Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [Solved] 13-Aug dist-upgrade breaks LXDE  (Read 9551 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 13-Aug dist-upgrade brea
« Reply #15 on: 2013/08/16, 00:02:28 »
I have messed around trying to verify that I have all the necessary LXDE packages installed, and I think I do, but I still cannot get past the slim login manager. I don't mind reinstalling on this netbook, but in case the problem is with the system (vs. the user), perhaps I should request assistance and review the system configuration.  Is there a list somewhere of the required packages for a complete LXDE desktop?   (Tomorrow is soon enough -- I know what time it is in Europe!)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

timc

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 13-Aug dist-upgrade brea
« Reply #16 on: 2013/08/16, 00:28:22 »
In the past half hour or so, there are some new packages, including lxpanel, that have made major improvements with the problem. I can now get a working panel at login, but to get it, I had to add "@lxpanel" to ~/,config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. That never had to be there, before.

Also, my key combinations (such as Super+w to open the web browser) no longer work. It seems they have made many changes to the way LXDE works.

Tim

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 13-Aug dist-upgrade
« Reply #17 on: 2013/08/16, 17:08:34 »
Quote from: "dibl"
I have messed around trying to verify that I have all the necessary LXDE packages installed, and I think I do, but I still cannot get past the slim login manager. I don't mind reinstalling on this netbook, but in case the problem is with the system (vs. the user), perhaps I should request assistance and review the system configuration.  Is there a list somewhere of the required packages for a complete LXDE desktop?   (Tomorrow is soon enough -- I know what time it is in Europe!)

My bad -- the problem was something in the user's home folder configuration.  Deleting the user and his home folder, and then adding the new user solved the issue -- LXDE desktop and panel are behaving as expected for a new user, so I concur this is a solved item.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

timc

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 13-Aug dist-upgr
« Reply #18 on: 2013/08/16, 22:18:03 »
The reason my key combos don't work again is because LXDE is once again mis-mapping keycode 133, even though I have code in place to remap it, correctly. I suspect the problem is that my code is in the same file where I had to add code to start lxpanel, yesterday.

Damn, this mess just goes around and around.

Here is that file, ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart:

Code: [Select]

@lxpanel
@xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

Why is the xmodmap command no longer being executed?

Tim

timc

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 13-Aug dist-upgr
« Reply #19 on: 2013/08/16, 23:19:15 »
Ok, I got the preceding post's problem fixed with coruja's help. I learned that the autostart in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE, if found, prevents the autostart in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE from being executed. After that tidbit of info, it was easy to put everything I need into ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and have it all work in a consistent manner.

Now my LXDE profile works, my lxpanel looks nice like it used to, and my key combos work. Everything is good, again.

Tim