Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Applets do not function as designed  (Read 8813 times)

mdavies5

Applets do not function as designed
« on: 2014/11/30, 03:01:22 »
1. In Configure Date Applet, select "Use custom format" and "Show Information...". Error: "Failed to execute child process 'xdg-open' (no such file or directory)".
2. Click the Keyboard Applet and select "Show Character Table". Error:  "Failed to execute child process 'gucharmap'' (no such file or directory)".
3. Click Trash Applet. It opens but also displays an error dialog: " No decoder found for trash".

I hope this assists the developers and thanks for a great release!
Michael

mdavies5

Re: Applets do not function as designed
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/30, 04:23:11 »
I have just found out why item 3 fails. When I click trash it opens Audacious for some resaon which then reports that it cannot encode the Trash folder. Even if I set my default music player to Clementine, Trash will still try to start Audacious. That's weird.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/30, 09:28:18 »
Could you give us some info about your used desktop environment please?

greetz
devil

mdavies5

« Reply #3 on: 2014/12/01, 01:46:35 »
Hi Devil,
I did a standard install from this ISO: siduction-14.1.0-indiansummer-cinnamon-amd64-201411230307. I should make it clear that the trash icon on the desktop works fine. All my comments in the first post refer to the applets added to the panel.

mdavies5

« Reply #4 on: 2014/12/01, 02:06:45 »
Update. I removed the Trash applet and re-installed and the same problem; tried to open Audacious. I removed Audacious and the trash applet worked fine. I re-installed Audacious and the Trash applet failed again. Really weird

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/12/01, 14:09:33 »
You should inform the developer of said plugin. I have a similar case with KDE and a plugin opening the wrong stuff from the panel.

greetz
devil

mdavies5

« Reply #6 on: 2014/12/02, 00:35:19 »
Thanks, I have now reported it to the author. When I get time I will test it in other distros. I have used the applet in Mint LMDE for years with no problem but I don't have audacious installed.

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/12/02, 09:45:08 »
mdavies5, there is an older post in Mint Forum about Audacious is set to open folders instead of default file manager. Perhaps you can work around it like written there (chose your filemanager):  (SOLVED) Audacious tries to open trash icon
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

mdavies5

« Reply #8 on: 2014/12/03, 00:06:31 »
Thanks der_bud, The link you sent is dealing with a slightly different problem. Opening Audacious for the first time always opens the ///Trash folder. If you select another folder and then close audacious and re-open it, then it will open in the last selected folder. If you now close audacious and open ///Trash from the Panel applet, then audacious will again start in the ///Trash folder. I've tested this in Siduction and Mint 17, both with Cinnamon. This is clearly an Audacious bug.
My problem is quite the opposite. Using the panel trash applet causes Audaciuos to open in both Siduction and Mint 17  Cinnamon. The applet is trash@cinnamon.org which I don't think is used in the Mate desktop you linked to.
It's not a fatal problem as a user can either drop audacious or the applet but I reported it as audacious is included by default with Siduction and
the developers may want to be aware of the bug.
Cheers