install -s plasma-widgets-addons
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libqt5webengine5 qml-module-qtwebengine qml-module-qtwebkit
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libqt5webengine5 plasma-widgets-addons qml-module-qtwebengine qml-module-qtwebkit
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Inst qml-module-qtwebkit (5.212.0~alpha4-4 Debian:unstable [amd64])

With these packages installed, and if I put the cursor over the pager on the panel, the mouse wheel will turn the cube.

But, the switching used to happen on the desktop itself, not only on the panel.  And that is the way my other system still works.  So there is more to learn on this topic. And I still don't have the "Lock" and "Unlock" widgets function -- so there is more fixing to do on this system.

Vielen dank, @der_bud!
« Last Edit: 2020/06/28, 00:15:42 by dibl »

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: 2020/06/28, 10:46:25 »
Reading about Plasma 5.18, we don't have to "Lock Widgets" and "Unlock Widgets" any more.  We have the Global Edit mode instead. So that question is answered.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2020/06/28, 11:45:50 »
Is this version from the official Debian repro , mine still showing  5.17.5

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2020/06/28, 12:03:12 »
No, this is the new 5.18.0 from the Norbert Preining repo.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2020/06/28, 12:49:58 »
titan, for an explanation take a look in this thread: https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=7990.msg64817#msg64817
I am on standard siduction+debian repos, so still on 5.17. For this, with my workaround desktop switches when I scroll anywhere on the desktop. For 5.18 this might be still 'work in progress', and sometimes this or that little library on Norberts repo comes later.

Just for comparison, these ar all my installed packages with plasma in their name or description:  http://pb.5id.eu/fsXE  ; and these are the ones with widget in their name or description:  http://pb.5id.eu/WPHa

Now reading dibls link on plasma 5.18 and looking forward to that. Other good articles are often seen on https://pointieststick.com/ (devil mentions them sometimes)